Author Topic: Star Wars World - Background story thread  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Star Wars World - Background story thread
« on: June 21, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I would like to start a little contest to name the planet for our group project. The idea is to name the planet and write a short background story about it. This will give us a good direction on how the diorama would be built. Add as much detail as you would like. Just keep it less than two typed pages. Email or PM the story to me by the end of June. I'll post all of the stories and let everyone vote on the best treatment. No prizes. Just the honor of having it as the official background history. After something is chosen we can expand on it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars World - Background story thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Awesome idea, Phurby.

This might be logistically difficult, but it might be possible to combine ideas from several suggestions instead of just choosing one.

Just a thought.  Especially if someone has a cool backstory, but crappy name!

Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline kirk_dougall

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 02:03 PM »
What style of Planet are you looking for Phurby? Tattoine? Yavin? Dantoine?
http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
U.K Stockist of Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Kotobukiya.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:08 PM »
We'll all get a chance to read them and decide what is best and then we can adjust it as time goes by. (add different elements here or there). We just need a base story and description to start concept art with.

What style of Planet are you looking for Phurby? Tattoine? Yavin? Dantoine?

Whatever your imagination can come up with. Totally up to you.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I think I'll get started on this tomorrow maybe.

What kind of history is needed? History of the planet? Events that occured there? Landscape? Inhabitants? Events that are occurring in the present time? Size? Population? Anything?  :P
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Star Wars World - Background story Judde Lulos
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 10:45 AM »
oopss, I missed the send them in part...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 12:01 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 09:59 PM »
i sent my background story in to Master_Phurby.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:06 PM by Dark_Phoenix »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:02 PM »
i sent mine in.
??? Full sentences will help you know.

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04 PM »
sorry. i'll edit my post.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 09:43 AM »
I think I'll get started on this tomorrow maybe.

What kind of history is needed? History of the planet? Events that occured there? Landscape? Inhabitants? Events that are occurring in the present time? Size? Population? Anything?  :P

All the detail you can think of. Have fun it. Go wild.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Well, we COULD base part of it off of a short story I was starting. It's about an unfortunate Smuggler and his mishaps around Coruscant. Perhaps this would be a good setting because of the diversity of such an urban area, and its bright lights and myriad of buildings. I thought of sending it in, but I'd like to see what you guys think of the short story before I actually write the background to send in if that's okay.

I know this is the backstory of only one character, but maybe if you guys like it I can expand it into a background story of the whole city. Maybe it could be an area of coruscant we haven't been to before. If I may post it:

A Good Blaster   
By Dave S (AKA ThePerennial)                         

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
Han Solo said it best; it’s all that you can depend on in this business. It’s practically why I chose this job. I’ve copied almost every career choice he’s made. I work for major underground organizations (you know, the ones lead by Hutts?), I have a correllian freighter to transfer “goods”. I’ve even got the same blaster he has: the good old reliable BlasTech DL-44 is always at my side.

I’ve idolized Han ever since I’d heard stories of him as a little kid. Escaping bounty hunters and the Empire and making money doing it. He made it look so exciting whenever I saw him on the holonet news. He made it look so easy. Too bad I’d never heard Han talk about how bad this kriffing job could get. Maybe that’s why he joined the Rebel Alliance. Maybe that’s why I should’ve.

It’s a cold, wet night in the Corusanti underworld and I’m waiting behind Beedo’s Diner for a shipment of “goods” to come in. These damn rodians never show up on time. My client, Barra the Hutt, is gonna be furious if I don’t get the shipment in by the end of the week and these beady-eyed koochoos have stood me up three times before tonight. Why did I just call them “idiots” in huttese? Oh yeah, because I like swearing in huttese. I wish I knew how to speak the language fluently so I could yell expletives at them in complete sentences.

I do speak a little huttese. In this business, you have to. It’s where the big credits are if you’re a smuggler. I mostly know the swear words. I’d picked the language up from an old shipmate, actually. Ironically, he was rodian.  The only rodian whose head I didn’t want to blow clean off with my blaster.

“Forget it,” I say to myself “They’re not coming.” I’ve waited two standard hours in the rain and cold and those noseless nerf herders haven’t shown up yet. I’m leaving, but I’m freezing and I’m wet. I’ll stop in the diner for a nice hot mug of caf and hopefully they can toss me a dishrag to dry off with.

“Koona t'chuta?” ‘Going somewhere?’ asks a voice. I raise my blaster in its direction and see that they’ve made it… two hours late. I have little patience and an anxious trigger finger. These rodians better watch what they say.

“Kapa tonka.” ‘Hands up.’ I reply. I’ve got the taller one’s head in my sights. I’m aiming for his left antenna for a warning shot.

“Ap-xmasi keepuna!” 'Don't shoot', begs the shorter one “Dolpee kikyuna!” 'I am a friend!'

I can see that my ‘friend’ has urinated his pants in fear. Charming.

I lower my blaster, but I still wanna cave the tall one’s stupid, slimy face in. I can’t decide whether these things look more like bugs or correllian sandfrogs, either way I want to shoot the tall one right where his nose would be if he had one. He’s giving me a dirty look… I think. I can never tell with those big beady eyes.

“You’re late.” I say. They look at me perplexed. I forgot they speak huttese. “Alay,” I say, “You’re both Alay.

They nod in apology. The shorter rodian wraps his jacket around his waist to cover his urine-soaked pants. I look at him and say “And you, my friend are stoopa peedunky.” A stupid punk. “The rain’s going to soak you anyways, why cover it up?”

Fierfek, rodians can be so stupid sometimes. I wonder if they even brought the “goods” with them. Knowing how dense rodians can be, they probably left it somewhere, and I’ll have to explain to Barra the Hutt what happened to his drug shipment.

Yeah, yeah, those “goods” are drugs. I’m not a nice guy, if you haven’t noticed.

I’m a smuggler – it’s in my best interests not to be a nice guy. It’s things like being nice that gets you killed in this business.

And sometimes it’s things like rodians.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:13 PM by ThePerennial »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 05:42 PM »
This is a good basis for a great background for our planet. Definately post more.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 03:23 PM »
Just to let you guys know that we have only had four submissions for this background story. All stories are due at the end of week. Please get them to me ASAP.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:56 PM »
My suggestion is based on a few ideas that Ive heard.

My suggestion is to have it as a amall out of the way world, with no real strategic importance. But have a valuable commodity such as spice or jewel mines or what not that merit an imperial presence. Albeit a small one.

This would explain the strange and myriad collection of aliens. Set it up like Dronegar from the " Medstar" books. Only with a few smugglers and such.
With an out of the way part of town set up like Tortuga from the PTOC movies. This would be where the stinkhole cantina would be. ( and probably the largest Imp trooper presence ;))

I would like to stick with the diagrams thwt Chewie and Glassman came up with for the actual look of the town. The big Imp tower looming over everything is very creepy looking. The tower would be the only thing that would look 'new" whereas everything is very run down and rusting.

Thats all ive got for now. I may come up with more later.

I'm thinking of naming it with the word " minor" in the title. Just to give the idea of its insignifigance to the New Empire.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 05:24 PM »
I'm bumping this so no one forgets about it. ;)