Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42207 times)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
I was asked by Phruby to be Group leader of Concept Art and Overall Design.

So i am asking all of you who have ideas in your head, and would like to help develop what this project will look like,  to sign up as part of the team.

Keep in mind, you dont have to be the "greatest artist in the world"  Rough Sketches are fine.
If you have an idea that you cant convey on paper, let us know and well work with you to make it so.

The more ideas/artist we have, the better this will work.  So sign ip folks and lets get this party started! :P

Those of you who have artistic talents, please join in!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 03:22 PM »
I've got a few sketches made up already. I'm in. :)
"This is the way."

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I'll try and do it, I'll have something soon.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Im in for this Glass, Let me know what I can do to help. I ve got a couple of ideas.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30 AM »
I'm just getting caught up on this.  I'll try to put together some sketches but I'm not sure what to work on yet.  How close are we to nailing down a basic concept?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:42 PM »
I promise I'll have a concept piece whipped up by early tommorow morning. I want to be sure my "Idea" that I have in my head can be understood by everyone. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:14 PM »
I have some concept art drawn, but I need o get it up here.  It'll be up by tonight.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Ok guys. Here is the art team.

BrentS
Clone Commander 1
Darth Ennis
Glassman6
Joerhyno
Ryan

I was waiting in hopes a few more pople would join.
It will be our job to convey the ideas that are devopled Visually.

Its still early and nothing has been set in stone as far as concept,  so feel free to join in.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:13 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Hey glass, you can count me in.. here's som ideas I posted in another thread...
WEll, I'm not good at stories or names or any of all that, so I'll just throw out a couple of ideas I had.  I also like the look of both Chewies and Glassmans drawings, though I'd like to see a little less forset and more rock/mountain land and grasslands on eachside of it, maybe right at the edge of the city, there's a couple fields and hills, then a forest, then rocks and the mountain.
Even thoguh I think a forest would look real cool.. I'm afraid it will tale away from a lot of stuff that can be put in and around it...

I like the big Imperial tower in there.. I'd like to see some sort of "Medieval Castle" take on it.. back then, the way a castle was constructed, was the main living area was in the center, then there was a smaller wall, and then the "town" where the peasants lived... In a way, I think this would look cool.. Yet I dont mean making an actual Medieval looking castle/tower, but just using the layout/look of one for the Imperial Tower and the town surrounding it.

Another thing I was thinking was maybe making the setting in a cooler, almost winter climate... Hear me out.. thinking about the construction process, I think this would work in out favor... we could have a setting where, it's like the beginning of a winter cycle, that way, when we start to piece together the thing, if there's any inconsistencies in the terrain, we could easilt get some fake snow and cover up small areas, so it jus tlook like snow drifts or what not...  I think it'd also help in the trees area, I mean, making forests and treas can be a huge undertaking, not to mention, how well will the "leaves" look?? If we go with a cooler climate, we could ditch the leaves, and have bear trees, and I think this would actually help in the forest.. at least you could  set up a number of mini dios going on in the forest.. and not worry about people straining to see throught the foiliage..

Someone mentioned using stone tiles.. and I like this idea.. but that can add a lot of weight to the project.. what about buying some cheap linoleum floor tiles.. buying some of that stone/rock spray paint and going over them with that? And to make it even more effective, there can be a different number of sprays used for streets, clear areas in the town/outpost...

I'm for being set between EP3 and 4.. I dont know if this has been set in stone or not, but I really think this will be good cause, that's what Lucas is gonna be working on and most likely what we'll be seeing at C4, stuff for the animated and live action show...

If we pick that time frame(like I said, I dont know if it has been or not), I'd like to see a good clone/stormtrooper hybrid... I think one easy simple solution would be to use a stormtrooper helmet on a clone body.. I think clones are a lit easier to find than "good looking" stormtroopers... and I think we could also use snowtrooper/Galactic marines here as well...

I like the idea of a Hutt "crimeloard" of some sorts.. maybe we could build his "palace" in the mountains.. and that'd be perfect for a slew of seedy characters as we saw in RotJ in Jabba's Palace.

I mentioned in the main thread, but I'd like to see something like a race track of some sort, at first I mentioned a swoop track, but with thinking about the cooler climate, maybe a different kinda speeder race track of some sorts. the main reason I wanna do something like this, was I think this could be our one way of each contributing something that would represent who we are in the real world.. we could each customize a speeder/swoop/hovercycle whatever it is.. and put it in there, maybe even do how nascar and Rally racers do and put our name on the "car"...  This way, even if someone did help in the planning, construction, figures, vehicles, or whatever.. you wouldn't really know who did what(I'm talking about the passerbys at the con).. but if we say put a little stand up near the "race track" and had a list of the vehicles(maybe by number) and the vehicles, we could explain how each "race car" represented a customizer that worked on the project...

Anyway.. that's all I can think of right now.. let me know what you guys think... I'm off to go watch Macguyver lol..
-Joe

I'm wondering, should we set up another time, maybe durring the weeek for a chat, that way we could all get together, chat about the progress... then we could then later tlak to everyone else in the sat. chat? or we could just post here...lol.. :)
Anyway, if you need another body, let me know... and you can throw my name on the list.
-Joe
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Im in the sketching stage for some of my plans right now. Ive got a really cool idea for a bar/ cantina/ strip club type of thing. I don't have a scanner but I will see finding one to get it to you.

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:40 PM »
if i can get my scanner hooked up, i'm in.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 12:47 AM »
I made a really rough sketch of what I envision this planet looking like and added some coloring real fast. Here's what I came up with:

My original idea was similar to Glassman and Chewie's and this really is very close to Glassman's but with a few little tweaks. The most apparent one is the Imperial base no longer being connected to the city. My reasoning behind this is that a lot of US military bases tend to be on the far outskirts of a city or a few miles away, so they can have their privacy. Imperials would still patrol the city and hold its wall, but their main base of operations wouldn't be connected. We could add a small little outpost inside the city if people wanted to.

I went with a walled in city, as it will be easier to transition from city to wilderness if there is a solid dividing line, and it will make things easier on me and the diorama team later on. The easy in-world reasoning would be that it is a harsh wilderness and they are trying to keep everything out. I figure the city had expanded since the wall was built hence the settlements on the outside. Credit does go to Glassman on that part, I liked that about his drawings.

As for the river, I think it could be a really cool feature. It would be very hard to make it look realistic though, so we could just as easily make a dried up riverbed.

I like the idea of mountains, having different levels of terrain could look pretty cool. I added a hidden Rebel Base in the back corner there, as well as a small village near the river and the edge of forgot to draw.

At this point the wilderness will be whatever is decided upon.
"This is the way."

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I'm wondering, should we set up another time, maybe durring the weeek for a chat, that way we could all get together, chat about the progress... then we could then later tlak to everyone else in the sat. chat? or we could just post here...lol.. :)
Anyway, if you need another body, let me know... and you can throw my name on the list.
-Joe

I plan on doing this, after we have a "succesful" concreted idea discussion.

Ryan,
I can see your argument for the base outside of the city. I would then move the settlement to the other side of the map and have a break in the wall where they sneak into the town, casue everytime an imperial convoy rolls to the city, they are gettng harrassed.
My thingking is, you live in the settlement, casue you cant afford/dont want to be under the imperial "wathcful eye" so being right under them woulnd be less likely...? 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:14 AM by Glassman6 »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 10:29 AM »
That is a great drawing Ryan.  Looks like a cool design to me.

One thing I think we really need to have in the wilderness is some open fields, kind of like what we see on Dantooine in the KOTOR games.  That way we don't have to worry about so many trees and can also populate the wilderness a bit more with random travelers and a landspeeder or two.

Here's a couple pics of Dantooine - I love this planet and think it would be awesome to replicate the design a bit.

:)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 10:29 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 09:55 AM »
I agree. Dantooine was what I had in mind originally for this project.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours