Author Topic: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs  (Read 263114 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Marvel Comic and EU 2-Packs
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Anyone know what Vader that is? It looks like it's from the POTF2 era, but I'm not sure.

My guess is that it's the 1999 POTF2 CommTech version:

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I'm definitely passing on these. I really hope that any future comic sets aren't this disappointing. If the characters were in normal, movie-like colors, I would buy one of each of these three sets. But, I think I'll just save up for a Kir Kanos/Carnor Jax figure set instead. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I love that when you bend the knees of the RFT, the black pin stripe now would be on the inside of his lower leg and not match up.  That's fine craftsmanship.

Hasbro, your Sherbert Fleet Trooper SUCKS!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2006, 08:48 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Anyone know what Vader that is? It looks like it's from the POTF2 era, but I'm not sure.

My guess is that it's the 1999 POTF2 CommTech version:

It can't be the '99 version, look at the shape of the armor below the knee and at the top of the boot.  The '99 version has a piece that is slender and more vertical, the comic version has a trapezoidal piece there.  Also, and probably more obvious, look at the leg stance.  The '99 version has legs that are straighter and closer together than the wider stance of the comic version.

I'll have to investigate to figure out which Vader that is.  This is a definite pass for me though, so it doesn't really matter.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2006, 11:28 PM »
I think, I will pick up the Tarkin/Stormie & Chewie/Han packs. Only thing I don't understand is why use the CommTech Stormie, but the VOTC Stormie for the Han? Why weren't both figures just made with the VOTC Stormie body? Cuz from the pictures the Han clearly has the VOTC body. ::)
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2006, 12:41 AM »
Worst pieces of **** Hasbro's put out in 11 years.

These are going to be on clearance in no time.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2006, 12:51 AM »
Worst pieces of **** Hasbro's put out in 11 years.

On one hand you may be right, but they are so bizarre looking that I like them.  They're even better packaged in front of the goofy old Marvel comics.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2006, 12:59 AM »
Nope, I'm definitely right.

These things are straight up stupid - no way around it.   :D

When they decide to release Han in Stormtrooper gear without the airbrushing, I'll pick that up.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 01:00 AM by Rob »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2006, 01:04 AM »
It can't be the '99 version, look at the shape of the armor below the knee and at the top of the boot.  The '99 version has a piece that is slender and more vertical, the comic version has a trapezoidal piece there.  Also, and probably more obvious, look at the leg stance.  The '99 version has legs that are straighter and closer together than the wider stance of the comic version.

Eh, still looks like the '99 version, to me. 

What other Vaders are there that are based on the ANH suit?

And it may not mean anything, but they're using the same interrogation droid (albeit repainted), that was included with the '99 Vader.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2006, 01:05 AM »
It could be that version with retooled legs.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2006, 09:39 AM »
I don't even think it's retooled legs. The difference in slenderness in the legs could be a simple trick of the new paint scheme and the difference in stance is a common variation inconsistency between figures of the same mold.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2006, 10:56 AM »
There's a little dent or wrinkle just above the left knee on both versions, which leads me to think that the legs are the same.  I agree with Anton--the different paint apps (and the way the '99 version is posed in both photos) make it difficult to tell, but it looks to me that it's just a straight repaint of the '99 Vader. 

The one thing i'm curious about is - the '99 Vader had the lightsaber hilt sculpted onto the left hip, and it's impossible to tell if that's the case with the new Vader, too (at least for me, anyway).

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Well they are packaged nice with the comic book in the background.   I won't be getting any of them though.  It's something different I suppose.  They have to offer some product at a higher pricepoint it seems  They should be giddy to release "new" versions of those characters since they don't need a new mold.  I just hope they don't rot on the pegs.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2006, 10:30 PM »
Oh, I think they'll rot on the pegs - sans the Han pack.  He is an easy fix for most customizers.

With that said, these are by far the worst repaints/repacks  I've ever seen from Hasbro.  And that's saying a lot.

Next year, if the releases are right, I'll be focusing on Sideshow 12" vs. Hasbro rehashes.

These packs really are insulting to the loyal collector base. 

:-X
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 10:32 PM by ruiner »