Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 308229 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #900 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32 AM »
I was taking note of that too Brian. It's a little humbling. In addition the impact from the economic situation, I'm sure there's also a lot of waning interest, a lot of collectors who have been doing this a long time and have just run out of room or simply got board. I know the room thing is having an effect on me, and as I think about what I really care about, in terms of collecting, the PT is becoming less and less important because it doesn't hold a candle to the OT in terms of quality of the source material.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 13, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Yeah, I've had similar thoughts on what I really need to collect at this point - but haven't really made as many changes as I should I guess.  I'll always collect the OT stuff, and probably a lot of the PT "movie" stuff (at least the figures), but I'm starting to really give thought to beyond that what I want/need to buy anymore.  Like others, space is a big issue anymore (and the wife has told me it can't leave our office, so its getting tight) - and budgeting is more of a concern these days as well.  Although the prices are starting to get (too) high, it seems like there is just so much nice stuff out there these days (and not just in SW).  It is interesting to see Hasbro coming right out and basically saying (in their own words) "Legacy stuff is slowing down considerably" and "CW is carrying the line".  I guess we've seen a number of people here on the forums either quit, slow down, or talk about cutting back - but it still seemed (at least locally) that this stuff was selling about as quickly as it always has.  I will say that I've seen, as an example, the Spacetrooper figure a number of times and I can remember a time in collecting where that would have been such a hot figure that you'd blink and miss it forever.  Not that it is a plentiful figure, far from it, but it hasn't been difficult to locate here locally either.  Anyways, it was interesting.

On the bright side, its nice to get some positive news from the Q and A's this week as well.  I'm glad to hear that there are a couple new takes on 3PO coming up, and I'm hoping one is a SA "ultimate" 3PO (although the Ewok diety one is pretty nice) and/or an all-new AOTC version of C-3PO.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #902 on: April 13, 2009, 11:22 AM »
With their comment on cutting the number of upcoming "100% collector-focused figures" I wonder if they are rapidly trying to figure out how to cut Wilrow to one per case and (hopefully) cut Malakili all together.  The kids are really wanting *action* figures these days.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I wonder if they are rapidly trying to *SNIP* (hopefully) cut Malakili all together.

I'm dreading his release. The POTF2 version was still at TRUs in 2002 around here. :-\
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 13, 2009, 12:07 PM »
i think instead of Hasbro talking about their slow sales numbers they should lean a little heavier on their major retail partners (Walmart, Target, TRU, etc.) to work a little better on the sales volume.  By that i mean actually trying to move product through the store.  The Super Wally we do our grocery shopping at has three pegs of Yarna and that's it for basic figures.  No clone wars, no legends and no other legacy.  I could understand if the pegs looked like that three days after Christmas, but its April now, they should be maintaining a much larger stock.  And this isn't something particularly new.  Every time I've been in that store, I don't visit very many Walmarts to compare it to, its been the same lack of selection.  (Somewhat amusingly, someone has moved all the Yarnas to three pegs on the bottom row to show how the other 20 odd pegs are empty).  I've had a similar experience at Target, only stocking Clone Wars and TRU must only be getting cases of Yarna and Plo Koon.

I think Hasbro needs to do a better job making sure a selection of their product is on the shelves in these stores, and the stores need to do a better job of managing what items sell and which don't.  I bet the toy manager, or whoever, looks in the computer and sees that they have 30 figures left, and the restock threshold is 25, so they don't restock, without caring that the 30 are the same 30 that were on the shelf two weeks ago (this store has a one Moff Jerjerod on clearance for $5.00, for the last three year, uhm, how about making it $1.50 and getting it out the door).

I find it interesting that last year Star Wars was the best selling toy brand, driven in large part by the release of realistic figure, etc.  Yet this year the realistic figures are the anchor holding the line down.  It just feels like Hasbro is really slow with releasing product and the retailers are even slower moving that product to their shelves.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #905 on: April 13, 2009, 03:04 PM »
I can't say I've noticed a huge lag in sales locally, but I do notice more LEgends/CW on pegs generally than Legacy.  It could be that Legacy's orders are getting cut down a bit.  I was disappointed in the news as well, and I think partially it has to do with SW competing against itself somewhat.  That said, I think it's understandable too that in these times it's likely people are going to cut back a bit.  Kids are kids and parents will try to buy for them, but adults will cut back for obvious reasons, and I guess perhaps they are.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 13, 2009, 03:09 PM »
I'm just glad that they finally realized that they're releasing too much crap too quickly.  Also, I read that Mighty Muggs may come back - obviously at a smaller scale even though they didn't exactly say that.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 13, 2009, 04:35 PM »
It's not so much too much stuff as it is too much stuff one month then months without anything. That isn't the way the line should be run.
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 13, 2009, 05:04 PM »
I can understand a surge of releases in the months leading up to the holiday season, but right now we're into April and we've had one wave of Legacy figures released since November.  I agree the pacing of releases needs to be adjusted away from the last quarter of the year.
I am not the Stig

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 13, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Simply put, stores are either doing a horrible job of restocking figures right now that aren't the animated CW line or Hasbro isn't even shipping anything but the animated CW line.  Or both.  Of the two Wal-Marts in my immediate vicinity, each got one case of TLC wave 5 (the ANH wave) in February and hasn't restocked any TLC figures since.  The Target near me hasn't even gotten a case of TLC figures since Wave 4 (ROTS) in December just before Christmas.  TRU has gotten wave 5 a few times, but the wall of Yarnas, Ak Revs, and SL Koons and Tiins are making any stocking/reordering impossible.

If they need to cut back on the production of a line, they should drop Saga Legends completely.  If they're going to be devoting more energy in the animated line and getting it into stores at decent numbers for the kids, there's no reason to spend money on endless reissues of the same damned electronic R2-D2 that was outdated 5 years ago.  Just keep putting the animated version out and be done with it.

While I enjoy the CW line overall, and certainly understand the desire to devote a significant portion of their SW budget resources to it compared to the OT/PT film-based figures, I can't help but think that Hasbro is being a bit short-sighted and (this is a strong word) insulting towards the fans of the film-based toys by claiming it as their weakest seller area.  It's like the guy who leaves his long-time, caring, devoted girlfriend for a younger model with larger breasts, only to find out that the younger model only wants to be with him for five years (or 100 episodes in this case), and then goes crawling back to the old girlfriend on his hands and knees, saying, "I'm sorry baby, I'm sorry.  You know I always loved you best."   :P

Melodramatic, yes, but what is the old saying?  "Dance with the one who brought you to the ball?"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 13, 2009, 08:39 PM »
The holiday shopping season was a VERY clear indicator that Clone Wars outsold the Legacy Collection.  I have two nephews to shop for that are totally into Clone Wars.  And they wanted Clone Wars figures.  What was the retail landscape like?  Clone Wars sold exceedingly well and the Legacy figures lingered much longer.

The reality is that we've seen a downturn in interest for characters from the Saga in the years since EPISODE III was released.  I think that's a natural thing to see happen.  However when a major licensee like Hasbro puts something like this in print it can come as a bit of a shock.  But I think when you recognize the impact of an animated series like Clone Wars, you can see why there's a disparity in the sales numbers between the animated and movie lines.

The current economic climate can't be helping the situation either.  Times are tough and people are not spending the way they were 2 years ago.  Additionally, I think parents are less inclined to ask their kids to sacrifice on toys, but an adult collector may see their collecting as  discretionary spending that they can afford to cut.

And then there's the timing on this cancelled TFU wave of figures.  Talk about missing the boat!  Hasbro overestimated the staying power of The Force Unleashed.  TFU might be an incredible game, but in this age of instant gratification I can't see gamers clamoring to get figures from a game that was released 2 years prior.  If Hasbro had planned this out well, a second wave of TFU figures should have come out in time for the 2008 holidays.  As it is, the first wave of TFU figures was sitting around because LucasArts was dealing with serious delays with the game itself.

I don't like this news from Hasbro.  But I do understand it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #911 on: April 13, 2009, 11:09 PM »
It's a two edged sword.  Stores probably ordered CW and TLC in equal number's, but obviously they don't sell equally.  Kids don't follow to TLC, and collectors to CW, at least in numbers sufficient for Hasbro.  For example, my localy Wally World stocked 5 cases of TLC wave 5 and CW wave 4 at the same time in early Feburary.  The CW cases sold through, and came again; the TLC cases are still selling down, to the point that only the Spacetrooper is gone.  I don't think the sales landscape is as grave as Hasbro makes it seem, at least around here.  But, with the economy in general and the movie based toys of less interest to kids, it's inevitable we'll see a reduction in movie goodness.  Is that so horrible?  At the same time, there is very little left from the films left for them to do.  I trust they will do it, and there is a market for it.  It will take time, as it always does.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #912 on: April 14, 2009, 12:07 AM »
Y'know...I bet with the success of the CW animated style figures Hasbro will eventually introduce "Classic Character!" figures into the mix.  Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Darth Vader...I know they said that they don't have plans to do that, but they have to keep those characters on the pegs.  I'd really dig it.  Just for a change up.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 14, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I was going to say something similar, Spuffy. The Legacy collection could be suffering from the very fact that the CW product is there to choose from. Kids and parents (who don't collect) could simply be choosing one over the other for volume and/or financial considerations. If the CW line didn't exist, I'm sure Legacy collection wouldn't be suffering as much.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 14, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Yeah, I think that's probably a good point as well.  You know that kids and parents are likely opting for Clone Wars stuff (most of the time anyways), and maybe the odd Obi-Wan, Anakin, or Luke figure here or there.  I will say, for as much as they are repacked, I can't recall seeing a "realistic" Obi-Wan or Anakin on the pegs for quite awhile around here.  Also, aside from the Snowtrooper, the X-Wing Luke has been the toughest find here locally as well from the Legends line.  I think there is a little bit of Star Wars competing with itself that hurts the Legacy Collection - like many of you have mentioned.

It also seems like the CW stuff gets stocked more often (and heavier) around here too.  I saw TLC Wave 5 once at Target, once at TRU, and there is still some of the Cantina aliens hanging about at WM (which got quite a few of these in).  Otherwise, there is basically nothing but CW on the pegs - alongside a few Breha Organas, Yarnas, and a smattering of Legends figures (most often Plo Koon/SaeSee Tiin/etc.).

I guess I don't mind the overall number of figures/waves we're getting in TLC, that seems fine (although the release of waves is so sporadic lately) - as long as the "realistic/movie" line doesn't get choked down to basically nothing due to the success of Clone Wars.  It would be a much easier (and cheaper) collecting year for me if I'd just leave the CW stuff for the kiddos, but I haven't done that yet :).  It does sound like Hasbro has a lot of plans for the movie style figures, but it might just be in a little more limited capacity than before.  There is still a fair amount of life in the basic figures - although I am a little more concerned about seeing new/re-done movie-style items in the other areas (vehicles, beasts, battle packs, etc.) that aren't strictly exclusives.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:51 AM by Brian »