Author Topic: 30AC McQuarrie/Concept Figures  (Read 73086 times)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: McQuarrie and Other Concept Figures
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2006, 09:27 PM »
I'd really love to see Joe Johnston's cantina plant creature get a figure. I've wanted one of those for years.

Are you refering to the Jelly fish type creature? If so, that would be an awesome figure.
roron corobb

Yeah.

Can't find the original colored sketch anywhere online. ??? BTW, West End Games made a figurine of the thing called Alien Student of the Force.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Actually, acording to the Art of Star Wars, the plant guy was designed by Ron Cobb, who was an illustrator and "Undeground" cartoonist.

My guess for the 8 figure is this

1. Stormtrooper (Check)
2. Vader (Check)
3. Chewie (Check)
4. Han (With beard and saber)
5. Luke (With airmask fighting Vader, or the one from the Cantina Standoff painting, I don't think they'll make a female Luke)
6. R2
7. 3PO
8. Boba Fett (Yeah, Johnston designed him, but I be Hasbro is just being unspecific and just calling concept figures "McQuarrie" figures.)
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Actually, acording to the Art of Star Wars, the plant guy was designed by Ron Cobb, who was an illustrator and "Undeground" cartoonist.

Really? I thought is was Johnston.

Well, there it is, right there in The Art of Star Wars; Ron Cobb.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:44 PM by Ook »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2006, 04:32 AM »
There was, I thought, a sketch (very rough) of all the Cantina aliens planned, and that plant person was on it...  It's definitely cool and the kind of thing that I feel takes the Concept gig a whole step further.

I'm excited over the news of the Concept figures because I heard names I wanted to...  Namely Vader, Chewie, and Fett.  McChewie will be so freakishly different it'll fit into the Cantina next to the real chewbacca and nobody would know the difference.

McVader I just want because it's badass looking.  Doesn't need to fit in to suit me really, it just was a great design...  Fett, if they go with the white Bespin duds, I love that outfit and always have.  I thought that was a McFett design though?  I've gotten confused on that of late.  I wonder if he used it in his works but Johnston designed it?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2006, 04:38 AM »
McChewie will be so freakishly different it'll fit into the Cantina next to the real chewbacca and nobody would know the difference.

That's exactly why I want him! It's like a whole 'nother alien. In fact, I think EU has adopted the concept guy as the "Ariwook" species. I'm not too interested in the concept figures otherwise.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2006, 05:58 AM »
Yeah almost all concept art turned up in the WEG RPG books at one point or another.  The Concept Speederbike turned into a Rebel Speederbike in the WEG books and then Hasbro...  Same with the airspeeder and Cloud Car.

The Concept Snowtroopers became I believe ISB Troopers I think...  There's a lot of others though for certain...  Certain things didn't really, like I don't believe the Stormtrooper got meshed in unless they used it as the concept for the "Rad" Trooper (Radiation Trooper) perhaps...  Vader didn't I don't believe.  I think the original look of Luke got meshed into a Rebel Scout Trooper though at one point, though the head may have changed.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I'd like the plant guy too.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pics online of these, but I'd like to see concept figures of:

-Yoda (the one who's really wrinkly and has upright pointy ears, not the little blue Santa Claus looking one)

-Bib Fortuna (in The Art of ROTJ, there's one of him with this blue top hat,  he looks kinda creepy)

-Sith Witch (there's 2 types I've seen in the "Art of" books: the one in the flowing red robe with the white face and black racoon eyes, which has been made into a minature, and the other has bluish skin with red braids, that's the one I'd really like. She's pretty demonic looking).

I know these are a long shot, and we'll probably just get the main character concepts, but they'd look cool. If anyone can post pics of the ones I tried to describe, I'd appreciate it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2006, 12:21 PM »
...And yes, the Concept Stormie IS included in the 8 McQuarrie figures on tap, along with the Vader.  Hopefully some of the others will include:

C-3PO
R2-D2
Chewie
Boba Fett
Luke
and maybe Han?...

I forgot that McChewie was on the recent RS rumor list, so that obvious choice looks even better now.  I also forgot that the Boba Fett design wasn't McQuarrie's.  Not so sure on that one now, since Hasbro could get in some legal trouble from Johnston's camp if they suggest it's McQuarrie's design on the card.  Plus, with the Holiday Special Fett purportedly coming, that might be too many "concepty" Bobas at once.

I still think the droids, Luke, and Han are solid bets, based on the pics in the first page of this thread.  But if Boba doesn't make the cut, that leaves one last slot.  That plant thing would be pretty cool/unique, but I'm guessing Hasbro's going to be shooting for some slightly more popular characters that'll sell on name recognition alone.  What other McQuarrie pix are there of the core characters?

Yoda?

His Tusken wound up being too spot-on to be considered "concepty" enough for this line, I'd imagine...

Same characters as earlier in this shot:

Leia?

No front view of the TIE Pilot here:

Rebel Pilot:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:33 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Wait, this picture of Boba Fett IS McQuarrie's (as Scott was surely suggesting).  Where'd we get off on the tangent that it wasn't?

I guess I'll just stick with my original choices then, and keep Boba in the list.  If not Boba, then Yoda's my #2 choice for that last spot.

Here's another cool pic of Lando in drag.  Or is that Prince?

Boba & Lando:

Or maybe Hasbro's combining the already rumored Hermi Odle in with the McQuarrie figures... McHermi?

Palpy

No, wait... I figured it out - it's Mon Mothma!

Obviously I'm lost within McQuarrie's site right now.  Most of these other pix are too close to the finished character, hence not interesting enough to include in this Concept line.  So I'm sure it'll be the Boba, or maybe Yoda, in there at #8.  Can't wait for this subline, UGH scarcity, or not.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:46 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2006, 01:13 PM »
I believe Johnston developed the costume and McQuarrie incorporated it into his concept art.  I could be wrong though...could be a good time to pull out the Concept Art books for ANH and ESB

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2006, 01:13 PM »
The RoTJ pics were painted during production, with the use of reference photos from the sets.  I'm a huge McQ fan, but never liked these too much.

Fett was designed by Johnston, but McQ incororated the design into the ESB paintings.

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2006, 01:20 PM »
That's the Yoda I was talking about....thanks JediMAC!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Good stuff - they could even do those black and blue guards from the Bespin image above (the one where Han is captured).

Edit:

This is a must have 2 pack as well:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:58 PM by ruiner »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2006, 08:02 PM »
All I hope is that Vader has a holster and pistol, as he did in many of these drawings.

The other thing that would be great, is if they remade the shield for the Stormtooper to look chrome.  In that painting, to me, those shileds are shinier than the armor, and in my mind I had always pictured them as chome.  That being said, the announced new paint job for the trooper is very welcome.  That figure was a decent sculpt, but the paint was very uninspired.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:17 PM by speedermike »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2006, 02:44 AM »
I too was thinking that Johnston designed Fett but McQuarrie incorporated him into the work he did, which makes it somewhat shared since it never arrived in that form int he film.

That's my favorite Fett though.  Ip refer it over the film Fett even...  It must be one they make.  It has to be.