Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305117 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #1200 on: May 5, 2010, 10:13 AM »
I've noticed that new Star Wars sites are starting to sprout up left and right.  Wondering if Hasbro will start limiting each site to only 1 question?  Started out fairly light and steady, but it seems to me like it might be a lot of work on their end now especially when all of the sites actually ask different questions.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1201 on: May 5, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I've noticed that new Star Wars sites are starting to sprout up left and right.  Wondering if Hasbro will start limiting each site to only 1 question?  Started out fairly light and steady, but it seems to me like it might be a lot of work on their end now especially when all of the sites actually ask different questions.

Another effect of the increase in sites is the missing of the deadline to get the answers back to the participating sites. I think in 2010, they haven't made one yet.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #1202 on: May 5, 2010, 11:27 AM »
It does seem odd to have new sites, considering fan interest is down...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1203 on: May 5, 2010, 03:11 PM »

Another effect of the increase in sites is the missing of the deadline to get the answers back to the participating sites. I think in 2010, they haven't made one yet.  :P

Yeah we've come to expect them a day or two late here for sure.

I'm just glad they do the Q&A, as I think at times it's insightful, at times it's got surprises, at times it's funny...  I hope they don't cut back because of new sites though, but I could see it happening.  I don't know why new sites are sprouting like weeds, but there does seem to be a spring of them lately.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1204 on: June 2, 2010, 03:35 PM »
So you want more Q&A?  You got it!

Hasbro's back with the latest round of sound out of Pawtucket...

This time...

-Can we maybe expect more modernized versions of Vintage figures in their goofy inaccurate outfits?  Kind of like continuing the 4-LOM/Zuckuss set?

-What's the specifics on the Mail-In Fett offer?  5 POP or what?  Spill it!

Head On Out to the Front Page to read the answers!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1205 on: June 4, 2010, 05:00 AM »
I caught this Q at Yoda's News and I'm not so sure I agree:

YN: Most of us, including Hasbro, consider the Build-a-Droid idea the best one yet.  An idea I think that would top BAD is potentially in your UGH Vintage collection. Many collectors did not pursue previous UGH.  A sticker, or a gold coin, did not inspire us to pick up additional figures.  How about, if the vintage UGH was a figure that was painted or done up in it’s vintage style, retro deco colors?  Picture if you will, us looking for a Power Droid, Walrusman, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Death Squad Commander, a plastic cape Jawa as UGH figures in addition to their counterparts that are purchased in today’s colors.  I, and I know many of us, would welcome such a hunt. Please think about this idea.

Hasbro: You have hit upon something that we are thinking about, and that is tapping into the vintage Kenner deco schemes in a meaningful way.  We are currently doing this for the reverse 4-LOM/Zuckuss for Celebration V, which turned out really great.  With a good number of these vintage-inspired decos on tap, it's possible that we will deliver more as future convention-type exclusives or in other ways (basic figures being one possibility as well).

I'd like vintage-ish figures, that's not my qualm, but rather my thought is that making them UGH is going to piss many off...  Hasbro's attempts in the past to make UGH appealing to smaller sects of the collecting world was an effort NOT to piss off large clumps of people looking for figures to complete their collection that are intentionally difficult to find. 

Sometimes UGH is easy to find, and sometimes not...  Around here, the silver holo-figures were pretty rough to find, at all.  The gold coins were easier.  Where would the figures, repainted to look vintage, fall though?  I can only imagine they'd be the most difficult UGH to track down, and that would piss off many collectors.  Just my take...  I don't look at hunting for "chase" **** as an enjoyable aspect to this hobby though.  Actually to me, I'm really not into "chasing" anything if I can avoid it. 

BAD was fun, and you got something out of it, for your money...  Not because you were chasing it around.  Making intentionally hard to find figures is a sure-fire way to annoy more than you're going to make happy.  I'm kind of glad this hobby isn't Hot Wheels, and really want it to stay that way as much as possible.  Making the pack-in coins was cool, and I found them all even and was happy to complete a set, but with actual basic figures, I  feel sure I'd be less than thrilled tracking them down.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 4, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Yeah, I think you're right there Jesse.  The UGH stuff, although I haven't actively pursued it, has been very hit and miss here locally.  I never saw any of the first round (foil card) ones, but did see a few gold coin ones from the second batch here and there.  I think if they made "vintage colored" variants a chase figure, they would be next to impossible to find.  And, although I hate to use the words, "scalper bait".  You know those would be getting snapped up like crazy and going for ridiculous money on ebay.  Plus, things like this (vintage color figures) would likely be something anyone collecting the vintage line would want to have, whereas the previous UGH things (card/coin differences) seemed to be hit and miss.  Some chased them, some could care less.

In theory, the "chase figure" thing should make a line a little more fun.  But, it just doesn't work in this collecting climate.  These days, there are too many people buying them up just to make money, not to "collect".  Although inflated prices would stink, if they could keep them normal, I'd almost rather see them be store/online/convention exclusives or something than chase figures.  I don't think we've had much trouble getting recent HTS/SWS exclusives from SDCC or Celebrations, and store exclusives often aren't quite as bad either.  Again, you could have the problem of one person clearing out a Target/WM/TRU...so maybe another way would be better.  Mail away is another option, but then you're probably only getting 1 or 2 a year.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 4, 2010, 11:45 AM »

I agree with you, Jesse and Brian.  Even though Hasbro has done things such as the UGH, they have never done true chase figures in the Sw line. 

Whether it truly is collector and fan pullback from the line, or mismanagement by Hasbro, the SW line is on shaky ground at retail right now.  In 15 years I don't ever recall a year when some stores skipped entire waves of action figures.  That happened last year and early this year to some extent.

Adding chase figures now would be a very sharp double edged sword.  Sure, it would create some hype around the line, but in the end it would only fuel speculation by "fans" that don't regularly collect the line.  The potential for backlash is huge, especially since we already have that on a small scale over stupid ****, like punched/not punched peg hangers.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1208 on: June 28, 2010, 03:54 PM »
-So which Clone repack are we getting exactly, since there are so many sculpts and all?

-"Collect Alll 92!" brings up Blue Gonks...  On your Radar, Hasbro?

The answers to these and nothing more are a Mere Click Away! :)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #1209 on: June 28, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Glad to hear the Clone is somewhat newish!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1210 on: June 28, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I'll nab a couple of him now, I think.  I got 2 Gelagrubs, both on sale, so I'm not short on that Clone, but I'll take a couple more.  I like the ball-jointed hip additions figures have come with now and again.  I'd like to see it more often really, at least on the Jedi and whatnot.  It's cool on troopers too because it helps them kneel, which is something most Hasbro figures have a tougher time pulling off.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 29, 2010, 01:27 AM »
Jedi Temple War Room received one of, if not the most, ironic answers I've ever seen from Hasbro.  JTWR asked why there was never a basic Stormtrooper in the Legends line and Hasbro said that they had one available in the Legacy line and they wanted to "prevent overlap."

Really?  How much ovelap can you have on an in-demand, generic army builder that you CAN'T HAVE on a ******* Plo Koon figure?  Or C-3PO?  Or a goddamned Chewbacca figure?

Besides blaming collectors for everything wrong with the line over the last 2 years, this has to be the single mose ridiculous answer anyone has ever received from Hasbro.

Oh the toyirony!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 29, 2010, 01:45 AM »
Jedi Temple War Room received one of, if not the most, ironic answers I've ever seen from Hasbro.  JTWR asked why there was never a basic Stormtrooper in the Legends line and Hasbro said that they had one available in the Legacy line and they wanted to "prevent overlap."

Really?  How much ovelap can you have on an in-demand, generic army builder that you CAN'T HAVE on a ******* Plo Koon figure?  Or C-3PO?  Or a goddamned Chewbacca figure?

Besides blaming collectors for everything wrong with the line over the last 2 years, this has to be the single mose ridiculous answer anyone has ever received from Hasbro.

Oh the toyirony!

E...

Agreed.  Plo Koon is just one offender of this kind of overlap.  When you look at multiple versions of figures like Darth Vader which occupied both the TLC and Saga Legends lines and Luke Skywalker in pilot gear (Exclusive, TLC RED & Saga Legends), it's kind of laughable that Hasbro would eliminate a plain vanilla Stormtrooper from the mix because of "overlap".
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 29, 2010, 02:07 AM »
The funny part is that the overlap continues!!! C-3PO, Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker (Turned Sith), Jango Fett, AOTC Obi-Wan, General Grievous and the EP3 Clonetrooper are all slated to appear in both the Vintage and Legends lines.

You know, we really shouldn't complain, just think what kind of shape we'd be in if the guy who planned out the Iron Man 2 assortments was running the Star Wars line, in the first wave we'd have:

Darth Vader (ANH Interrogation of Princess Leia)
Darth Vader (ANH Lightsaber Duel)
Darth Vader (ESB Invasion of Echo Base)
Darth Vader (ESB Bounty Hunter Meeting)
Darth Vader (ESB 1-part Removable Helmet)
Darth Vader (ESB Duel on Bespin)
Darth Vader (ROTJ Death Star 2 Inspection)
Darth Vader (ROTJ Endor Capture of Luke Skywalker)
Darth Vader (ROTJ 2-part Removable Helmet)
Darth Vader (ROTJ Death Star 2 Duel)
Darth Vader (ROTJ 3-part Removable Helmet) - Silver Foil Chase Figure
Darth Vader (ROTJ Smokey Funeral Pyre Edition)

So I guess things COULD be worse.  :P
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1214 on: July 15, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Hasbro Star Wars Q&A - Round 85, is now live.  Enjoy!

-Can we please get a peak at the new Endor Soldier you've got in the works?

-Can we please get a hint whether or not there's more Snowspeeders coming this year?

The answers to these and nothing else, await you by !