Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 305087 times)

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #1290 on: April 26, 2011, 11:49 AM »
Just so I know for certain, are we supposed to put our questions for Hasbro on this line here or in the "Hey Hasbro" forum?  I have been posting some in the other forum and I just want to make sure I am putting them in the right place for this line.

thanks!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1291 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58 AM »
This thread is for discussion of the Q&A answers/sessions.  If you have questions you'd like to suggest , put them over here... 

If you'd like to ask Hasbro a question, you can find all the details on how to do that HERE!

It's a housekeeping thing - it's much easier to track the questions if they are all in one place (over there) instead of spread out in here where they get mixed in amongst all the rest of the discussion...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1292 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57 PM »
They really should have put a cap on participating sites.  I'm sure that's what's bogging them down.....

Returning to an old discussion topic here - it sounds like they finally did cap the Q&A sessions. 

There are a number of sites that were informed that they would no longer be allowed to particpate in the Q&A sessions "in order to continue to deliver the greatest value to the collector-fan community".

So, to recap, the Q&A is back... but it's just 2-questions-per-month now... and with less sites being allowed to participate.  Enjoy!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 27, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Who got axed? How did they decide who made the cut and who didn't? I'm really curious to hear more about this.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49 AM »
iirc. there were a lot of submissions it seemed that were popping up that were basically just regional submissions of main sites - if that makes sense.

For example:
Superstarwarsfreak.com - main site
superstarwarsfreak.com/europe
superstarwarsfreak.com/china
superstarwarsfreak.com/canada
superstarwarsfreak.com/panamacanal
etc.

everything other than superstarwarsfreak.com would be what was axed if I am on the right path...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1295 on: April 27, 2011, 04:16 PM »
There are no details yet as to who all got cut, or what the criteria was.

I've not heard the regional thing...  I thought Scum was the only site with separate regional coverage, actually? 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 27, 2011, 07:15 PM »
I guess I thought it was more wide spread - but I did a quick search and found here during this QA session

tons more sites and some I have never heard of before.  and as in my example above - jedinews.ca and jedinews.co.uk

again, I thought there were more examples of what I was saying - but maybe I am wrong.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1297 on: April 27, 2011, 07:25 PM »
I counted 31 sites in that Rebelscum roundup.  Ton of sites I'd never heard of, either:  AllSpark, ASMzine, Awesome Toy Blog, JediNews.ca, Jedi Temple War Room (great, just what the world needs--another Star Wars nerd site with "Jedi" in the title), Kitty's Pride, Lichtgesundheit.de, Republic Forces Radio Network, and Sandtroopers.com.

Man, I'm glad I got out of the Q&A archive game when I did.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:27 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1298 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39 PM »
tons more sites and some I have never heard of before.  and as in my example above - jedinews.ca and jedinews.co.uk

again, I thought there were more examples of what I was saying - but maybe I am wrong.

I'd not seen those...  And they all asked questions?  Wow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 27, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I counted 31 sites in that Rebelscum roundup.  Ton of sites I'd never heard of, either:  AllSpark, ASMzine, Awesome Toy Blog, JediNews.ca, Jedi Temple War Room (great, just what the world needs--another Star Wars nerd site with "Jedi" in the title), Kitty's Pride, Lichtgesundheit.de, Republic Forces Radio Network, and Sandtroopers.com.

Man, I'm glad I got out of the Q&A archive game when I did.

A number of those sites are offshoots from other sites.  I was involved in one of those, but that is no longer the case, as I've parted ways with the main site and only maintain a minimal presence there.  But some of these other sites were general toy blogs. 

The drive for some of these offshoot sites was due in large part because of the way Hasbro had been conducting the Q&A process.  The sessions started to slow down.  Then the number of questions per site became limited.  But when it became clear that numerous sites that were networks of a sort, with URL's that were independent of one another and Hasbro was willing to recognize those subsidiaries in the Q&A process, more sites joined the mix.  In the case of the site(s) I was involved with, the push was to pose serious, probing questions to Hasbro that would be newsworthy for our readers and the broader collecting community.  In the case of those sites I think we accomplished that (most of the time).

But the process got bogged down.  Too many sites got involved and Hasbro / Hunter PR didn't set limits on the number of sites involved from the get-go.  Answers came back slower and slower.  There were more instances of multiple sites asking questions about the same topic and Hasbro sending the same answer back to all of those sites, word for word.  But all too often Hasbro has been getting questions that they say they won't address:  "When are you going to make X figure?"
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10 PM »
^^^ completely agree with all of the above.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 28, 2011, 08:06 AM »
I am really not surprised by the fact that cuts were made.

I would not be surprised if sites that are about toys in general or are more focused on other Hasbro lines (like Transformers or GI JOE) got cut along with the more blog-type sites. If they make cuts on the GI Joe or Transformers Q&As, then I wouldn't be surprised if JediDefender gets cut from one of those. It may stink a little, but it does make sense.

As a Q&A reader, I would like to see some of the sites start to band together to help coordinate their questions so there aren't so many instances of two (or more sites) asking the same question. Sort of a greater good effort for the community as a whole. Maybe I'm asking a lot - but even if it was just JediDefender, YakFace and Galactic Hunter (I only mention YakFace and GH 'cause I know guys who work those sites also post here) cross checking with each other before submitting questions, that would be a great start - if the fact that the cross checking occurs is made public and the sites are openly sharing answers, other sites are gonna wanna join too - it could be the start of a "Hasbro Q&A Coalition" of sorts...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 28, 2011, 08:33 AM »
As a Q&A reader, I would like to see some of the sites start to band together to help coordinate their questions so there aren't so many instances of two (or more sites) asking the same question. Sort of a greater good effort for the community as a whole. Maybe I'm asking a lot - but even if it was just JediDefender, YakFace and Galactic Hunter (I only mention YakFace and GH 'cause I know guys who work those sites also post here) cross checking with each other before submitting questions, that would be a great start - if the fact that the cross checking occurs is made public and the sites are openly sharing answers, other sites are gonna wanna join too - it could be the start of a "Hasbro Q&A Coalition" of sorts...

That may be like trying to herd cats.

The rule of thumb when I was involved in the process is this:  if it's a super obvious question, avoid it.  Most likely other sites will ask it, and in numbers. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #1303 on: April 28, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Listen, I far prefer they concentrate on the making of the toys than talking about them but, let's face it, Hasbro's communication sucks and its moronic decisions demand clarification and explanation more than anything else. Most of these sites chimp out too and ask "lay-up" questions anyway.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 25, 2011, 01:21 PM »
looks like these are finally starting to come out:

According to Rebelscums qna it sounds like 2 of the deleted scene figures will be Luke while building his lightsaber and sandstorm Lando.  Hopefully the Lando will include everything to also make him Skiff Guard Lando.