Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42516 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Just a couple of quick concepts I did.  Please excuse the use of my daughter's crayons and markers :P

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Diago-bah, those look great!  I could see both of those being very useful as concept drawings.  I'd love to see the building in the b/w version as a stand alone drawing so that we could make a model out of it

Offline TresobYr

• Youngling
  • Love is diving head first into a toy bin.
    • View Profile
    • SWAFT
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Wow. This project looks pretty intense.

Bill Cable from the Creature Cantina asked me to check up, see what you guys were up to, and offer whatever support we can muster.

I'm still doing my homework with these expansive forum threads and posts, and I'm very impressed.

If I could make a quick comment on the "native" species. I've seen a lot of conversation about what would look cool or what would look Star Warsish. I've also seen some pretty professional looking mock-ups. I'm wondering, however, if the project might take better advantage of thinking about how the terrain would define characteristics of the alien species, since the terrain seems to be the primary focus of so much of the construction process.

For instance, would having four-arms be an advantage in this environment? Would they help the creatures scale that mountain range, and manuever in the trees? Might they have two different sets of arms, one for climbing rocks, and one for climbing branches? Or maybe this becomes a distinctive trait for the different alien races...arboreal natives might have longer grasping arms, and the mountain variety have a set of shorter, more muscular arms, like grappling hooks? Could their faces resemble some kind of mountain animal, like a ram (giving a kind of bothan-esque look)?

Of course, the kind of mountains will also make a difference...

On a similar note, is anyone working on wildlife?

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:50 PM by TresobYr »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05 PM »
I have plenty of animal/ Dino saurs that are fictitious designs, I got them fromthe Dino Warriors line at Target, they have a saurian nature to them but are differant than any real dino.

Smarty,

PS Ill see if i can get some shots up if i have time.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Daigo, great sketches.   I like the rounded less rigid buildings you came up with VS the many very angular ones.  Very good ideas.

Tres, Very good points... Maybe we should give thought to  that more. I touched on it when i mentioned that  the idea of 4 arms  was good for faster mining....

Great imput.  Please offer more. 

Offline TresobYr

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • SWAFT
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2006, 09:03 PM »
I was a little confused as to the status on the native race after the chat last night, but in any event, four arms could be an advantage for mining, or they could be a hindrance. It all depends on what kind of arms we're talking about and how the mine is set up, no? For instance, long dangling arms meant for swinging around trees could be a liability in a cramped tunnel. On the other hand, if the mine were a series of pits, maybe one set of arms could be used for bracing a creature along the walls, and the other arms for gathering minerals.

On the whole, though, I generally think of smaller creatures as being better suited for underground work, since they can fit in tighter spaces. Alternatively, maybe these creatures are able to collapse very flexible bodies into small spaces.

I imagining a creature with the proportions of a Kaminoan could be able to curl up tightly or slither between crevices.

This, of course, assumes the natives are being forced into the mines.

Offline TresobYr

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • SWAFT
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2006, 09:37 AM »
I was trying to imagine some of the "scenes" that might be in this diorama...

What if the indigenous species had at least one member who was Force sensitive, but not necessarily a Jedi. If this is a race that hasn't come into contact with the rest of the galaxy, they might not have been influenced by Jedi or Sith. They could have their own concept of the Force. This could make for a scene in a secluded area where an old Master is meditating while training a young adept at telekinesis. There could be an Imperial patrol not far away, creating suspense.

In the chat, Fritz had mentioned putting a monster in the scene. I thought it would be neat to have its brood of eggs outside of one of the walls of the rebel base, maybe one of the eggs could be hatching.

And there should be some kind of emergency in the city, either an explosion in a warehouse, or possibly a bar brawl in a cantina, something that would give the security forces a reason to react.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Here are a couple of quick building designs.  Until we have a definite feature or characteristic that the local buildings should have, I'm just sorta throwing shapes out there!  I'm better at drafting a determined design than brainstorming ideas...

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2006, 01:45 PM »
I like your indepth line of thought TresobYr.   If you can, sketch up some of these concepts.
if not, PM me and i'll sketch em up for ya. It would be great to see some of these ideas on paper.

Daigo, I'm loving you sketches, Good sence of scale in that tower. I'm hoping to have a few more images posted by the weekend.

Offline TresobYr

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • SWAFT
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2006, 08:21 AM »
I haven't forgotten...it's just a hectic beginning of the year!

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I like the imp post

Take a look at the one from incredible cross sections and locations. There is a sweet looking garrison in Mos Eisley.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #116 on: September 3, 2006, 04:46 AM »
just thinking out loud... seeing how some of these concepts would work with the Dantooine-esque world y'all are talking about:

« Last Edit: September 3, 2006, 04:47 AM by PenDragon »

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 3, 2006, 08:40 AM »
By the way are these images drafted from SW galaxies? how do you do that?

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #118 on: September 3, 2006, 10:53 AM »
It looks to me like he took Khunda military base on dantooine from KOTOR2, then placed the tower of Joerhyno's on the side with a large military installation on the back.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #119 on: September 3, 2006, 11:19 AM »

And don't forget teh Glassman! I took these 4 images from the thread & melded them - streched a little here & there ... but, like I said, just thinking out loud.

« Last Edit: September 3, 2006, 04:43 PM by PenDragon »