Author Topic: To Catch a Predator  (Read 7915 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
To Catch a Predator
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:20 PM »
I've seen the Dateline thing 4-5 times now.  Part of me is still amazed that there are that MANY people out there to solicit on-line minor sex.  The other part of me is amazed how long NBC has milked this show, they have to have done this 10 times at least.  I've heard talk that there might be a series based on the premise of setting up sex predators.

Not sure if I'm sick of the premise of the act or sick of the show itself but I'm sick of something

Thoughts?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: To Catch a Predator
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I've seen it twice.  Shocking.

It's like a train wreck...

But if it's that easy to catch these guys and it's not entrapment, why aren't there set ups like this all over the freaking place at all times...

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 09:52 PM »
I'm fascinated by this show, however I'm a little concerned that the mass perception of child sexual abuse might focus too much on "strangers."  A vast majority of child sexual abuse is conducted by family members or family "friends," hopefully there will be some sort of show or something that will direct people to that aspect of this problem.  Of course, that probably won't result in as interesting television as "stinging" online sexual predators.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I've seen it twice.  Shocking.

It's like a train wreck...

But if it's that easy to catch these guys and it's not entrapment, why aren't there set ups like this all over the freaking place at all times...

Actually I've read that even small local law enforcement officers have set up similar stings using the Dateline model. 

I would think that you'd either need someone on staff that can do it or you'd have to get with the Perverted Justice people to help you out.  I'm sure that budgets for that type of thing might also not always be what's needed to get the job done.

As bad as it is, though, I still can't believe that people are shocked this is going on.  ****, my friends and I were picking up women across campus using IM programs back in 1989.  That was like the first thing we learned how to do on the VMS systems! 

A lot of these parents can't be that much older than me, they should be relatively savvy but, apparently they aren't.  They don't have any clue about what's going on on-line.  That's why a (mostly) boring web site like MySpace.com is suddenly the top news story almost nightly.  Internet predators are a problem but come on, the same people that install security systems in their house, lock their car doors while driving and put in anti-theft devices suddenly get stupid when they see that "Windows XP" logo pop up on their computer screens.

E...

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:54 PM »
I've seen the Dateline thing 4-5 times now.  Part of me is still amazed that there are that MANY people out there to solicit on-line minor sex. 

Exactly.

Consider this: these set-ups take place in 1 city at a time, and usually net about 20 people per night.  If you consider how many cities there are in America and extrapolate these statistics, I think it basically means that with unlimited manpower you could be arresting 1 million people per night.  Or in other words, I think about 1 out of every 10 Americans you come across is a total creep and a psycho.

It is truly alarming how much human debris and scum is present on this planet.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 10:57 PM »
Oh and I'd also like to add that it's even more alarming how many of these guys are actually trying to sleep with little boys, and not little girls.

As if the latter were not bad enough.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Take that a step further, how many of them are posting here...or work/go to school with you? 

I'm firmly convinced that a lot of this happened back in the day as well, thing is, it wasn't as easy and it wasn't as easy to catch the pervs

One other personal note, one of my friends brother got busted by Perveted Justice for chatting up a 13 year old.  So the part of them being around you all the time is more ture than you think

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Take that a step further, how many of them are posting here...or work/go to school with you? 

I've always been suspicious of a couple regulars here.

I'm firmly convinced that a lot of this happened back in the day as well, thing is, it wasn't as easy and it wasn't as easy to catch the pervs

The internet has allowed these pieces of human debris to operate in the comfort of their own home, and to attempt hundreds of contacts per night.  They're bound to get lucky on one of those tries.  Unfortunately the internet has given them a tool that they never had 20 years ago.  It supplies ease, and comfort.

One other personal note, one of my friends brother got busted by Perveted Justice for chatting up a 13 year old.  So the part of them being around you all the time is more ture than you think

When you say "chat up a 13 year old," basically you mean he used sexual content and knew they were underage.  Right?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 11:29 PM »
He was caught by a PervertedJustice operative trying to solicit sex from someone he thought to be 13.

I don't get how that isn't entrapment (like Rob said above)...I'm all for it if it means getting help for those that can use it and jail for those that deserve it

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37 PM »
He was caught by a PervertedJustice operative trying to solicit sex from someone he thought to be 13.

I don't get how that isn't entrapment (like Rob said above)...I'm all for it if it means getting help for those that can use it and jail for those that deserve it

I can't think of anything better to use a tax buck on, than implementing programs like this in every city to get villains off the street.  Now there's a program worth funding.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37 PM »
I don't get how that isn't entrapment (like Rob said above)...

I think it's a lot like he prostitution stings, where cops dress up like hookers.  I think as long as the PervJustice folks get the pervert on the other end to bring up the sex act talk first, then it's not entrapment.

One other personal note, one of my friends brother got busted by Perveted Justice for chatting up a 13 year old. So the part of them being around you all the time is more ture than you think

Creepy...  :o
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 11:59 PM »

The way they're getting solid prosecutions out of this is from the total chain of events.  The perps, or pervs if you like, have chatted up someone they believe to be underage.  In the chat the perps engage and solicit sex or some sexual intent.  In some states this is considered a crime and the perps can be arrested for this alone.

Where things turn serious is when the perps actually show up at the sting house.  When they show up and enter the house they are showing a clear intent to engage in some sexual activity with someone they believe to be a minor.  And if they show up with liquor and/or birth control of some type that's just cementing the intent.  And then the guy from Dateline shows up every time with the log of the perps chat with the decoy from Perverted Justice and reads it back to them verbatim.  In every instance of this that they've shown there doesn't seem to be a misunderstanding.  IMO, the more of these dirtbags they can lock up the better.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 01:09 AM »
I think it's a lot like he prostitution stings, where cops dress up like hookers.  I think as long as the PervJustice folks get the pervert on the other end to bring up the sex act talk first, then it's not entrapment.

This is one of those instances where I'm all for them pushing the law to it's limits.  If they have to talk suggestively to get the perv to suggest sex or something....yes, they're luring the guy, but they're luring a guy who was going to take advantage of a real kid if they didn't.

So did they prevent a crime, or did they arrest a guy for a crime that he may not have commited if they hadn't arrested him?

I guess it's a little like Minority Report, but again...I'm for it in this instance.  They just better not start taking liberties like that with other areas of the law.  The areas that I like to break.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 01:22 AM »
More power to them. I won't talk to girls younger than 16 online at all. Period. End of the discussion. It makes me nervous. Dressel gave me some good avice on that front.

But the way these kids dress and make themselves look these days... :o :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 01:33 AM »
I don't catch Dateline often but my buddy sends links of the predator stuff to me all the time from his office, and usually highlights for me which predators he found the most amusing (the ones that disrobe as they enter the house or whatever).  It's fun watching these people get lined up like that. 

It's sick though beyond belief that there are this many out there, you're right Scott.  I'm protective as it is, I think this only makes a parent want to be worse.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77