Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42575 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #90 on: August 5, 2006, 12:47 AM »
I got some base figures coming in the mail for the larger type native idea I have. I hope to get something going with them as soon as I get them. They are the Van Helsing figures. They are okay detailed and only about 4-5 inches. Might make some great natives. Has anyone picked any of these figures up? I also came up with an idea why they would be larger in size. What if the planet has blood or something like that sucker type creatures and for a human or smaller species they would kill them be feeding on them as would a child of the native species, but the larger body make more blood for a better change at survival. It morrors a few animals here too like the elephant, hipo, etc. What do you guys think?
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #91 on: August 5, 2006, 09:49 PM »
If you think they still will look good in black and white, you can fax it to me and i can put them up.
PM me enis if that will work.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 6, 2006, 05:09 PM »
The results of my weekend homework.  I guess any concept drawings are better than no concept drawings!  ;D

Outskirts:
Canvas Hut inspired by the Tuskens.  Not sure how easy or hard this would be to make:

Slave Quarters - also inspired by Tatooine.  Ryan gave me an assignement to make some adobe type buildings so here is one concept.

I'm on the fence on this one.  I was thinking the walls would be adobe re-inforced with some sort of metal jointing.  It would also have metal plated doors.  I suppose, depending on the theme, it could go inside the walls or outside.

My take on the walls and tower gates:

Lastly, something more lavish.  All these curves could be dangerous  ;)  This not really developed and I thought about not even including it... however, its still concept.

« Last Edit: August 6, 2006, 05:11 PM by BrentS »

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #93 on: August 7, 2006, 01:09 PM »

Great stuff brentS, Thanks for getting us started.

Here is my idea for a less fancy city dwelling or maybe on the outskirts of the city.

These are more in the city, multiple story buildings

We were thinking the same thing with the huts. I was thinking more mud covered though.

I was also thinking if they were more organic looking buildings in the forrest/woods/clearings

These could go either way.  In the city or out.  Single function buildings.

These are the more upscale buildings. Multiple uses. Maybe a meeting office or  crimelords dwelling

I just ploped these onrandom images and filtered them in photoshop so we get more focus(initially) on the forms and less on the actual components.

Hopefully we will get some more ideas from
Clone Commander 1 , Darth Ennis , Joerhyno & Ryan.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #94 on: August 7, 2006, 01:35 PM »
JAW DROPPING.
my goodness did you draw those, if not those are great and where did you find them. I love those designs, if those eventually get placed as fact, I will soooo love this city. :o

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 7, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Okay Glassman, you win  ;)

Seriously great stuff.  How did you put those together.  They are awesome!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #96 on: August 7, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I made little 3d models  in a program i use for work. Same as i did with the overall concept.
They are really simple forms shot  captured at some (hopefully) dramatic angles..

I found some bridge, forest, and mountain images to use as backdrops, to ground the buildings.
Then, i just added a photoshop filter to them. Makes a nice effect...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 7, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Wonderful drawings guys. They have a very star wars feel to them. I like the arcitecture. I don't know how close we can come to these drawings but it will definately be worth a shot.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 7, 2006, 02:20 PM »
I have some that I'll get up soon.  And great work Glass and Brent!
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 7, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Those are some awesome looking buildings, Glass and Brent. This project is turning into something fast.

Anyway, I got the figures today for the native species idea i have and want some input on them. I think they would work, but I was thinking on changing the heads for a more alien look to them. Would anyone have ideas for a look of the head to use on them? Let me know what you guys think?

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: August 7, 2006, 10:50 PM »
I've been busing doing site stuff and camping this weekend so I haven't been able to finish all four drawings just yet. I did manage to finish two up so far, and hopefully the others will be done by later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

To start off I've got one adobe type dwelling that would probably be seen in the little settlements outside of the main city wall. I went with something that is fairly simple and almost looks like it should have been built a few hundred years ago but gave it a twist of Sci-Fi feel with the door. I'm not all that good at drawing so it didn't come out quite like I wanted, it is supposed to look more like a door you would see on Tatooine. I wanted the building to look like it had been built with local materials, except for the door.

The second is supposed to be some sort of building in the City itself. It was originally going to be some sort of appartment complex but it kind of evolved into an industrial looking building. I suppose it could be either really. This particular version is supposed to be all steel, but if we want concrete we could change the design a bit so it is concrete with the steel supports on the edges. I stole the little supports from Brent BTW, I liked that a lot.  :)

« Last Edit: August 7, 2006, 10:52 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 8, 2006, 09:58 AM »
I can definately see the interal city building as being part of the imperial outpost complex. I see the imperials using prefab steel structures while the natives using more of adobe like materials. It would be a good contrast between them.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 8, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Ryan,
I really like both of your designs.  I can see them both being able to be recreated fairly easily (in a relative point of view) for the dio project.  I may take a stab at the adobe hut for my assignment.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 8, 2006, 05:09 PM »
These concepts all look great.  I'm working on a few designs that I have to scan early next week since that's the only access to a scanner I have.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #104 on: August 9, 2006, 08:53 AM »
This stuff is just plain amazing! I love it all & wish I had some time to contribute!

And forgive me for acting like a n00b & not reading all of the posts in these threads, but has anyone thought of doing some ancient ruins? It's sort of a common theme in SW, and these would make nice structures  to find here & there - maybe make temporary bases out of

These could go either way.  In the city or out.  Single function buildings.

Sorry if this has alreadfy been covered somewhere....