Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42209 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2006, 03:53 PM »
I love Glassman's helmets but I think that concept drawing with Stormie and Bacara looks really sweet.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Looks like I missed out on a really good chat.  I'm not so sure how much I like the idea of Clone armor with Stormtrooper helmets, only because it forces anyone using that to give up two figures.  I kind of think that SAGA2 Sandtroopers would work well for the Stormtrooper garrison.

Also, on the humanoids, I personally prefer two arms and making them generic humans.  That's basically what we see in the OT outside of the Cantina and Jabba's Palace, and for whatever reason basic humans just seem right to me.

The Bacara type Stormtrooper idea is outstanding.

:)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2006, 08:39 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with Justin on the Stormtrooper designs. I'd very much prefer plain old VOTC/SAGA2 Stormtroopers. Like CHEWIE was saying, the hybrids would force people to get rid of two figures as opposed to just lending us a Stormtrooper or two. With this being the 30th Aniversary it'd be a good thing to include something as simple and iconic as a regular stormtrooper, so there is something any fan can imediately identify with. I do really like the Bacara/Stormtrooper helmet for the officer/commander though.

"This is the way."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2006, 09:25 PM »
Can I third the motion?  I have an extra POTJ Sandtrooper I could donate, and I could alter him as needed.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2006, 10:02 PM »
Great points.
So we do all stormtroopers, do we keep the commanders with clone helmet hybrids?

Secondly, about the natives, while the popular vote is what we will go with, i think if we are going so far as to custimize a world, we should "customize" a species.  Even if they werent as exotic as the 4  armed option, something should set them apart as unique to our world.

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I agree about the Stormtrooper part, but I think the natives should at least have a tail, different skin color, or some type of antennae.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2006, 10:12 PM »
I'm not completely up to speed on the chat discussions.  However, here's my 2 cents:

I've already commented on the coolness of the Stormie/Bacara commander.  I think we should definitely use that one.

I'm okay either way clone/stormie or just stormie.  I see the merits of a plane old stormtrooper.  We'll just need to decide which version to use.

As far as the native species.  I wonder if we could use an alien native as well asa human population that has come in to support the "mining operation" or whatever reason that the planet was determined to be an asset to the Empire.  I think we could easily blend the two (or more species).  Sort of like the gungans and humans on Naboo.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2006, 12:20 AM »
Simply, we could ad some form of tatoo or color to them, perhaps paint or somthing. Simple, unique, and fun.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2006, 10:51 AM »
I do like that concept for the humans with tails. Their outfits look very dry and pesent looking. I think we should go with straight stromtroopers with maybe a few extra acessories.  I also like the look of the planet except I would like to see some bigger water regions. Did we ever decide to go with the swamp or just a flat grass/ tree area for the center?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2006, 02:05 PM »
except I would like to see some bigger water regions.

I thought about that too Phruby, and i cut back on the water/green areas sticking with the idea that its mostly a mountainous( if thats a word)  planet.  I think the genneral concensus was that water would be too hard to pull off, so we ran wiith a swamp.  Remember the ROUS( still get a chuckle form that).  I've said it before Paul, you are a funny dude!

BrentS brings up a good point.  There will be multiple species on this world, The empire would bring in "slaves" form where ever, to mine. So we could have a Majority species and ( i can  belive i'm going here) a few minoity species. So we have a good mix.  Then we can "fill in" wiht all the more "recognizable" SW species that are out there, sprinkled through out the DIO.

Thoughts?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2006, 08:28 PM »

There will be multiple species on this world, The empire would bring in "slaves" form where ever, to mine. So we could have a Majority species and ( i can  belive i'm going here) a few minoity species. So we have a good mix.  Then we can "fill in" wiht all the more "recognizable" SW species that are out there, sprinkled through out the DIO.

I think this is definitely the way to go.  It would seem more real and star wars"ish" if there was enough variety in the species.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 11:23 PM »
Sure, there's got to be variety in the species, I totally agree with that.  On most worlds in the films we see quite a bit of variety.

I am thinking that possibly humans with some sort of strange feature to them might be a good idea...

Tails - not too keen on that idea, just because I think it's a stretch
Four arms - sounds great, but I don't think it will work out...
Different colored skin - that is my favorite idea for the people of this planet... I like how the Chiss are blue (not that I think these people should be blue, but the Chiss are just an example)

:)

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2006, 03:54 AM »
Well, I'm for either Straight Up Stormtroopers, or Clones with Stormie helmets.. Remember, we can always get cast helmets from people.. ahem.. stores...ahem... so that wouldn't be a big deal on the "two figures" part.  The main reason I threw out the Clone idea, was A. it's be cool to see some sort of transition from PT to OT.. and B. THere'll be tons of clones around and a lot easier to get and I really doubt many people are gonna want to give up that many PotJ or Saga2 Stormies/Sandies...

As for the race(s) on the planet.. I like hte idea of a color to their skin, but I'm against green... I dont want it to look Star Trek-ish.... and going with that.. I'd rather if we do go with a different skin color.. we also do something different with the actual body.. cause then again.. I think just a diffrent colored human, would look like lame..
I personally like the 4 arms idea.. remember, it's not for everyone on here.. but the planets species.. look at Tatooine.. how many different creatures did you see in the different settlements/towns?

Here's an idea I was thinking of while sketching out some stuff... What if we had a humanoid species that had their settlement outside of the town, they had two arms.. kinda like the ones in Glass's pic:

Then there's another smaller settlement out by the mountains... same kind of species, but these have 4 arms:

Now, they's all be the same color... but maybe a darker shade, or so.. and kinda like they evolved a little different cause of the mountains they live in or something?? OOOH.. another idea.. adobe like settlement carved into the mountain??? And maybe that's why there's a rift on the planet.. maybe the 4 armed species wants to be part of the Rebellion, cause they're not liked(we all know the Empire looks down on aliens).. and maybe the more "human-like" species, sides with the Empire??? So the species in the mountains secretly help the hidden rebels in the mountain out??? Just some Ideas there...
We could even give the different species different "clan" names or something??  THat could be cool, clan colors or something... markings on their clothings/buildings or flags or something?

What else was thrown out in the Chat? I had family up from TX, so I couldn't make it...

Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 09:29 AM »
How about a different skin color like green, blue or purple for the natives?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2006, 07:31 PM »
I agree with JoeRhyno that green is cliche'( which is probably why it was the first color i thought of)  and blue = chiss  in the SW world. So lets go with a light purple.

Light Purple  anybody? Anyone? Buller?