Author Topic: Your Judicial Philosophy  (Read 9822 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Your Judicial Philosophy
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:51 PM »
Lawsuit against myspace.com

Who do you think bears ultimate responsibility for what has happened?

Here are my thoughts:

1.  The 19 year old that committed the sexual assault.  If convicted with overwhelming evidence, take the ******* and throw him in prison for the rest of his life.  Punish him.  Society has no use for this kind of scum of the earth, he serves absolutely no purpose.  He cannot be rehabilitated.

2.  The 14 year old's parents.  Where are they in all this?  Don't the parents have some responsibility to know what kind of activity the child is conducting in their own home?  Shouldn't they know she is sneaking off meeting men from the internet?

3.  The lawsuit against myspace.com should be thrown out.  They really are just the metaphorical knife that was used in the stabbing.

I intend to stay away from the following terms during this discussion:

Republican
Democrat
Conservative
Liberal
Communist
Clinton
Bush

:)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 01:53 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Judicial Philosophy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Link dosen't work.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:55 PM »

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Here's how I see it: I don't think Myspace should be sued, even though it is kind of causing the problem. Just put the guy in jail for life and finish it. I don't think the girl or her parents should be punished as far as the law goes, but there should be some serious conversation in the house. As Dressel said, where are the parents in all of this? Are they even aware of what's happening (well, they are NOW, but you know what I mean)? Any careful or caring parent would rightfully check up on what the daughter is doing. I can't get on Myspace anymore because of everything that's happening on there these days. And y'know what, I could care less. I'd rather spend time on places like here than being on Myspace with the chance that some 50-year-old guy is gonna come to my house and molest me.

Myspace should be eliminated. Period.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:11 PM by Roton7 »
Yo is what yo is.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Only reading the first paragraph of the article I'll say this.

These types of things are not the provider's (Myspace) fault.  This is a combination of bad parenting and being a naive teenager.

It's the same thing as when they tried to blame Ozzy Ozbourne for suicides - dumb dumb dumb.

As much as I hate myspace, I hope this gets thrown right ouf of court.  It's crap like this that will eventually lead to increased govermnental regulation of the internet - which is a bad thing.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Here's how I see it: I think the guy should be punished, but not SUED. Why the heck would you sue him? It's not like he took any of your money or anything. Just put the guy in jail for life and finish it.

They're not suing him, they're suing myspace.com alleging that it was the website's responsibility to keep the child safe - and not the parent's.  Which is absurd.

And of course he should be punished - everyone would agree to that.  And he will be.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:10 PM by Rob »

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Ahhh...I get it now. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 02:12 PM by Roton7 »
Yo is what yo is.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:17 PM »
There should be no lawsuit.  The 19 year-old should be thrown in jail.  The parents should talk to some sort of social worker about them not noticing the kid snuck out.  And myspace should be told to step up safety, but not sued.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:22 PM »

And of course he should be punished - everyone would agree to that.  And he will be.

Mmm.  I'm not so sure about that Zod.  Over the past few years, kidnappings involving rape and murder have been picked up by the media a lot more.  The overwhelming scenario that jumps right out at you in almost all of the cases, is that the offender has had previous arrests and convictions, and then was released from prison.  The offenses usually get worse as time goes on.  

I could spend a couple hours right now listing dozens of prominent cases in the media, but I'm only going to do that if someone disputes my claim.

The typical scenario looks like this:

Offender John Doe

Age 17 - Arrested for rape, convicted, sentenced to 6 months in prison and released.

Age 20 - Arrested for rape with a deadly weapon, sentenced to 10 years in prison, served 3 and paroled.  Released.

Age 25 - Arrested for kidnapping, sexual assault with a weapon, sentenced to 20 years in prison, paroled after 6 years, released.

Age 32 - Arrested for kindapping, rape, and murder.  And NOW, they go away for life.

Typically there are plenty of felonies, grand theft auto, assaults mixed in.

I maintain that if the first time kidnapping, and sexual assault is committed, and you nail the perp with 40 years and no parole right from the start, everyone would be a lot better off.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:38 PM »
I guess what I'm trying to say is, these types of people cannot kidnap, and rape someone, then say, "I made some mistakes, and if I'm paroled I intend to get my life together and live on the up and up."

A mistake is eating that Snickers bar at Walmart and not paying for it afterwards.

A mistake is not paying back your buddy for that $10 your borrowed from him at the bar.

A mistake is NOT conspiring and planning for days and weeks to kidnap an innocent child, commit sexual assault, and possibly murder them.  These types should never, ever, ever see the light of day again.

And that's what's got me pissed off.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 03:09 PM »
I have to say as well that MySpace is absolutely not at fault. They have no obligation to anyone... they are a private site and can and will do as they please. It is the parents responsibility to watch what their children are doing. If Myspace wants to provide some type of service to attempt to deter problems like this then that is great, but they do not need to. If you don't like their site, don't visit it. As for the guy, he forced himself upon someone else- that was a bad choice and he should have to pay for that poor decision.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:20 PM »
Myspace shouldn't be sued because they did nothing wrong.  The only reason they are being sued is the fact that they have deep pockets while the 19 year old doesn't.  The parents should of been more informed on what their daughter was doing on her computer instead of hoping that an online site would watch over their kid but then again alot of parents just let the TV be the babysitters for their kids today it seems anyways.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 03:30 PM »
The law suit just goes to prove how irresponsible the parents are. Sure, there are plenty of cases out there where, despite the parents excellent parenting, kids are just crummy, but that is the exception to the rule.

I'm sure it never even occurred to the parents to sue until they got a phone call from a lawyer, but Myspace should get off scott free. If they don't its going to be a travesty and open up the flood gates to kill all kinds of business.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 03:47 PM »
The law suit just goes to prove how irresponsible the parents are. Sure, there are plenty of cases out there where, despite the parents excellent parenting, kids are just crummy, but that is the exception to the rule.

I agree, some people are just bad, and you can't do anything with them.

I'm sure it never even occurred to the parents to sue until they got a phone call from a lawyer, but Myspace should get off scott free. If they don't its going to be a travesty and open up the flood gates to kill all kinds of business.

If it does get as far as a trial, there is about a 50-50 shot that Myspace.com will win.  On one side of the aisle, a De judge with 1 of the big 2 political beliefs tends to blame corporate America, manufacturers, etc. for crimes.  They will side with the parents, because myspace.com provided the "weapon" for the criminal to use.

On the others side of the aisle, a Re judge with the other of the 2 political philosophies with blame the criminal and only the criminal, citing that if he didn't use the internet to stalk his prey, he'd just have used the local shopping mall or high school.  Myspace.com will get off with a judge of this philosophy.

That's just how it is.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:48 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 06:45 PM »
As I touched on in my last post, Myspace shouldn't be sued. They really didn't do anything wrong. It's just that a lot of people think if Myspace wasn't there, it wouldn't have happened. It's not like a man needs Myspace in order to rape a girl. It doesn't matter how he finds out about her, whether it's on the internet, phone book, or classified ads. He can still commit assault.
Yo is what yo is.