Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42208 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2007, 07:58 PM »
It looks like you can get some great stratas out of it.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2007, 11:54 PM »
Ryan, i think your layout is great. I'm perfectly open to suggestions. I have said from the beginning that these were images to build on, but no one really offered any alternatives till now.

from the start i said to feel free to take some license with this "Concept" and build on it.

I like your layout. The city is not dense enough and very separated. but i think you make some great points about viewing.

But keep in mind if the area given is 9x24 we will have a depth of 9' to deal with. so that is why i oriented my as i did.
Other wise there will be 3 feet in front or behind our diorama.  Or 1.5' if in the middle of the table.

So lets decide quick how to procede.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2007, 01:14 AM »
The thing is we don't have to make it 9 feet deep. I don't think any of the others will be that large. I think 3 feet in front is fine.

I got measurements on the tower and lazer from Justin so I can modify that layout a bit to fill the city out more. I should be done with that in a few days.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2007, 03:53 AM »
If you hack some room off the "depth" in the back, you leave yourself some room for a backdrop option, Glassman...  Also you could have a little room to sit, talk, set something down for whoever's sitting behind the diorama at any given time.  Little table space (and the backdrop would even add privacy if you wanted to just chat with some of yoru online buddies at the show) behind the scene isn't a bad thing.

If I may give my opinion on the dimensions, I think width will display better than depth...  Losing depth is just more pallatable from my POV than width.

Consider it like a model train layout for example.  They're usually not incredibly deep, but they can fill a display hall's wall with width.  People walk along looking at all the spiffy details...  That's something to consider for this I think, looking at it from the perspective of someone walking along looking at dioramas and things.  Just my opinion anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I'm not afraid of heights..... just widths  (Comedian Stephen Wright)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #230 on: March 2, 2007, 01:33 PM »
Ok here is the 6x9 oriended layout.  I incorpereated some of Ryan's ideas.
I still say a denser city will look better in the end. More work, but it wont look like a couple of "sepreate" pieces placed on a landscape. which is my only criticisim of your city area.
A city with a street system, open spaces and a hierarchy in the buildings, i think is a must.

Which ever layout we decide after today, is "THE" layout so please weigh in now.

« Last Edit: March 2, 2007, 01:40 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 2, 2007, 02:16 PM »
I really like your layout Glassman.   I think we have to have the density and randomness of an urban area.  My main quesiont is on the scale of the buildings.  If my math is right, the little rectangular buildings (with the circles on top) are roughy 6" x 8"  does that seem right?  Also what is the difference between the colors.  It looks like you ahve the streets highlighted but what about the other areas that aren't buildings, we'll have to figure out what we want to do with those.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #232 on: March 2, 2007, 09:06 PM »
THe smaller 6x8 buildings i had seen as huts. But this can be massaged to be a bit bigger. so insted of 2 maller huts, replace it with one bigger one.
The difference between the colors is the public street vs the private areas. It could all be sand or dirt, but its so we know what is street/open space vs "yard"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 2, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Okay, I think I "get" it now.  I took one of your earlier sketches and circled one of the "huts".  How big did you envision this.  It looks like it would need to be at least 5" tall (or maybe 6").  If that is true, then it's probably at least 6" wide and 8-10" deep, right?