Author Topic: New JD Review: Firespeeder Pilot  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Firespeeder Pilot
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:46 AM »
New week, new review...

This go-round we're going to look at a blink-and-you-miss-him character from Star Wars' finale...  The irony is he was there more than you maybe even noticed.  The double irony is that this background character gets one of Hasbro's better efforts in 2006...  How he gets this kind of quality and other figures don't is beyond me, but I love it...

This week's review is for the Firespeeder Pilot:

Clicky Button, Ready Review

So what's' the word here?  Well, obviously I'm happy...  I've bought about 5 of the Firespeeder Pilot and if he were in any abundance I'd have bought 5 more by now...  Unfortunately I don't see many of them around ever, anywhere.  It's disappointing considering this is truly one of the finer figures in 2006 and a real surprise for me...  I love him.

The quality is abundant with him, but his poseability is great...  The fact these guys aren't just firefighters makes me want a much larger army of them to support my Clones too...  I just hope this figure isn't done shipping for good now because I could use more.

Read the full review though and see where some rotten aspects surfaced...  Namely Hasbro's cheap plastic rearing its ugly head...  He, like all figures, is not without flaw.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Firespeeder Pilot
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:31 AM »
Maybe for the flimsy barrel you could push a pin into the barrel or a needle and clip off the end? This would keep it straight with a little "skeleton" inside.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:07 PM »
It's definitely an option wordweaver...  Most people don't feel they can or want to alter their figures though so it's a good enough solution for customizers but not so great for non-customizers I guess.

Personally I'm living iwth them as they are simply out of laziness...  It's bothersome but didn't impact my opinion of the figure being positive, so that's something I can deal with.

I find Amanaman's staff to be much more problematic as limp accessories go.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Nice review JJ, sums it up quite nicely. He one of those characters/figure sculpts that make for a great background character for any Hanger, Outlander Club, Pod Race, Tatooine Street/Market, Jabba's Palace or Cantina diorama. A true army builder and a sweet base for a slew of custom figures.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 03:10 AM »
He'd make a nice base for a "construction worker" in the customizing world...  That's definitely a positive on the figure if customizing is your thing.  With some work it'd be easy to see these guys putting together the galaxy's ultimate weapon or working in a shipyard somewhere.  Fodder is definitely a plus.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 10:53 AM »
Great review Jesse... and I suppose he would make for a good background character or even custom fodder.   I am very dissappoint to see 12 points of articulation on him where Hasbro has skimped on so many other, more deserving characters (in my opinion).   I posted  my first reply to a review this morning on Momaw and this probably makes my 4th or so.   In some of the others, I noted that I have started to become much more picky when spending my $$$ on prequel figures and this is one I have passed on.  Which is why I was disappointed on the amount of detail and articulation on it.   I understand why it is such a favorite for others, but one I care even less about than most of the figures Jesse considers "dull" like Lushos and others.  I will probably get all the upcoming Naboo wave except holo Darth Maul and possibly Obi-Wan, depending on what he looks like upfront and if I see any noticable improvements.   Maybe I'll just wait for Jesse's review on that one....  anyway, I liked and agreed with Jesse's review, but I'm passing on the Firespeeder Pilot.