Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 306966 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Q&A Sessions
« Reply #1155 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08 PM »
Yeah that was a really interesting answer I thought...

It makes one wonder how they'll change the landscape of the hobby going forward.  The Vintage stuff clearly isn't aimed at the young adult collectors getting into now that were into the PT...  It's a weird thing they've got to deal with.  I also wonder how "devoted" the people who were young when the PT came out are going to be.

I enjoyed reading Hasbro's answer to that question as well.  It is somewhat unusual to see them go into that much detail of their thinking/inner workings with the line, and it was interesting to read.

I think we've discussed it before on the forums, but I really wonder how much the "prequel" age collectors truly stick with the hobby.  I'm not saying that prequels don't have their fans, heck most of us like at least some of it to all of it, but it seems like Hasbro talks about that younger generation a lot now (and not the kiddos with CW) that are becoming "collectors" and taking the place of people our age who have left the hobby or are cutting back.  I'm just not sure that this generation has the attachment and/or nostalgia for these toy lines (or even movies) they way we did/do.  The world is so different now with video games for younger audiences, the "flavor of the month" approach for movies and toy lines, and the advent of all the electronics that occupy attention much younger (phones, iPods, etc).  I just don't know that there are all that many "new" collectors coming into the hobby all the time, at least ones that are sticking with it for 30 years like many of our age bracket.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 23, 2010, 12:11 PM »
That's awesome news about Evazan, Ponda and Bom! Great additions to the cantina collection. I'm sure they could put in Sai'torr Kal Fas since it's just a repaint of Hrchek (with corrected eyes).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1157 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I really wonder how much the "prequel" age collectors truly stick with the hobby....
...I'm just not sure that this generation has the attachment and/or nostalgia for these toy lines (or even movies) they way we did/do.

I say we have to wait and see on all those prequel kids.

After all, how many of us stuck with Star Wars the whole time (1979-2010)?  How many (like myself) left Star Wars in High School in the late 80s, but came back in the mid-90s when they had more disposable income and nostalgia for the past kicked in?

I don't think you can make any statements about the "prequel generation" until they've had time to incubate their nostalgia properly.  Let them dump Star Wars in Middle/High School and come back to it in their mid20s like so many of today's collectors got to do.

I just think they need to get some mileage on them before they will truely appreciate anything they had as kids... I'm guessing sometime in the 2015/2016 you'll see demand for that Ep1 junk pick up as those new adults decide to recapture their youth and rebuy their "vintage" figures.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 23, 2010, 05:58 PM »
Excellent points Jeff, it will have to be more of a wait and see thing with that generation.  I too largely "left" Star Wars in high school and the beginning of college.  I still watched the movies (and didn't make it a secret that they were my favorites), but aside from checking out my brothers POTF2 stuff (he's 12 years younger than me, so right in that "prequel generation") and taking a look at the Thrawn trilogy, there wasn't much else in the way of Star Wars for me.  I actually didn't start collecting the POTF2 stuff until later in that line, and haven't looked back since.

I'll be curious to see if the younger generation has the same "attachment" to these sorts of things the way we do/did.  I mean, there will of course be exceptions to every rule, but I'm not sure if things like movies, tv shows, and toys are quite as iconic to kids now (or a short while ago) as they were to us.  There used to be a lot less out there to get our attention, and I think things stuck with us more because of that.  I hope I'm wrong though, because I'd love to see a new generation of collectors.  I look at our nephews (ages 10 and 8), and they are only familiar with the OT at all due to my wife and I - and they seem to love the prequel trilogy and CW as their "Star Wars" just fine.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 23, 2010, 06:00 PM »
"Bringing back collectors" also involves "bringing in collectors."  New blood isn't going to want to start with any of the 2009 Legacy waves.  The Vintage wave *seems* to start off with an OK mix but I do worry that once the MOC fans get their fill that we're going to see a whole mess of 4-LOM on the pegs.

I wouldn't count on the prequel kids.  Plus this is like a double- or triple-dip on the nostalgia packaging... it'll be interesting to see how it does.  I think you can sell Vintagey Vaders for a while but I can't imagine it's going to work as well for 4-LOM.  Although I would love to see Willrow on a Vintage card, I must say.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 23, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Although I would love to see Willrow on a Vintage card, I must say.

Now you're just sucking up to Scotty-  ;)

what about Boshek?

Those two figures may end up being the legacy of our collecting community, along with Lt Renz busts...

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #1161 on: February 24, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Although I would love to see Willrow on a Vintage card, I must say.

Now you're just sucking up to Scotty-  ;)

what about Boshek?

Those two figures may end up being the legacy of our collecting community, along with Lt Renz busts...

Ah, the Lt.Renz Busts....you better hurry I hear there are only 4,000 units left and they are taking up a lot of space.....

I may order one out of pity just to own one of the greatest collectible dogs of all time!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:12 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 25, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Ah, the Lt.Renz Busts....you better hurry I hear there are only 4,000 units left and they are taking up a lot of space.....

I may order one out of pity just to own one of the greatest collectible dogs of all time!

"You rebel scum!"

;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 26, 2010, 12:11 PM »

I Actually think it's a really nice piece... I like the bust and was glad to buy one.  I didn't need the electronics or the signed card and would have loved to save $20 though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1164 on: March 17, 2010, 09:41 PM »
Another month, another Q&A session with Hasbro! :)

1) What ranking do Human Jabba/Cantina goons get on your depth charts, and can we expect some?

2) Battledroids are cool, but getting them to stand seems like a real chore.  Can we expect that to improve?

The answers to these and...  well, to these anyway, are up!  So clicky and check them out!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1165 on: March 17, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I feel the answer to #2 is "fair".  I mean at least a stand will help.

I'm sort of curious though, as the Security Battledroid really doesn't have thicker legs than the new Battledroid sculpt.  I'm looking at them both, and mine don't look thicker to me.  Maybe I'm missing something.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:34 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1166 on: March 17, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I don't think they mean wider = thicker, I think they mean that the stance on the Security Battle Droid is wider.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1167 on: March 17, 2010, 11:45 PM »
Ah ok...  That's still confusing though, as the new droid can be posed wider, it's the plastic that's the problem.   :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: March 18, 2010, 01:07 AM »
Ah ok...  That's still confusing though, as the new droid can be posed wider, it's the plastic that's the problem.   :-\

IIRC they've said a few times that if they sculpt them accurately (thin like they are) they have to use a soft plastic because thin pieces could turn into sharp objects if they snapped... they could use better plastic, but they'd have to make them thick and ugly looking.

Am I remembering that right?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1169 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11 AM »
That's not really true though...  Plastic used is a PVC-type on limbs, so it can't really "snap" at all because that's pliable plastic (thus the "boil & pop).

Not to mention again that the Security Droid's legs are thin, and sturdy.  Hell, the Boomer Damage Droid's legs are thin and sturdy by comparison.  :-\