Author Topic: How Long Will Hasbro Make 3 3/4"  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
How Long Will Hasbro Make 3 3/4"
« on: May 21, 2003, 03:03 PM »
Throw me in the category of: I don't see this line in its current incarnation going 2 or 3 years past Episode III (which is around 2008)

This is due to the already waning interest in the line
Hasbro's losing money already hand over fist
Making everything possible

What do you all think, do you actually think the line will make it until 2015 or whenever the license is good for or was Hasbro just trying to lengthen the contract to lessen the financial burden

Something I keep thinking of though is the Wizard of Oz, you can go into to toy stores and still find some incarnation of the fearsom foursome...comic heroes are all over 50 years old too...

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: How Long Will Hasbro Make 3 3/4"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 03:45 PM »
I guess it depends on just how much Hasbro wants to milk it. You gotta think they'll for sure go 2-3 yrs past Ep3. But then you have things like the 25 yr Anniversary of ROTJ in 2008, 10 yr for Ep1 in 2009, 10 yr for Ep2 in 2012 and 10 yr for Ep3 in 2015. So if they choose to put out a line to commemorate those dates, then they could very well stretch it out until the end of their license.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Here's my prediction:

In 2006, Hasbro will take a hiatus on all things Star Wars. After a few years of pent-up demand, possibly coinciding with a multi-media event, the Star Wars line will relaunch yet again under the title Star Wars: Full Force.

The line will offer 6" action figures of characters from each movie in definitive sculpts with loads of accessories and standardized articulation. The debut wave will be from A New Hope and go something like this:

- Luke Skywalker (Tatooine) - Accessories include macrobinoculars, hat, rifle, soft goods poncho, removeable utility belt, stormtrooper belt with blaster & grappling hook, and stand.

- Ben Kenobi - Accessories include soft goods robe, Anakin's lightsabre with removeable blade, Obi-Wan's lightsabre with removeable blade, training remote, blast helmet, and stand.

- Han Solo - Accessories include removeable belt with blaster, removeable vest, replaceable gloved hands, headset, stormtrooper belt with blaster, snap-on "formal" collar, ceremonial medal, and stand.

- Chewbacca - Accessories include a removeable bandolier strap, headset, binders, bowcaster, Imperial blaster, mouse droid, two interchangeable heads (one neutral, one snarling) and stand.

Other, more accessory-challenged figures will be offered as 2-packs: Princess Leia & Grand Moff Tarkin, Artoo & Threepio, Jawa & Tusken Raider. Still others will be offered exclusively as Deluxe figures, like the Death Star Commander with Detention Cell Console or the TIE Fighter Pilot with TIE Cockpit.

Due to the larger scale, playsets and vehicles will be limited to diorama style display environments like Luke's Tatooine Repair Bay or the Millennium Falcon Cockpit. Vehicles like the Landspeeder will likely demand a $20 - $25 retail pricepoint while Luke's X-wing will be an Online Collectors Series exclusive available for preorder for only $99.99.

Jedi Master Points will still be worthless.
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 04:28 PM »
Yeah am I thinking that after Ep3 dies out a bit they will take an extended break from Star Wars.  Like MisterPL says they will wait and relaunch with a new scale.  I doubt the line will have nearly as many background figures and just focus on characters that had primary screen time or recognition.  I think it will need a kick in the pants to drub up interest.  Who knows?  

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 04:34 PM »
This poses the question...

Will you be interested in starting a collection of a new line at a new scale? I really only collect the 3.75" figures. I have 2 or 3 of the 12" figures. The prospect of starting a new line at a new scale is a little overwhelming. Can you imagine if all the 3.75" figures you have were at the 6" scale? I'd have to buy a house just for them.

The MOMC completist 2-of-everything collectors would be screwed.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 05:26 PM »
Can you imagine if all the 3.75" figures you have were at the 6" scale?

That's why I'm suggesting definitive sculpts rather than numerous resculpts. I just can't see the sense in doing a dozen Tatooine Luke figures in such a large scale. One good one is all that's needed, then you move on to the next costume change like the X-wing pilot or Medal Ceremony.

With so many characters from SIX movies, a line like this could last for years rarely offering relatively obscure characters like Ice Cream Maker Guy or Coleman Trebor.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 07:36 PM »
Here's my prediction:

In 2006, Hasbro will take a hiatus on all things Star Wars. After a few years of pent-up demand, possibly coinciding with a multi-media event, the Star Wars line will relaunch yet again under the title Star Wars: Full Force.

The line will offer 6" action figures of characters from each movie in definitive sculpts with loads of accessories and standardized articulation. The debut wave will be from A New Hope and go something like this...

Stop it John!  You're making me horny very excited...  Actually, I totally agree with you, and have been saying virtually the same thing ever since Hasbro re-upped their license last year for another 20 years, or whatever it was.

I think the current line will have legs for at least 3 more years after Ep. 3 comes out.  Probably not much more than that though, as most every possible SW Saga character, main, background, or otherwise, would probably have seen the light of day by then.  But after the line finally fades into the sunset, I anticipate Hasbro letting some excitement build up for a little while (couple years maybe), and then unleashing an all-new figure line, an "ultimate" figure line (that they should've been doing all along).

I'd honestly prefer they keep it at the regular 4" scale myself, but I'm guessing it might have to be a tad bigger to accomodate the breathtaking dead-on sculpts, and hoardes of articulation and movie accurate accessories.  Hopefully 5" would suffice, as I think 6" is bordering on being too big for my liking.  A 5" scale would also make it just a little easier to make a few vehicles/playsets, and the like.  This new "ultimate" line would be specifically catered to the adult collectors too!  No more of this "focusing on kids" B.S. that Hasbro's always spewing...

Like John described so well above, we're talking one shot per character per outfit - no if's, and's, or but's!  Tatooine Luke with every possible accessory he ever even sniffed at in ANH.  Minimum of 14 points of articulation on everybody - hopefully even more.  Charge me a couple extra bucks if you like - I'm game.  Just give me some DEFINITIVE figures, dagnabbit!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 07:59 PM »
2018 baby yeah!!! :D

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 08:39 PM »
2005 is next movie?  3 3/4 dies after Christmas of that year.  Done, fini.  Look at this year, how's distribution around you?  Pretty crappy huh?  Same things going to happen after Ep 3 unless George realizes what the fans really want.  Ep 2 was spectacular in many respects but the love story sucked, for guys and girls.  Point of fact is I have yet to meet anyone that enjoyed that aspect.  Leia/Han style is all that is necessary.  

If Ep 3 is same, you can bet figure distribution/production will cease relatively quickly.  Maybe we'll be lucky and see it ramp up again in late summer 2006 for Christmas season.  Four months of SW figs then blech, nada.  

6" figs a la McFarlane/unleashed style but more functional/posable?  I could see it happening, though sales of Epic Force and Unleashed make me mildly skeptical.  If they can produce in lower numbers for the collector market and target that intelligently, it could well work.  Then maybe they could put out a scale Millenium Falcon for your 6" Han and Chewie figs.  Oh sure, you'd need to take the door off to get it in the house, but who'd complain about that (other than your spouse)? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 04:26 AM »
Remember POTJ?I think it will kinda be like that on a smaller scale.

I really hope that we don't get a new scale,I really dispise action figures above 4 inches and under 12 inches.

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 06:41 AM »
I think that it will continue on a much smaller scale...Hasbro sinking the money into the big items now, but GL signed a contract to continue until 2018 and somehow even though he does not have any plans for any more movies, I think that he does have some other plans to continue his creation of SW as an outside influence...

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 12:36 PM »
Like John described so well above, we're talking one shot per character per outfit - no if's, and's, or but's!  Tatooine Luke with every possible accessory he ever even sniffed at in ANH.  Minimum of 14 points of articulation on everybody - hopefully even more.  Charge me a couple extra bucks if you like - I'm game.  Just give me some DEFINITIVE figures, dagnabbit!!!

Now that's a great idea!  Hasbro should make something like the Marmit figures, but in a 6" format.  Make sure they have tons of accessories, tons of articulation... the ULTIMATE figure!  Why can't they just do that NOW????   ;D
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 04:18 PM »
I'm certain George has some sort of plan to continue the universe beyond E3, whether it's TV or something else.  It's too much of a revenue stream now for Lucasfilm to just abandon.  Why else re-up with Hasbro for so long?  Just to say 'up yours' to others sniffing around the license?  I think the figures will continue for a long while.  At least until I get my Dorme.  I mean, come on.   ;)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2003, 09:44 AM »
Can you really make 3 3/4" any longer? Because then it wont be 3 3/4". so I anticipate that as long as they are making 3 3/4" in figures, they will remain in 3 3/4" scale

;D
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2003, 08:07 PM »
2018 baby yeah!!! :D

:P

HAH!
maybe then they could do ICMG  ;D

i think the 4 inchline will die off not too soon after episode III, and then become a new scale. its quite possible. and i'd actually like that.
maybe some kind of super articulated figures, liek marvel legends