Author Topic: Neck Post Conversions - Ideas/Tips  (Read 15639 times)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Neck Post Conversions - Ideas/Tips
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:00 PM »
hows it done?  i checks ffurg and wasn't able to find anything and wasn't able to find anything here.  i think i have the basic idea, and i'll be trying on some fodder first to test, but before i ruin a still possibly useful head i wanted some advise before i start.  i have a dremel & a drill with bits.  here's my plans so far: replace the evil grim evo darth maul head with the saga training darth maul, use eu luke head to make a jedi luke using evo ani body, using jedi council mace head and putting it on a repainted pilot obi, and finally using a rots palpy and putting it on evo darth sidious, just can't get over the super evil grin.  so any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: peg heads to ball heads
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:35 PM »
are you turning peg heads into ball heads?

if so i have done this a few times with gijoes. it is pretty much just a cut and glue job, but i always find that drilling a small hole in the flat edge of the ball and base of the head, on the cut surface, and putting some type of post is very helpful, glue the post into both sides as well. it allows you to still move the new ball head around with out having to be gentle, it makes it more sturdy than just being glued.

hope it turms out well!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Ok, I'll try and explain this tonight, with a tutortial of how I do it (even though it's probably not the easiest way to do it).

:P

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 06:43 PM »
well i kind of got the idea like i said i'm sure i just have to cut off the neck and dripp into the head a bit with the right sized bit but i don't want to melt a head by drilling it to fast, or anything like that.  i don't have that much in the way of fodder i usually only buy what i know i'll use/need and don't have much extras much less have say a spare eu luke head just laying around in case i give him his brain a sun roof.  so thanx for any tips.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Ball jointed heads are nice, but they're KILLING the hobby!!!   >:(

And they don't really even look that good most of the time.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 10:23 PM »
Ball jointed heads are nice, but they're KILLING the hobby!!!   >:(

And they don't really even look that good most of the time.

Really? I LOVE ball jointed heads! I think it's a great part of articulation in that it both gets a better range of angles and it makes the heads' jawlines more defined; which looks better in my book.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 10:51 PM »
Ok, I don't know if this will help or not, but here's my attempt to try and assist you (sorry about the stupid pink string thing that is on the carpet, we had a Halloween party this weekend and some girls were in pink outfits, so it must be their fault)!

1 - Basic figure being disassembled the easy way, already a pop off joint head.

2 - Using my trusty Walmart dremel, I "trim" the peg down some, making it a tad shorter if needed, but definitely thinner.  Not too thin though as I want to keep some strong plastic intact.

3 - Once that is done, and I have selected the new head to be used, I use a pair of pliers to hold the head in place while I use the dremel to carefully make a hole to hollow out part of the head.  I have to be careful here, because one slip and I can easily go too deep with the drill and have it come out the other end of his head, or make the hole too wide and tear up part of the neck.

4 - After a few tries to get a snug fit, I find the right amount of drilling to get the head to fit on the trimmed down neck peg.

5 - With this one, he already has a second head hollowed out courtesy of the clone helmet.

Ready for action!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 11:03 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 01:54 AM »
And, for refernce, here's better pics as the size of the drill bit I use.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 11:35 AM »
Here is how i've done it.

If you have a dremel or any rotary tool get one of these bits.

Its the one second form the last.

Just cut off the peg to the chin, then its a little by little process casue you dont want to make the hollowed out part too big or the head will be loose.

Grind a little then try to fit it and keep going till your are happy with the fit.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 11:43 AM »
I think FFURG needs some updated tutorials. I don't think there are articles on ball joints and swapping them with regular joints. You guys need to submitt some new articles to Jason.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 03:37 PM »
thanks for all your help you guys it's much appreciated.  i'll let you everybody know how i did on the fodder heads.  and if it works like i hope it will i'll try it out on the actual heads i want to swap with. and yes phruby FFURG definately needs and update, it seems like most of there stuff is POTF2 as far as recipes/references/and how to's go anyway.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 09:15 PM »
HA! CHEWIE, that is classic. :D
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:35 PM »
classic

they  stoles it from me filthy hobbitses

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I think I need to send Jason some new recipes for FFURG.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Neck Post Conversion Kit
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

As I am sitting here sculpting my alien heads, I had a thought. Hasbro is leaning towards ball jointed heads on almost every new figure thats comming out this year as well as last year. I was wondering, would it be to our advantage if we had a neck post conversion kit that would make the older peg bodies into ball joint bodies. For example, look at the break  down of this Bib Fortuna figure.

Notice that the neck is a peg that also a ball joint. I propose that we take the mantel and make a kit that would do the same thing so we can boil and pob the older head, then place the neck post kit in its place and slap on a ball jointed head. The question would be, who will step up and take on this project. I think we could greatly benifit from this.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben