Author Topic: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs  (Read 263736 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Star Wars Comic Packs
« Reply #435 on: May 13, 2007, 09:14 PM »
It really is not too hard to remove the blue areas from Han and Luke's armor to make movie accurate versions

I've had mixed results trying that.  Are you using Goof-Off or something else?

:P

I have nothing else to add.  Other than I really like Chewie's avatar  :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2007, 11:22 PM »
It really is not too hard to remove the blue areas from Han and Luke's armor to make movie accurate versions

Goof-off...I seem to remember that I had some issues though with Han's chest getting sort of tacky.  It doesn't feel tacky any longer and is perfectly fine until I have to rebuy the movie accurate versions :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 14, 2007, 12:16 AM »
I picked up all three sets from Wave 2 today, but I've only opened the Kenobi/ARC pack. It f'ing rocks. Kenobi is an updated version of the ROTS Pilot figure, and the headsculpt was tweaked to give him more of an AOTC look. Looks fantastic, it's almost the perfect AOTC Obi-Wan we've been waiting for. The ARC Trooper is based on the Evolutions ROTS Clone and is 1000000000000% better than the Clone Wars version. It'd be cool to see a Red repaint released in the basic line with dual pistols. If you see this set, grab it, it'll go quickly. I want a few more sets just to have a set of ARCS from the Clone Wars cartoon.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #438 on: May 14, 2007, 01:30 AM »

Goof-off...I seem to remember that I had some issues though with Han's chest getting sort of tacky.  It doesn't feel tacky any longer and is perfectly fine until I have to rebuy the movie accurate versions :P

Goof-Off is kind of like plastic-welder is Scott, in that it has really potent chemicals in it (it's worse really) that actually begin to break down plastic.  I've found I have to really get a knack for working with it to remove paint and not ultimately damage the figure...  I usually use it on little crap like a Pauldron or something small.  Anyway, yeah it actually breaks a figure down chemically, though the figure "solidifies" after a brief time.  Testors Paint (oil based) does the same thing and most think it's the paint not drying but actually it's the paint eating away at the plastic (PVC plastic) of figures. 

Plastic Welder is made for ABS plastics and actually breaks the ABS down, and when you connect two pieces together it fuses or "welds" them into one...  It's the same kind of thing, so I assume similar or worse chemicals are in Goof-Off and that's why that happens.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 14, 2007, 09:38 AM »

Goof-Off is kind of like plastic-welder is Scott, in that it has really potent chemicals in it (it's worse really) that actually begin to break down plastic.  I've found I have to really get a knack for working with it to remove paint and not ultimately damage the figure...  I usually use it on little crap like a Pauldron or something small.  Anyway, yeah it actually breaks a figure down chemically, though the figure "solidifies" after a brief time.  Testors Paint (oil based) does the same thing and most think it's the paint not drying but actually it's the paint eating away at the plastic (PVC plastic) of figures. 

Plastic Welder is made for ABS plastics and actually breaks the ABS down, and when you connect two pieces together it fuses or "welds" them into one...  It's the same kind of thing, so I assume similar or worse chemicals are in Goof-Off and that's why that happens.

I used Goof off on more than 60 '06 Sandtroopers and found that; on about every tenth one that the plastic on the chest stared to broke down in a weird way. Not enough to ruin the figure, but enough for me to pull back, let it harden and go again, lighter. Haven't tried it on the comic pack troopers, but they could be using a different plastic than that of the Sandtrooper.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 14, 2007, 07:10 PM »
Snagged a Luke/R2 pack at the local Target using the DCPI trick. The box had already been pilfered of the others though. I noticed my Luke has a longer right leg... weird.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 14, 2007, 07:49 PM »
Snagged a Luke/R2 pack at the local Target using the DCPI trick. The box had already been pilfered of the others though. I noticed my Luke has a longer right leg... weird.

Uh...longer than what?  Heh heh ...heh heh.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04 PM »

Uh...longer than what?  Heh heh ...heh heh.  ;)

Than his left...  :-*

But, hey, his sister said he "was a little short for a Stormtrooper," so does that mean was Leia fooling around with Jango Fett soldiers all this time trying to uncover the secret plans??
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:54 PM by Darth Vlad »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 15, 2007, 12:33 AM »
Holy ****! What a difference a paint job makes... I just realized that the ARC's rifle is the exact same one as the rifle that came with the Clone Wars ARC in 2003. I thought it was different the whole time.

I also opened the other two packs today:

Luke/R2 is a good set. Luke is about the same as Han, and I like how they added a "rusty" paintjob to the E-11.R2 is really cool, and like Chewie in the Han pack, can be used as a completely different astromech. My one complaint is that Hasbro used ****** bendy plastic for R2's legs, so it's more like a repaint of the astromechs from the Final 22, not R4-G9 (who had strong plastic used in his legs).

Vilmarh/Vos... cool set overall. The lack of leg articulation sucks, but everything else about them is cool. When I first saw the prototypes, I thought they looked too skinny and the sculpts looked bad but in person everything is much better. Vos and Villie are quickly becoming two of my favorite figures.

Overall I'd say that every set in this wave is a winner. If you passed on Wave 1, do yourself a favor and at least pick up the ARC/Obi and Vos/Villie packs.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 15, 2007, 01:53 PM »

Vilmarh/Vos... cool set overall. The lack of leg articulation sucks,

There's a trick for that.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #445 on: May 15, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Yet to see these around Pittsburgh.  We dont' have pegspace for comic packs at ANY store even though...  TRU, Target, KM, WM, they all are devoid of comic pack pegs.  Kinda sucks since, of course, Wave 2 are the best so far and aren't shipping much around here (yet).  A sign of the times with Star Wars it seems.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 15, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Yet to see these around Pittsburgh.  We dont' have pegspace for comic packs at ANY store even though...  TRU, Target, KM, WM, they all are devoid of comic pack pegs.  Kinda sucks since, of course, Wave 2 are the best so far and aren't shipping much around here (yet).  A sign of the times with Star Wars it seems.

We don't have peg space for them in Minnesota right now either.  I found them using the DPCI at Target - almost all of the Targets around here have them in the back room, but haven't brought them out because the aisle has yet to be reset.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 15, 2007, 09:27 PM »
Saw Wave 1 for a few weeks, then they disappeared... I was able to get the Chewie/Stormie Han pack though, so I'm happy there. Wave 2 hasn't shown up and I really don't care if it does- I'm waiting for the excellent Wave 3 Luke/Mara pack.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 15, 2007, 09:30 PM »
A new Hope comics are cut before the end in the luke(figure) part right? cause i was actually interested in finishing that comic series off :(
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 15, 2007, 09:47 PM »
We don't have peg space for them in Minnesota right now either.  I found them using the DPCI at Target - almost all of the Targets around here have them in the back room, but haven't brought them out because the aisle has yet to be reset.

I'm done pestering Target employees to grab stuff from the back for me for the time being, though I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with the reset that will incorporate the TF movie toys.  I also expect to see the vTAC figs/new comic packs in or around the same time as the reset (06/01)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN