Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42475 times)

Offline master yogurt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I think it's a good start. If I could suggest a few things, the first would probably be to limit the use of symmetry. The formality of a structure is not only achieved by rigid lines. Try introducing different planes to your original concept as well as the use of voids. I would suggest looking at ziggurats for inspiration. Good luck.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 02:41 PM »
DP- I think that looks good.  I think once we've agreed on an overally theme for the buildings something like this would look good.  The only reason it wouldn't work is if this is still being viewed as an "out of the way" local and something that wouldn't have such a large "royal" structure.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 10:06 AM by BrentS »

Offline hawkn564

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2006, 07:56 PM »
ill help, im good with models!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2006, 10:44 PM »
I like the ideas here DP.
 If there is indeed a tower in the imperial basem the rebels are way to close.
they should  be on the opposite end, hidden, or they would be squashed, quickly.

Other than that, nice concepts.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2006, 04:16 PM »
I was telling my Dad a bit about the UGP and he thought it was a really cool idea. One kind of thing he mentioned (guess it goes in the overall design part) is that maybe when people make customs for the diaroma that we could put a little card next to it with a number on it and then in a seperate location list all the numbers, what the custom is, who made it, and how to contact them. I thought it was a pretty cool idea myself. Or we could alter the idea a bit and instead of all the little numbers being in the diaroma, have a seperate list that has all the names of people who contributed customs, what they contributed, and how to contact the person. I dunno, yall think about it. :P
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Yeah, true, Glassman. I kind of have an issue about having it be a grassland palnet. The hidden base/settlement(s) will be too visible. On the Governor's house:

A) It wouldn't be an "out of the way" building. It would be surrounded by upscale buildings and the Imp. Base.

B)It is a bit too even. I'll do some reworking there. But, I mean this is the Empire we're talking about here. They are a bit OCD if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:30 PM by DarK_PhoeniX »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I was telling my Dad a bit about the UGP and he thought it was a really cool idea. One kind of thing he mentioned (guess it goes in the overall design part) is that maybe when people make customs for the diaroma that we could put a little card next to it with a number on it and then in a seperate location list all the numbers, what the custom is, who made it, and how to contact them. I thought it was a pretty cool idea myself. Or we could alter the idea a bit and instead of all the little numbers being in the diaroma, have a seperate list that has all the names of people who contributed customs, what they contributed, and how to contact the person. I dunno, yall think about it. :P

My idea is to take a overhead picture of the entire project and list out the custom credits with id numbers where each item is placed. These could be posted around the table. It's kind of a last minute thing as we are setting the diorama at C4.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Ok guys, by now you have received Newsletter #3.

Following the chat, and some ideas that were thrown around, here are some concept images.
feel free to runn with any of these ideas and develop them further, or come up with some counter ideas.

First, i though our planet needed a look, form space.  Following the background story, its mostly mountaious terrain with a few habitable areas.

Secondly native.

We tossed around a few ideas

Human or Humanoid( like humans with some odd non human feature)

Here are a couple
Humanoid - different skin color?

Humanoid with 4 arms?

With a tail or a hump

These ideas came about with reguards to ease of customizing and relating to the non customizing viewer.

Third,  We decided that out  imperials will be clone trooper bodies with stormie heads.

Also we will have white, weathered troopers, NO colors. Commanders are designated with
bacarra helmet covers and cody like rank badges.

Comments?  Developmental Ideas?  Alternatives?
If you have an idea that you can't convey let one of our team members
(BrentS, Clone Commander 1 ,Darth Ennis, Glassman6, Joerhyno, Ryan)
 know what it is so they can put it on paper for you.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:52 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2006, 04:31 PM »
wow, I'm loving the look of the clone/stormie and that commander!!! ;D

I've been messing with a new paint program my sister gave me, but man, it's taking forever to "learn" it, lol...

So I might just take a pic of the drawing I did... it basically uses a couple of the ideas that have been drawn sketched out for the layout, but moving them around a little, to better use the area of the "map" and so we have some natural boundries at the edge of the dio, instead of it just ending...

I like the 4-armed aliens, but I'd vote against the natives being green, I think it'd be to cliche-ish, and not only that, ifit's a mountainous world, unless they're all green mountains.. wouldn't really make sense.. THOUGH if there were say a dark brown species in the mountains and then a green tinted one... in the city/grasslands.. that might make a little sense...

LOL.. and I give a big no to the humback natives after seeing that Igor-esque drawing.

I saw a bunch of those Pirates of the Caribbean figures at walmart today, some I've never seen before, I wonder if we can incorporate any of them in the dio.. hmmm...

On a side note, I bought some stuff from Walmart today, just little stuff to tinker around with, and I got some sweet fine grain sand that might work well to texture some of the walls buildings, even the ground/mountains.. we'll see...
Chewie.. if you're reading this, I know you like sand, cause you mentioned it a couple times, Walmart had their play sand(blue and pink colored) marked down to $3 for a 40 lbs bag ;)

oh, and anyone have a pic of the 4-armed dude that was mentioned in the chat?

Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2006, 05:46 PM »
Found that tree making tutorial.
wire trees

I have done some of these, but when I moved they got tossed. They look really cool and you can make them any way you want. If you like the idea, but want a more alien feel, I don't think it would be to hard to add in. We could use anything for the leaves and give the trunk an alien look. I know they are cheaper to make over buying them at Petco or places like that. Let me know what you guys think and I'll work on a few.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2006, 06:58 PM »
those look real sweet, I may have to give it a go too.
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2006, 07:05 PM »
Ditto, those are really cool. I am gonna have to try some too.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2006, 09:11 PM »
Cool looking trees.  Great concepts glass, hope the notes helped.  Right now I like the 4 armed humanoid as our native species.  The clone concepts look great, but when was the bacara idea decided on, I like it, just wondering where I was when it came up :P.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 10:42 AM »
" Stormie commander should have Glassman's hybrid helm"

Cut an paste from your newsletter/notes you sent me.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Oh, duh, I wasn't really sure what the hybrid helm was.  Thanks for clearing that up.
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!