Author Topic: Collecting: Do You Favor One Trilogy Over the Other?  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Collecting: Do You Favor One Trilogy Over the Other?
« on: June 22, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Aside from the movies themselves, do any of you tend to favor one trilogy over the other one?  From what I've seen on the forums here over the years, it seems like the majority of us who collect the Hasbro stuff tend to collect from both the OT and the PT.  Although I do like both, I will admit I'm more of an OT person overall - and tend to get a little more excited about offerings there.  There are exceptions, like when new clones are on the way, or if/when we ever get the "ultimate" resculpts of main characters like TPM Obi, TPM Qui-Gon, Mace, etc - but overall I think I look forward to the OT offerings more.  Its sort of like the movies I guess with me, I like both trilogies - but overall I lean more towards the Original Trilogy.  I've often thought that if I had to really cut back on collecting, displaying, etc. it might be easiest for me to cut out most to all of the prequel stuff and stick to the originals.  It would cut spending down, and make things easier to display.  That being said, there is definitely some prequel stuff I'd keep a hold of too - and figures/vehicles that I really like.  Overall, do you favor one trilogy over the other - or maybe just collect one or the other exclusively?

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting: Do You Favor One Trilogy Over the Other?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 02:57 PM »
As far as the movies (not collecting-wise), I don't favor one over the other. My top 2 favorites are ROTS and ROTJ. My next 2 favorites are TPM and ANH. And my last 2 favorites are AOTC and ESB. Therefore I'm pretty split down the middle as far as my favorite trilogy. But when it comes to how I collect, it's PT all the way. I'm a big fan of clones and Jedi, and less of a fan of the odd, obscure background aliens.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Overall, do you favor one trilogy over the other?

Yes, definitely.  When it comes to Hasbro 3.75" stuff, I buy figures from both trilogies.  When it comes to the other stuff though (like GG, LEGO, Unleashed, etc) it's just OT stuff (or more specifically Han and Chewie stuff).

The OT will always hold a special place because those were the films I saw as a kid - I grew up with them, I role-played them, I had all the toys.  Seeing ESB at age 6 was WAY more exciting for me in many ways than seeing TPM was at age 25.   :P

My top 2 favorites are ROTS and ROTJ. My next 2 favorites are TPM and ANH. And my last 2 favorites are AOTC and ESB.

I always shed a little tear whenever I see ESB at the bottom of someone's rankings/list...  :'(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Yes, definitely.  When it comes to Hasbro 3.75" stuff, I buy figures from both trilogies.  When it comes to the other stuff though (like GG, LEGO, Unleashed, etc) it's just OT stuff (or more specifically Han and Chewie stuff).

The OT will always hold a special place because those were the films I saw as a kid - I grew up with them, I role-played them, I had all the toys.  Seeing ESB at age 6 was WAY more exciting for me in many ways than seeing TPM was at age 25.

That is the same type of philosophy I've had as well.  In the basic line, its been some of both, but when I branch off I try to keep it to the OT only.  That goes for the 7" Unleashed, Galactic Heroes, Mini Busts (only have 1), Bust Ups (only have a handful), and Sideshow (Han is preordered).  With the ROTS stuff last year, I broke that a little with a few Unleashed and GH, but from here on out I plan on sticking to OT only.  Part of me wonders if I should do that with vehicles too, as I run out of room, but I really like some of the prequel stuff (the ROTS Jedi Starfighters in particular, and some others).  Never enough room, or enough money ;).

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 04:28 PM »
With army building, I sure do. But anything past that I buy from both trilogys.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 09:19 PM »
With the 3-3/4" stuff I'm much much more excited when they make new OT figures over new PT figures.  For instance, the new Hem Dazon made my year while figures like Sun Fac or Cody were good to get but its not like I've waited 30 years to get one made

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:35 PM »
I definately lean toward the OT with the collection, particularly army builders and scene-building. My PT stuff is 90% open but in storage bins. My OT stuff gets the display shelves. I am considering a pretty big Clone Wars scene now that the animated gunship is here.

I wish Hasbro would get off their "realistic only" path for the Clone Wars, and give us Bariss Ofee, Luminara Undali, and a yoda like the big statue, plus a few more clones, with something resembling articulation and all in cartoony goodness. The party line of "no fan interest in playsets and animated figures" is bunk. Give us some trees with a dark side cave to go with that X-wing, and then you would CREATE the interest. How about influencing the buying habits by producing a great line, rather than whining that we won't buy any piece of crap you make?

Whoa, I don't know where the rant came from. X wing looks good. Carry on.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:47 PM »
As far as the films go, I'm definitely more of an OT fan than a PT fan (although I do love the prequels more than some people think is healthy) but right now I get more excited over toys from the prequels.  I think that the majority of the OT stuff (with a few glaring exceptions) has been done to death (I cannot get excited over the 12th version of the Emperor's Wrath Vader or a headswap on the now subpar Endor Rebel Soldier), and I'd rather get new prequel characters than the same old OT folks for the millionth time.

I thought that the OTC line in 2004 was, by and large, boring and completely uninteresting not so much because of the amount of rehashes, but more for the fact that the rehashes chosen in some cases should never have been released (Bib Fortuna, I'm looking in your direction).  Had it not been for the VOTC figures, the OTC would have been a total waste of time for me.  If they're doing another OT-focused line later this year that is 99% repacks, I'm once again going to save a lot of money. 

In all seriousness, the idea that the Galactic Marine Clone Trooper or the Kashyyyk Scout Clone Trooper should be held back until 2007 or later so Hasbro can recard the POTJ Obi-Wan Kenobi and the POTF2 Lak Sivrak for a new OTC is upsetting to me.  Then again, I am insane.

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 10:55 PM »
I definitely buy more PT stuff, and my loose OT stuff is only regarding Cloud City.

Though I do get all the SAGA2 stuff on card.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I've considered may times droppinng my PT collection, but I'd never stop with the OT.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I've considered may times droppinng my PT collection, but I'd never stop with the OT.

That's precisely what I did, and I've never been happier.  I don't have a single trace of anything PT or even Special Edition OT in my room.  I have almost everything made by Hasbro concerning the untouched OT, and almost all of the GG, Unleashed, mini-sabers, and a few other things.  The savings on spending alone have been great, but most of all I like not having to convince myself to like something I don't ;D
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 01:00 PM »
With the 3 3/4 line i buy them all, but with other stuff like the animated Statues i am only doing the OT. I guess it all depends.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Not really. I enjoy both, yet I'm still particular about figures. I don't buy everyone, just the ones I think are cool.

But movie-wise, I think I prefer OT... maybe for nostalgia reasons. Like Jeff, my father took my to ANH when I was 3 to the theater downtown (no longer there) and from there I was hooked. The writing was better IMO.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 06:42 PM »
I don't,I buy whatever I want.Even thoe I do have a little bit more PT than OT since there's
more PT stuff out than OT.Well right now.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 08:29 PM »
While I don't have tha affection for the PT that I do for the OT, I like colleciing from all six movies. However, it's stuff from ANH that really makes me feel like a kid again.  Y'see, I was there in 1977, when there were no Star Wars toys at all!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com