Author Topic: Neck Post Conversions - Ideas/Tips  (Read 15636 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Neck Post Conversion Kit
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Interesting idea Ben, but probably way out of my league.  I guess I don't have any universal methods to solving problems like this, I just take them one at a time and kind of like making each custom in a different way.  I'm sure that someone out there would be able to work on this though?

:P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I think that's a fantastic idea.  I was trying to figure out how to "make" neck ball-joints from scratch, but the best that I could come up with would be to use ball-end pins and some green stuff putty.  I'm not sure how that would work in practice, so an actual "kit" would be very helpful.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 02:18 PM »
I think one of the problems is that each Hasbro ball jointed head is a different size so the generic neck peg may not work for all of them.  However, you could probably take a neck from a ball joint and glue it to a neck post bottom and them make a mold of it and cast new pieces.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 02:52 PM »
I know I started this subject, I should do it myself, but  I already tackling the alien head deal. I tell you what, if no one here or at RS could do this project, I will take over it. My only problem is lack of raw materials to get started. I would need samples of diffrent heads and neck posts. I do not do this type of custom works anymore so I do not have any fodder laying arround to make molded samples. If some one would help me by providing head samples and bodies with diffrent neck posts, I will make casts and come up with the kit.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I was talking to the Hasbro sculpter for awhile at C3, he uses marbles or other small rounds spheres and sculpts the lower part of the neck and then casts it. With the ammount of casting involved I think someone with enough experience would need to take this one on. I have an idea that might work but it would take some complicated casting using RTV molds. And ou would need 2 of whatever head it was you are using. I've got to get to class now, but I'll see if I can put my idea into words later.
"This is the way."

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 4, 2006, 04:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I need help tying to track down all the diffrent peg head styles that are out there. Can some one post pictures of sample head types that everyone uses so I can start this kit. Thank you.

Jedi_ Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2006, 08:30 PM »
yeah I'll be sure to help you Im doing alot of B & P ing tonight so I'll be sure to send a few pics your way

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: April 4, 2006, 08:33 PM »
The trouble is that even for the older figures a lot them have different sized neck posts. This project probably won't be easy, but from what I've seen of your work, you shouldn't have many problems with it.
"This is the way."

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 6, 2006, 06:57 PM »
Hi everyone,

OK all you doubters out there, I did it!!! I figured out how to do this conversion, with very minimal effect. Here is the breakdown:

OK, we all know that each head we boil and pop has different neck shafts and base disks. So I was rattling my brain on trying to figure out how to universities the peg to go into the body. I had an old POTF2 Obi Wan body that I boiled and pop a long time ago. I took my monster maker clay and started to play around with the torso. I pushed in some of the clay into then neck hole and then started to shape a neck post out of the clay. I had my VOTC Han head next to the body and started to fit it to the neck post. I sculpted then neck and got it to it was a working condition with the ball joint head. Now the interesting thing that happened was the post was stuck on the body and I just could not get it out and then it dawned on me... What is the most common factor amongst ball jointed figures???? Their neck posts are part of the torso!!! That cracked it for me, the neck post conversion kit would be GLUED to the peg hole to be permanently fixed in place. Since all customizers make a custom, they do not try to restore the figure to its original condition, gluing the neck post would just be one more step in making the custom figure. So here are some pictures to illustrate the my concept:

Now the next task is to get as many sample custom fodder bodies without the heads and make the neck post to cover the various styles of bodies. The ball joints diameters would be a standard size one for females and one for males. This will be an on going work in progress since I do not have but a small few loose figures and hardly no custom fodder since I sculpt my customs not chop shop them. I will compile an initial list of bodies that I have notice that get customize a lot and then I will leave it open for everyone to submit their wish list. If I do not have the body, I would need someone to loan or donate the body for the conversion process. I will be making the cast of each neck post since it would allow me to provide customizers the purchase my alien heads to use them with the older bodies.

I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on this since this will greatly benefit you all with the direction that Hasbro is going with the design of the newer figures.

Thanks for your time,

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 6, 2006, 11:23 PM »
I need to think about this some more but I think your solution would work well for your custom ball jointed heads but I'm pretty sure that Hasbro's ball sockets are not universally the same size.  For example, the clone heads from the #6 and #41 troopers aren't universally sized.  I'm pretty sure that is the case for some of the other figures too.  Anyone thats made lots of ball joint swaps have an opinion?

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 7, 2006, 12:11 AM »
Hey everyone,

BrentS: you have a valid point and I did take that into consideration. I would make several neck posts that would cover the range of ball socket (except stormtroopers and clone troopers, to big of a ball). From what I have seen in most new figures as they are taken apart at RS photo gallery, the balls are close, not perfect. If the head is loose on the neck pole, then all you have to do is fill it with some plastic welder 2 part epoxies that you can get at Wal-mart and cover the neck post in either Vaseline or saran wrap and sick it in and let the plastic cure on the neck post. Otherwise, I will make various neck kits that will be made to order. Example " I would like a Hoth Leia neck with a small female ball joint, please." Once I have an inventory of stock necks, I will be able to adjust to the needs of the customizer. Of course, some of the fun in customizing is solving problems that come about doing chop shop toy designs. Bottom line, I have proven my plan could work and that is what I was trying to accomplish and now have succeeded. As for distribution, for right now, I think I will work on a case-by-case scenario based on the needs of each customizer choice of body they are customizing.

Thanks for the input and I deeply respect your feedback, it does shed light on to other issues besides the engineering design process.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #26 on: April 7, 2006, 12:19 AM »
Ben,

This is a great idea and I think that the way that you are going about it is perfect.  While many ball-joints do not work well with each other, I think having 1 sized ball-joint will be fine (as you mentioned, we can rework the size of the head socket). 
This is a great project that you're working on and when you finish it up, it will be a great asset to the customizing community!  Thanks for doing this Ben!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Thank you Gregorbian, i was getting to wonder if I was spinning my wheels for nothing. If at least one person could benifit from this project, then I feel better going into this. I just hated the idea that a good sculpt like Adi Gallia would be neglected because it is a peg head body.  Now with this idea of mine, you could use a Aayla Secura head on that body or even one of my alien head sculpts ;D.

Thanks again for the support, it means a lot to me.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #28 on: April 7, 2006, 11:08 AM »
THis is a great idea JMB,but a huge undertaking.
I have a few ideas. PM sent.

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #29 on: April 7, 2006, 04:21 PM »
wow.. that prototype turned out great and does open up a lot of possibilities for the old POTF2 figures.

And having a kit with a few ball socket sizes would work out the best.  Eventhough if not every head would fit perfectly, it wouldn't be that hard to mod the socket of the individual head to fit which ever neck post size  was the closest fit.
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.