Author Topic: 30AC McQuarrie/Concept Figures  (Read 73093 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: McQuarrie and Other Concept Figures
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Well it is nice that Hasbro went balls out on these McQuarrie figures.  They could have easily made a lame attempt and said "these figures don't interest anyone" so we won't make an effort.  They have better articulation on many of the figures they have already released in the past.  I am psyched for almost all of them now. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Damn, he looks pissed.  ;)  I like the holster for the blaster, but I wish his cape was more tattered like the bottom pic.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:34 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2007, 01:50 AM »
Hmm. Maybe it's just the pics, but I'm not convinced McVader is different enough for me to bother with. The Koto version looks awesome, but maybe the differences are too subtle to work on the 3.75" scale.

Undecided on McChewie. The figure itself is a smashing rendition of the concept art; I'm just not sure if I need him or not.

What would be really rad is a headswap with a regular Chewie to get an armored Wookiee. Might be hard to get the fur colors to match though....
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2007, 01:59 AM »
Anyone who doesn't buy McBacca is funding terrorism.

That's figure perfection to me...  The highlight of the show actually for me, in terms of a single figure.  I love it.  He'll fit into random scenes perfectly because he's such a freak.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2007, 08:07 AM »
Chewie is figure perfetction. I love that freaky looking thing.  Vader is just too conservative, and they didin't stick close enough to the painting.  In the art, Vader looks graceful and streamlined, but the figure looks bulky and complicated.  What stands out most is that Vader doesn't have the ribbing on his suit in the painting.  It really ruins the figure.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2007, 08:18 AM »
Chewie is figure perfetction. I love that freaky looking thing.  Vader is just too conservative, and they didin't stick close enough to the painting.  In the art, Vader looks graceful and streamlined, but the figure looks bulky and complicated.  What stands out most is that Vader doesn't have the ribbing on his suit in the painting.  It really ruins the figure.
I'll second that opinion- Chewie is bizarre and unique, vader looks, well, 1/2 assed. Give him the sleek look of the painting and it could be one of my all time favorite figures- instead it looks like a cheap head-swap for the most part. I think it's actually insulting to Ralph's vision, it's like they didn't even try. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but it just an opinion so don't get too excited.

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Anyone who doesn't buy McBacca is funding terrorism.

That's figure perfection to me...  The highlight of the show actually for me, in terms of a single figure.  I love it.  He'll fit into random scenes perfectly because he's such a freak.

Too right.

My single most wanted figure of 2007.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2007, 11:24 AM »
I think these look great. Yeah Vader's a little shabby but Chewie's cool. I'll still buy these.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2007, 12:44 PM »
I really don't like these figures. I think they are the weakest ones shown. Not a fan at all.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2007, 01:17 PM »
Chewie is a fantastic figure.  He's everything these figures should be, and that Vader is everything they shouldn't be - unfaithful.  The use of the cloth pieces does more than anything else to ruin the look of the figure.  He should sleek, shiny, plastic.  To me this looks like a POTF2 Vader with more articulation; it looks like Vader, but it's off a little.  I'm disappointed in this one.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Chewie is one of the best sculpt figures ever. Vader is okay, I will still get him. but so far the rank of the first 4 McQuarrie figs are

1. Chewie
2. Boba Fett
3. Stormtrooper
4. Vader

I can't wait to see the last four. Bring on Luke, Han, SNOWTROOPER, Rebel Trooper

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2007, 12:41 AM »
Part of me wants to get these and keep them carded, in a little concept character display area.  But I can't help thinking these are basically rejected ideas in figure form.  Hasbro did do a great job with accuracy on the Boba and Chewie though.  I just find it odd to have figures based on non-approved concepts.  Actually, I guess the main reason is that I don't have the nostalgia for these, I first saw his concept art probably in the mid to late 90's.  But I'm glad you guys who are excited for them will be able to get them.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2007, 02:59 AM »
DB, you've gotta admit that the Chewbacca would look kinda cool in a pirate gang or something.  It's so freakishly off from the final thing, that it just stands out as a unique alien to me.

The Vader, I agree there's a little disappointment in me in how he turned out, and he's definitely not easy to manipulate into a diorama/scene.  He doesn't "fit" with the other line figures.  What he does well is just sorta stands there as an homage to the art if you're into it...  I am so he's good for that, but I mean he won't slip into a background of some diorama, that's for sure.

Chewbacca's already getting ready to invade my shelves though.  He just is too funny looking...  I think he'll chill in my Cantina.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2007, 09:40 AM »
If Hasbro hadn't been doing such a nice job on these sculpts, I would not be getting an opener set. This line is yet another instance where Hasbro really needs a pat on the back.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Part of me wants to get these and keep them carded, in a little concept character display area.

You hit the nail on the head, i've been planning that since I heard these were finally being released. Of course i'll be picking up an extra Chewie or two for the collection.  ;)