Author Topic: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs  (Read 263111 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC Star Wars Comic Packs
« Reply #795 on: February 3, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Just from eyeballing the way the knees are designed on Durge, it looks like the "kneecap" could be segmented to cover the actual joint, just as Jesse said.  If his knees aren't jointed, I guess that throws Hasbro's earlier reason/excuse for increasing the price (so they could offer more articulation) right out the window.   :-\

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 4, 2008, 08:01 AM »
What is up with Hasbro and not giving some figures knee articulation?

I think it's been pretty common in the comic 2-packs.  Especially considering the price point.  In the case of Durge, I don't think this sculpt lends itself well to knee articulation.  There might be some on Durge, but it isn't totally clear.  But the Anakin has knee articulation, which is definitely a positive.  And it looks like a new sculpt.  At least the head does.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 4, 2008, 09:45 PM »

Probably the same thing that is up with them only charging $10 for two figs.  I'm surprised these are new figures at all for that price - they can easily put all of them in the basic line and charge $7 a piece.  For $3 more, you get a second fig AND a comic - just be happy they're making some rarer comic figs that probably would never have seen the light of day if not for this line.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #798 on: February 5, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Quinlan Vos & Master Tholme -
sadly I'll getting this even if they don't take another stab at quin's head...but otherwise i was actually expecting Jedi quin from the very start. the one question I'm left with is" could hasbro be cheap enough to make the issue where they fought during the siege of Saleucami", i mean think about it all they'd haft to do is make uber stinky bummed out tholme and repack quinlan. in that sorry excuse for a comic pack situation, I'd find myself getting stinky tholme on eBay.

Wolf Sazen & Darth Nihl -
i really hope hasbro can do these justice, after having finally forked over the dough on eBay for revan and malak and found them at the very best adequate figures. i fear we maybe be getting potf2 caliber Legacy figures and that's if were lucky. i mean malak looked like a 99 cent store knock off in the face and revan's legs have to have been the lowest blow I've ever received from hasbro, especially since he was "the fan's choice". either way i'm fairly certain I'll justify getting this on first site due to having held the potf2 expanded universe figures in my hands only once while at a local target back in 1998 and sadly passed on them due to parental interference. and I'm a massive legacy fan.

Alto Stratus & Nimbus Guard -
I'm really happy they made this set, I've wanted this droid since i first read the clone wars trade paperback 3, and I've had to pass on it each time i see it because i don't need another anakin. seven are all i need, the only anakin figure I'll consider at this point would be clone wars season three outfit.(vader-like outfit,not leech tattoo anakin.)
i do find myself wondering if alto is going to be in a repulsor boots pose or just standing there? and will there hasbro's attempt at mud smeared on him? i mean we know what they paint sand like.

Jodo Kast & Boba Fett -
at last  a super poseable poser. how could hasbro wait till there third wave of comic packs for this one? sell someone the same figure painted a lil different for ten bucks, at least they include a comic book for the poor kid to explain away the likeness. lol but seriously i kinda wish they'd follow the jodo kast i know and kinda like from masters of teras kasi, its a better looking outfit in the long run. but I'm fairly I'll be adding Mr kast to my collection via ebay. three fett's are enough.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 5, 2008, 03:41 PM »

Probably the same thing that is up with them only charging $10 for two figs.  I'm surprised these are new figures at all for that price - they can easily put all of them in the basic line and charge $7 a piece.  For $3 more, you get a second fig AND a comic - just be happy they're making some rarer comic figs that probably would never have seen the light of day if not for this line.

They've raised the prices on the comic packs so they are almost to the point where they are 7 dollars a piece. Hasbro also mentioned that the price increase would be so they can add articulation to these figures. That was my main complaint. I am glad they are making these figures but it doesn't make sense for them to give a figure ankle articulation and no knee articulation.
I remember my dream now.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 5, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I'm sorry, but where are you buying your comic packs for $14 or more?  Wal-Mart is $9.96 and Target is $9.99.  Even if they were $11.99, you're getting figs for $6 each and a free comic.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 5, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Walmart out here is 11.00 and Target is 12.09. And I said almost to the point they are 7 bucks a piece.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 05:05 PM by MetalJedi »
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #802 on: February 5, 2008, 05:05 PM »
Justin, he's talking about the Comic Packs Price Hike that Hasbro has passed along.  Comic packs are already $12+ on the West Coast.  Head back in the thread a bit and you'll catch that talk...

I see a lot of people blaming Target, but it was Hasbro that raised the prices...  they said so themselves in the Q&A in December.

"We will be raising our pricing (and suggested price to $11.99 SRP) in 2008 in an effort to be able to provide some more articulation."

Target is just the first one to pull the trigger on the new price (probably since they have reset for 2008).  Expect to see the price go up everywhere else soon too...  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 5, 2008, 08:19 PM »
I'm sorry, but where are you buying your comic packs for $14 or more?  Wal-Mart is $9.96 and Target is $9.99.  Even if they were $11.99, you're getting figs for $6 each and a free comic.  ;)

its for $17 after tax up the border ::)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #804 on: February 5, 2008, 10:48 PM »

They could...  But would they sell individually packaged without the "comic promotion" that kind of gives you a clue who they are?  I'm not so sure on that one, and I dont' think Hasbro is positive either.  They've said in Q&A's that the comic line was a surprise hit at retail for them, probably surpassing their idea of what's popular I'd guess, and so we're getting more and that's great...  The price increase, also noted in the Q&A, was for more articulation, so that's good...  In my area Target's I think charging $12 and WM are $10.59 or something?  It's not that bad an increase (for me anyway) if the payoff is better figures overall in terms of quality.

I will say though, anything you package together comes up cheaper...  Other companies are doing it, Indiana Jones is seemingly going to try this as well...  It's a little cost-effective for the company to an extent, and I'd expect to see that passed along somewhat.

But to the point of ankles but no knees, I can't see a single positive argument as to why ANY figure should have ankle articulation but no knee articulation.  The ankles can be done without while the knees are a more important point for poseability...  It's a tough thing to argue really, as figures with neutral leg/feet sculpting but knee articulation make for pretty poseable figures (DS Gunner, Clone Pilot, etc.), while a figure with just ankle articulation is really rather pointless...  And there's lots of those in the comic pack, for some reason.

Durge, I'll find disappointing then...  I still love the original Deluxe Durge, and it's still a favorite figure of mine.  This is neat looking, but without knees it'll fall quite short in coolness for me I'm afraid.  Ani looks interesting, but given the Ani's I've bought lately, I'm not sure I quite care about this one much.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 10:51 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 6, 2008, 09:03 AM »
You know, I think this is what really bothers me about the basic figure offerings so far this year. All the EU needs are being handled here by the comic pack line, and we're getting plenty. I know basic waves 2 and 3 are themed, but along side these offerings, it's just too much EU.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 6, 2008, 03:14 PM »
it's just too much EU.

Never too much.  :) Plus OT and PT have had numerous years where they dominated the pegs.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 10, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Well I am not really surprised they are offering more EU.  I am just way out of the loop as far as who the EU characters are.  Some of those I have never heard of before. 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55 PM »
 :o

David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #809 on: February 16, 2008, 06:57 PM »
Those look awesome  :o I cannot wait for that Xizor. I hope Dash Rendar is not far behind.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"