Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42535 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Thanks Jesse - and yeah, the "stone feck" spray paint might really be a good idea.  Very good thinking and thank you for the idea.

;)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Hey guys, brainstorming here a bit to try and make the buildings a little more feasible.

What if... we make the city area a little more like Mos Eisley?  With adobe type buildings (all painted different shades of gray) and mix in Imperial technology/buildings?

Thats what i was originally thinking before all the dantooine talk. I like the idea. In my head, i figured the buildings would look more like that.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I say we go for it... sounds like it might be a less painful way to make some of the buildings, and also have a great Star Wars feel to it.  One thing we've got to be able to do is be flexible and willing to let this whole thing evolve.  Still, I absolutely LOVE the Dantooine inspiration.

Are we in agreement perhaps that for the assembly of the city, it would be easier to lay all the tiles out, and have the walls be modular?  That way the wall could be situated a little bit differently if needed once on site/avoid painting ourselves into a corner?

Also what if the wall was divided up into about 10-12 sections, each ranging in different lengths, but all the same height.  That was on site, Phruby can have a bit of flexibility with it if needed?

;)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2007, 04:31 PM »
I like it too.  Originally, we had shyed away from buildings like that because of the comparison to Tatooine.  However the stoned fleck paint is really cool.  I've used it to create the sand bases on these pieces:

On thing to consider.  The solvents used in these sprays will eat away at styrofoam.  Anything that is made from styrofoam will need to be treated or covered with something (spackle, plastic cloth, paper, etc).

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2007, 05:19 PM »
I say we go for it... sounds like it might be a less painful way to make some of the buildings, and also have a great Star Wars feel to it.  One thing we've got to be able to do is be flexible and willing to let this whole thing evolve.  Still, I absolutely LOVE the Dantooine inspiration.

Are we in agreement perhaps that for the assembly of the city, it would be easier to lay all the tiles out, and have the walls be modular?  That way the wall could be situated a little bit differently if needed once on site/avoid painting ourselves into a corner?

Also what if the wall was divided up into about 10-12 sections, each ranging in different lengths, but all the same height.  That way on site, Phruby can have a bit of flexibility with it if needed?

;)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2007, 07:01 PM »
hmm how bout the inhabitants buildings are tatooine esque but in certain areas like the port and tower make it more industrial Empire looking

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Just off-topic for a second: Brent, seeing your Tusken there reminded me about the little alteration I made to improve their look.  You might want to try it.  Just douse your figure as is under a running water faucet, and stand him up somewhere to let him dry for a day or two.  This comparison pic shows one compared to an out-of-the-package one.  Ok, back to topic!

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2007, 09:41 AM »
Ok here is the 9x6 layout.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2007, 11:13 AM »
My Cliffs?

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Glassman, can this be gently reworked to put in the cliffs?  I think its a nice touch for the overall terrain.  I know it would be a touch squeeze but I think it would still be work trying.

Also to remind everyone else, I pulled forward some of Glassman's previous concept drawings for buildings.

Hopefully these can still be used for the resume' and website.

Just some updated illustrations, with some of the ideas implemented:
Canyon instead of mountans.
Buildings w/ some of the ideas that were posted by Daigo-Bah and Joe Rhyno.
More familiar star wars ships.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58 PM »
I wasnt omitting them, I was just rushing t0 rework the map. Been extremely busy with work so much so I'm bringing work home almost every night.

Fel free to add them back if i dont get to it first.

REFRESH, I updated the layout. It now has the cliffs and is 6x9, not 7x9 (opps)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:06 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30 PM »
This is REALY REALY AWESOME !!!!

if you guys can pull it off, it may very well be the nicest diorama ever made.

apart from the endor forrest of course ;p LOL

I can't wait to see some MAKING OF PICS !!!

frank (niubniub)

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2007, 01:19 PM »
How high is the west Wall ?  (in inches)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I think we were thinking the west wall would be around 8 inches tall.  I am not sure though... I was planning on working on the wall using foam core.  The only thing I can really think to do is try and make several pieces so it's modular - meaning that if on site there's a problem with the layout, the wall could be re-arranged by Phruby on site.

But I'm concerned about the wall - does it need to have sides for both ends of the city now?  Yikes.

:P

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2007, 10:35 AM »
The understanding is that this is a "section" of the planet/world it will continue in the mural.
So, i wouldnt worry about enclosing the city. Because if all goes well with the mural scenery the city will continue.