Author Topic: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs  (Read 263132 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Star Wars Comic Packs
« Reply #390 on: April 28, 2007, 01:19 PM »
What kind of articulation does Alpha have? :)

Actually the same as Obi-Wan.  Ball jointed head, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles, and articulated hips, wrists and waist.  The weapon is great, the kama looks great, gotta love the pauldron although it does interfere with some of the natural rifle firing positions.  It's still super.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 28, 2007, 03:00 PM »
 8) Coolies! I'm getting this set shipped about fri! YAY! I really want wave 3!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2007, 10:28 AM »
GH has some pics of wave 2 up on their home page. This wave looks really great, I can't wait untill I find some.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2007, 12:32 PM »
I've got the Obi/Alpha pack and it may be the best $10 you're ever going to spend on SW toys.  You get two SA figs that each have vast customizing/army building potential.  Obi can be a AOTC or ROTS Obi, or whatever Jedi you want him to be, and Alpha is Alpha.  C'mon.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2007, 06:53 PM »
After opening 2 of the wave 2 comic packs the other day, I can definitely say that they're a great value!  The figures you get in this set are well worth the $10.99 you pay per set.

Quinlan Vos & Vilmar Grhark
This is a good set.  The sculpts are solid all the way around.  Vos's face looks a little on the thin side, but that's a minor consideration.  His facial markings also seem a little muted, but in the end it may make them look more natural.  The clothing they chose for Vos is cool, being the garb that he wore while he was seeking out Dooku during the Clone Wars.  It's not the traditional Jedi robes and I think that helps breaks things up for the Jedi in general.

Villie looks great and is pretty spot on for Dark Horse's favorite Devaronian.  He's definitely pretty aggressive looking and nowhere near being a Labria repaint.

The accessories for both are pretty standard fare, with a lightsaber and blaster included with Vos and a blaster and ammo bandolier for Villie.  Both have sculpted holsters and the weapons are decent.  This may only be an issue with my set, but the lightsaber hilt wound up being a little bit bent for how it was packaged.

The only complaints I have for this set?  There's no knee or ankle articulation on either figure.  I think that limits Vos more than Villie, as the skirt/tunic limits Vos's leg movements a little more and that added articulation might have helped the figure.  But the rest of the articulation is good, with ball jointed shoulders and elbows, standard hips and ball jointed heads.  The ball jointed head should make swapping Vos's head to another Jedi body pretty easy.

Obi-Wan Kenobi & Alpha
If you want some bang for your buck, buy this comic 2-pack.  These are a couple of great sculpts with up to date articulation and accessories.

Obi-Wan Kenobi is built on the ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi Pilot "chassis".  It's the same body and legs as the older version with some tweaks to make this a Battle of Jabiim Obi-Wan.  The chief differences?  A new head sculpt, newly sculpted arms, a softgoods skirt and the plastic cloak.  There's also the additional Sith torture mask, but I really don't have much use for that.  But this Obi-Wan would be a great stand-in for any AOTC era Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the articulation is great.

Alpha is just phenomenal.  I'm not certain what Clone Trooper might be the basis for this one, but it's a great sculpt.  The articulation is great, with ball joints at the head, shoulders, elbows, knees and ankles and standard articulation at the hips, wrists and waist.  The helmet is removable and somewhat snug.  The pauldron is all new with added pouches and a utility hose that connects to the wristguard.  The rifle is an improved version of the one that came with the CW ARC Troopers, and the kama is all new.

Negatives?  There really aren't any that I can think of.  Personally I would have preferred a sg cloak for Obi-Wan, especially since the sg cloaks have come so far in the past couple of years.  But then I can always take off the existing cloak and replace it with a sg one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2007, 11:41 PM »
Here's some loose pics of the ones I got Friday -

OBI WAN KENOBI

ARC TROOPER ALPHA

VILLIE

QUINLAN VOS AND VILLIE

QUINLAN VOS

QUINLAN VOS CUSTOM COMPARISON

On the comparison shot - my custom Vos and Hasbro's version.  Theirs looks a heck of a lot better obviously.  Mine does have a removable saber hilt/hild attachmend on his belt, and mine has SA legs while Hasbro didn't include those featurs.  I'll upgrade Hasbro's version when I get time - but I am very, very glad that they made this figure and did a very good job in my opinion.

:P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 30, 2007, 12:03 AM »
Ok, the Q-Vos/Villie set looks A LOT better than the proto pics made it look. Bummer about the knees but that can be easily fixed.

Has anyone with the ARC/Kenobi set tried switching the ARC's kama with a "normal" kama from the ROTS Clone Commander?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 30, 2007, 12:44 AM »
Haven't tried it yet... the ARC kama doesn't easily snap off, it would need to be cut.  I would think that what you're talking about might be doable though.

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 30, 2007, 09:28 AM »
I found 2 of the 3 at TRU on Sunday - Luke/R2 and Obi-Wan/ARC.  There wasn't any sign of Vos' pack, but hopefully they'll be showing up elsewhere soon.  I was most excited about the Obi-Wan pack, because as others have mentioned, you're getting 2 SA figures (and a comic) for $10 (or $11 at TRU).  Still, compared to other Star Wars lines, this is a relative deal.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #399 on: April 30, 2007, 10:05 AM »
I don't know... Vos does not look menacing enough.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20 AM »
Can anyone tell me if Alpha's sensor on his helmet swings down like McFett's does?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #401 on: April 30, 2007, 11:25 AM »
The rangefinder is in a fixed position.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 30, 2007, 02:12 PM »
Thanks Jay... :(

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2007, 03:20 PM »
Here's some that'd I like to see for 2008:
Star Wars: Droids- The Kalarba Adventures- C-3PO & C-3PX (TAC 4-LOM re-hashes)
Infinities: A New Hope Part 3- Leia Skywalker (Vader's Apprentince) & Han Solo
Jango Fett: Open Seasons- Jaster Mereel & Jango Fett (New,SA)
Star Wars: Legacy 7- Cade Skywalker & Ghost Luke Skywalker
Star Wars: Legacy ??- Female Stormtrooper & Regular Stormtrooper
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #404 on: May 5, 2007, 06:25 PM »
What sculpt is that R2?

If it's the same sculpt as the one in the catalog photo, it's the VOTC sculpt:

[snip]
Wouldn't surprise me if it was the R4-G9 sculpt, though--that'd be twice now that they've done an Artoo in that sculpt, but then ruined it with a goofy-ass paintjob.

I haven't seen anyone else confirm this, so I thought I would...

I picked up the Wave 2 Comic Packs today and Marvel R2-D2 is indeed the R4-G9 sculpt, complete with head-turning/leg-lifting feature.   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender