Author Topic: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs  (Read 263173 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Marvel Comic and EU 2-Packs
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2006, 04:16 AM »
I'm not even sure where I stand on these sets at this point... 

And yeah I was silent about the Willy Wonka Rebel Fleet Trooper...  I just rolled my eyes.  No wonder they said they thought the trooper was decent, they were gonna re-grunt that turd out.  Fortunately in a format I am just as glad that it is a re-release though since I know that's a pack I dont' want.

The Tarkin set I may actually pick up because I have a Tarkin collecting focus...  The Han set I look at and just get irked because I want the Han but not the red details. I may get that set and do a helmet up for him myself...  Yet at the same time I can't help but think this figure will see basic release with film accuracy too.

Anyway, the Tarkin is the only definite I want because of my collecting habits... 

These sets honestly do nothing for me though.  I do like the non-Marvel concepts though if they're realistic sculpts.  IE: the Crimson Empire pack is really great to me and the figures look fantastic.  That's the EU I kind of like myself...  The Marvel Packs just aren't my cup of tea personally...  And if there's EU that I think has a really distant audience it's fans fo the OLD old comics.  To me the Dark Empire is appealing to the broadier audience but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2006, 08:58 AM »
I think a lot of next year will probably have that "old OLD" audience in mind.
Still, lets wait and see.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2006, 09:07 AM »
From what I see though, not many OLD OLD collectors are really happy with what was shown at Comic Con.  I'm not sure who any of the stuff shown is actually catering to.  Its a little bit bizzare when I think about.  Who out there was clamoring for Marvel styled Star Wars figures?  How about 4 EU Clone Repaints?  What about rereleased POTF2 figures?  Its like they went all out on stuff that nobody seems really high on and totally missed the mark of what the masses actually want (outside of the IO pack and the Republic Commandos)

2007 seems a little bit different though....and it'll be interesting to see what actually comes out in those first 5-6 waves

Offline poddie

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2006, 07:05 PM »
Here is the box from the Han Froot Loops.  I actually saved it at the time... little small to see the details.  Look slike it says "only available on specially marked packages of Froot Loops cereal."

I don't think it claims anywhere that there will never ever be another Han Stormtrooper figure... that would be pretty darn silly of Hasbro to do that.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2006, 10:01 PM »
From what I see though, not many OLD OLD collectors are really happy with what was shown at Comic Con.  I'm not sure who any of the stuff shown is actually catering to.  Its a little bit bizzare when I think about.  Who out there was clamoring for Marvel styled Star Wars figures?  How about 4 EU Clone Repaints?  What about rereleased POTF2 figures?  Its like they went all out on stuff that nobody seems really high on and totally missed the mark of what the masses actually want (outside of the IO pack and the Republic Commandos)

2007 seems a little bit different though....and it'll be interesting to see what actually comes out in those first 5-6 waves

That's because there's a new generation of SW fans now. They(Hasbro) rarely aim for us anymore, Scott. We want it movie authentic...but it seems like coming product is more non-movie dream stuff :(

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2006, 10:13 PM »
I agree.  Im an old timer, and Comic-Con was a letdown.  Not so much for the "made up" stuff, but the lack of new sculpts was depressing.  It's just hard to get excited about stuff I already kinda own.

That being said, 2007 is already shaping up to be a banner year with the McQuarrie line.  While they may be more "made-up" stuff, at least they're based on the designs that started the whole darn thing.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2006, 02:30 AM »
This Marvel stuff does boggle my mind a bit too Scott as I really didn't see it climbing any EU charts in anyone's minds anywhere I read (GH, RS, here)...  So I don't know.  Part of me thinks they actually were trying to get some approval from the older audience though as the Marvel stuff obviously is aimed at people in their late 20's and early 30's...  It's EU when EU sure as **** wasn't cool.

The Dark Horse stuff has the broader appeal IMO though...  The Crimson Empire pack is fantastic to me, even though it wasn't my favorite story (wasn't bad, just wasn't great either).  The Marvel stuff though...  Eh, I don't know.

There's only two things I see it really trying for, and bear with me here as I am just guessing on this stuff.

-As I noted it's aiming at older crowds trying to appease them by offering them something from their childhood.  It's similar in a way to Mc-Figures really in that regard.  I think Hasbro just picked some shite material to run with is all, and to get a new Han Stormtrooper like that instead of a film-accurate one first is really sort of the things that irritate the older collector instead of being viewed as a positive.  So with this theory in mind you almost kind of have to feel bad (well, not really) for Hasbro for going with an idea that seems pretty much to have not been well-received by many people.  I'm guessing not the majority...

I have a hard time wrapping my head around any potential appeal these would have for kids too, so I can't see who they're aimed at BUT us.

-My second theory is that this is Hasbro's sorta ****** way of testing EU waters without straying too far from the films...  IE: they're repainting film figures to mimic the comics however the comics are the film adaptations and so the subject matter is repainting instead of heavier investments, and not really straying from the films...

The latter is the bigger letdown to me.  Had the comic 2-packs been ONE Marvel pack perhaps, one Rogue Squad, etc., etc...  I think it maybe would've been better, but that's just my opinion.  I'm also into the prospect of seeing some cool EU stuff that I've actually liked.

That's just my thoughts on it I guess...  I don't think I was disappointed overall with Comic-Con but the 2-packs being all Marvel were meh at best.  I was really hoping for better here.  Tarkin's the only one I kind of dig...  I'm still on the fence for the Han Solo actually, and may not get that one.  The Tarkin one I only want because of my focus... 

They owe a decent Tarkin resculpt in this line at some point though.  POTF2 is incredibly outdated and ROTS is only good for ROTS...  Anything less is pathetic.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05 PM »
-My second theory is that this is Hasbro's sorta ****** way of testing EU waters without straying too far from the films...  IE: they're repainting film figures to mimic the comics however the comics are the film adaptations and so the subject matter is repainting instead of heavier investments, and not really straying from the films...

We have a winner! I'm surprised no one guessed this earlier. Hasbro has already stated that they do not believe that the Expanded Universe sells well and is only targeted to a small audience. So they want to try this new sub-line, but do not want to put a lot of investment into it early on in the chance it fails. So they repaint figures which costs significantly less to them than to do all the work of creating new figures. This way, they will lose very little money if the line does tank.

Now the flipside to that is, based on their choice they may have doomed the line to fail before it really gets going. Clearly, many people aren't liking the Marvel 2-packs - personally I like them, as a kid I always wanted Marvel based figures as I was and still am a huge fan of the comics, granted I wanted to see Rik Duel, Capt. Dribble, and Baron Tagge, but these new interpretations of classic characters are far more interesting to me than the 100th clonetrooper repaint. Anyways, with so many people not liking the Marvel 2-packs, the potential sales capability decreases which in turn will lead Hasbro to decide the overall idea is not sound and we won't get much past the first 2 waves.  Worse yet, to add to the potential lack of sales, they will probably oversaturate the market with the first wave which will scare retail from buying into future waves. This is typical of Hasbro to do and then we'll just hear it from Hasbro again that EU doesn't sell and that will be just a shame.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2006, 03:04 PM »
I agree with you both and have thought a lot about this very issue, snce I love EU stuff as much as movie accurate stuff.  Still, I heavily doubt that I will buy these sets in an attempt to jump start an EU line and not b/c that would not be great but b/c a EU line that starts with these 2-packs might get worse instead of better; if you can believe that.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I agree with you both and have thought a lot about this very issue, snce I love EU stuff as much as movie accurate stuff.  Still, I heavily doubt that I will buy these sets in an attempt to jump start an EU line and not b/c that would not be great but b/c a EU line that starts with these 2-packs might get worse instead of better; if you can believe that.

That option certainly exists. Hasbro could say to themselves that if the Marvel 2-packs sell so well, they have a market for repainting existing figures for character representation from the comics. And then we'll get the same thing in future waves. It is a damn if we do, damn if we don't situation. On the flip side, there isn't much past evidence to indicate what Hasbro will do. In situations like this, they tend to pull the plug on the new sub-line after the first 2 or so waves. So future waves will really be a big question mark.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Why oh why, Hasbro?? WTF is up with these? ::)

I'm vaguely interested in the Chewie and Tarkin, pending better photos. I'd probably try to sell off the troopers. The RFT/Vader set is just stupid though.

Like some of you others, I forsee this initial wave bombing and the next waves of "real" EU barely seeing the light of day. :'( >:(
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Like some of you others, I forsee this initial wave bombing and the next waves of "real" EU barely seeing the light of day. :'( >:(

It's the Hasbro Method of Destruction:

PART 1:  First wave consists of your worst figures.  Overproduce said wave and convince retailers to overorder.  Collectors look at the selection and laugh, with only the carded completists and random folks to pick them up.  Wal-Mart gets 200 more cases per store, killing any possibility of them getting future waves.

PART 2:  Second wave consists of 2 of the requested figures, but the case pack is filled out with more of the crappy figures from wave 1.  The requested figures disappear immediately, showing up shortly thereafter on Ebay, and the crappy figures sit.  Toys R Us orders 200 more cases per store and receives more of the aforementioned wave 1 assortment, which sit on the pegs alongside POTJ Bespin Guards, Sabes, and OTC Millennium Falcons for the next 20 years.

PART 3:  Third wave consists of army builders (Clones and/or Stormtroopers) and for some reason doesn't include the difficult to find requested pack from wave 2.  Due to the gluts at WM and TRU, Target only gets one shipment of these, with some stores not getting any due to Target having a backlog of wave 1.  Wave 1 is clearanced for 97 cents by Target and Hasbro cancels the line, stating that sales were sluggish and the fan support just wasn't there.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2006, 11:39 PM »
I have a feeling I'll be picking up the DH packs since those comics look like the movies.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 1, 2006, 04:00 PM »

It's the Hasbro Method of Destruction:

PART 1:  First wave consists of your worst figures.  Overproduce said wave and convince retailers to overorder.  Collectors look at the selection and laugh, with only the carded completists and random folks to pick them up.  Wal-Mart gets 200 more cases per store, killing any possibility of them getting future waves.

PART 2:  Second wave consists of 2 of the requested figures, but the case pack is filled out with more of the crappy figures from wave 1.  The requested figures disappear immediately, showing up shortly thereafter on Ebay, and the crappy figures sit.  Toys R Us orders 200 more cases per store and receives more of the aforementioned wave 1 assortment, which sit on the pegs alongside POTJ Bespin Guards, Sabes, and OTC Millennium Falcons for the next 20 years.

PART 3:  Third wave consists of army builders (Clones and/or Stormtroopers) and for some reason doesn't include the difficult to find requested pack from wave 2.  Due to the gluts at WM and TRU, Target only gets one shipment of these, with some stores not getting any due to Target having a backlog of wave 1.  Wave 1 is clearanced for 97 cents by Target and Hasbro cancels the line, stating that sales were sluggish and the fan support just wasn't there.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

You said it the best Doc! That's exactly how I see it too.

I don't know why Hasbro likes to doom an experimental line in the beginning. They always send the most product out in the first wave, usually it's undesirable, then they ship less for remaining waves(if any) based on first waves' sales...making subsequent waves rare. Sometimes it seems like they don't take enough risk(new, well-marketed sculpt ideas) which really baffles me since when they do they come out with poorly thought out cross-over to other toy ideas like BIKERS ect. For a toy company that the SW line is their leading seller I just don't understand why they can be so predictably conservative with SW new toy line attempts.

There IS past evidence unlike what Corranhorn said about Hasbro's typical line starting blunders with EU.. Clone Wars- First wave HUGE, overshipped, with several pegwarmers :(
Subsequent waves were considerably less in quantity with more desirable figs. SOTE figs
high in quantity with pegwarmers--it shot itself  in the foot from the getgo.

Look at the present...
--At the Comic Con questions were raised about unleashed figs coming back...what are we getting repacks. Hasbro claims they'll see how well the repacks sell before thinking about making anything else(no risk)...so they are reselling a recent fig, greivous and a common vader ::) and a rare fig boba ;)...I argue that had they added the unmasked vader the line woulda had a better shot to see more new figs.
--Marvel comics packs? I'm hearing ALOT of dissapointment, I'll bet it pans out exactly the way the Doc put it :P
--Unleashed battle packs? Hasbro comes off at the CC like they want you to buy-in that it's one of their best selling lines :P. Actually, it appears to be in a similar situation of the original unleashed... they have a wave that they overproduce ( wave 1 and 2 unleashed battle packs)(regular unleashed was the aayla,sandtrooper wave and wave 1) then the rest of the waves do well (less produced)? Personally I'd say the original line did better, though. So, is Hasbro gonna come out in 2007 and say they're cancelling unleashed battle packs because it's not selling like they claimed about the Unleashed...after they tell us at CC the line is doing great ::) :P >:(?

Freaks at Hasbro

The Ds

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 3, 2006, 08:40 PM »
I liked the Comic Packs Hasbro did for GI Joe..I have them all.  Their choice of characters is funny at times.  But they do not share space with my Vintage RAH stuff because they do not "match" continuity.  I am afraid these Star Wars Marvel packs will be the same way. 

I'm not thrilled about the colors on Tarkin or Han Stormtrooper, but they are true to the comic, so my nostalga factor is way up there.

I'd love to see the line get deep into the Marvel series and if they would give us any of Dark Horse Comics Rogue Squadron Human pilots, I'd be thrilled...or all the main characters from Rogue Leader....I would also take any figures from the Empire or Rebellion series.  But at least those are more realisticly colored.

I don't think I would be oppossed to "Infinities" versions of some of the characters either. 

Pretty much any OT human character in a different costume is ok by me, as long as it is realisticly painted.  But I think the 2 things might be mutually exclusive in Hasbros world.