Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194611 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #495 on: January 21, 2005, 11:02 AM »
Put me down for David Ortiz, Tom Brady2 and Corey Dillon.  Going to need help on these, they're not going to make the shelves around here. 
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 21, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Shouldn't be an issue for me, so I'm always willing to help. Finding someone in the US to help is always cheaper though, so go that way if someone can help out. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 21, 2005, 06:56 PM »
Really surprised they're doing another Ladanian Tomlinson already.  As for the others, I'm looking forward to Dillon, Horn  and Big Ben!

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 21, 2005, 09:05 PM »
No suprise on the Gretzkys since TMP signed an exclusive deal with him.  As for the rest of the Legends lineup, not very impressed.  Remember guys, if we don't see guys like Howe or Orr, it's because Todd hasn't signed them yet.  Legends have to be signed individually and due to asking price, some guys may never get made (Todd told me this very thing himself when I met him.) 

Very confused as to why we're getting a Tomlinson 3 already.  I'd put that in a 2pak of some sort.  No Ty Law or Brian Dawkins, but hints on the Sports Board are that they may be in a 2pak or a CC exclusive. 

Yzerman should be in the Team Canada set, IMO.

Glad I don't collect NBA. 

Of the new NFL, I'd most likely buy:
BEN ROETHLISBERGER
JULIUS JONES
WILLIS MCGAHEE
JOE HORN
LADAINAIN TOMLINSON 3
KEVIN MAWAE
DREW BREES
MARVIN HARRISON 2
COREY DILLON
LAVAR ARRINGTON

Of the new MLB 12, I'd buy:
TOM GLAVINE (only if it's a Braves retro)
ADRIAN BELTRE (only if it's a Dodgers retro)
NOMAR GARCIAPARRA 2
MIKE MUSSINA
SCOTT ROLEN 2 (depends on the pose)
ERIC GAGNE 2 (depends on the pose)

Anyone see the late news on the MLB 13?  It's basically like a baseball card traded set.  It's all updated of Big Unit, Pedro, Larry Walker and Moises Alou.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 21, 2005, 09:25 PM »
No, I understand the concept of signing someone like Gretzky entirely.  You paid through the nose, so you need to use him as much as you can.  The Team Canada figure is fantastic news.  But....

Too many Gretzky's and they've already made a very serious error they may not be able to recover from.  The Kings Gretzky is littering pegs here like nothing ever has before.  It's already marked down at Walmart ($10 vs regular retail of $13.92 there) but won't be marked down at the other major retailers, all of whom charge $15.95.  Walmart will drop it to $5 shortly (has in some places) but even then, I don't think they'll all go.  Between two Walmarts here there are easily 100+ of that damn figure.  Oh, you can still find blue Oilers Gretzky's as well sitting at $10 (remember, that's a sale price for us).

I don't think the next Kings Gretzky will sell well either.  Oh sure, the variant will go, but that's it.  This is just a regular Kings Gretzky, not some memorable moment with a unique pose either.  Then two more Gretzky's?  What, Blues and Rangers???  Big whoop, variants sell, regs sit.   And this is a place where Tie Domi didn't sit this long.  They overproduced, retailers know it, collectors know it, casual buyers know it and are pissed off because they paid more than they should have.  It's killing the case market for small retailers. 

I completely understand, but why is TMP doing the same thing that killed SLU's that the MAN himself criticized? 

I also understand Orr and Howe not being available, but it's not like there are no other legends in hockey that could be made.  The new lineup, minus more Gretzky's is great.  And there are hundreds of other HOFers and nonHOFers that would more readily be bought at regular retail.  All I'm suggesting is they should have spread it out more.  I already know of retailers that refused Legends I because they knew how many Gretzky figures would be in it and just how poorly they'd sell.  Sorry, but TMP made a huge gaffe. 

With respect to Orr and Howe, indeed, they may never be made.  But my biggest fear is not that they don't get made because they don't sign with TMP or are too expensive.  My biggest fear is that interest at the retailer level is dead because they have too ******* many Gretzky figures being sold below cost or hanging around for months and months.  And that's what I see happening. 

Remember, there is a market in the US for these, but Walmarts in major centers up here order 30-50 cases of these.  That may be nothing compared to US Walmarts, but it is still a very significant component of the hockey business for TMP.  I live in a small town by US standards, a hair under 700,000 people.  We have six Walmarts - 180-300 cases.  We have six Zellers stores (kinda like Kmart/Target), 4-5 cases each so 24-30 cases.  We have six superstores, 5 cases each - another 30 cases.  We have two TRU who carry about 10 cases each, so 20 more cases.  High end estimate is 400 cases for a small city.  Anything in the US compare to that on a per capita basis?  Nope, not a chance in hell, not with hockey.  That doesn't count small communities or smaller stores either.  The US is huge, but hockey is Canada. 

If I'm a casual buyer, I walk into Walmart, see a cool Gretzky figure and drop $15 on it after taxes.  Two months down the road I see it for $5 or less :o  Guess what I'm not buying at full retail next time. 

And no matter what McFarlane may think, the average person does not collect these things like hockey cards.  They're too big, hard to move and more expensive, relative to Todd's card collecting heyday. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2005, 11:08 PM »
I totally agree w/ you bud.  The biggest problem I've seen w/ the NHL Legends lineup is 1) too many Gretzkys packed in each case and 2) not enough other big name Legends in the series thus far.  Series 2 has some bigger names, but series 3 is seriously lacking.

I'm a bit disturbed at the lineups for the sports this year.  I'm seeing SLUs all over again.  Not enough diversity in the lines.  Too many 2nd and 3rd versions of figs and now no regular NHL lineups because of the lockout.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 11:08 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Some of these new figures are cool.  A few of the choices are pretty obvious.  But there's definitely at least a couple of head-scratchers in there in the MLB and NFL lines.  I'm refraining from commenting on the NHL line since I'm ignorant on Hockey.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 22, 2005, 03:58 PM »
For the American hockey fans, Amazon has the Theodore/Smyth two pack for $12.98 as of today.  Pretty quick mark down. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sport****ks
« Reply #503 on: January 22, 2005, 07:04 PM »
For the American hockey fans, Amazon has the Theodore/Smyth two pack for $12.98 as of today.  Pretty quick mark down. 

Still over $20 after shipping and tax.  I'll wait since I just want the Theodore. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 09:46 PM by Holographic Elvis »

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2005, 06:36 PM »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2005, 06:49 PM »
That showboat comes out of retirement and gets a figure.  Why?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2005, 10:53 PM »
My brother-in-law will be excited to see that...me...I'll pass ::)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 1, 2005, 01:54 AM »
I wouldn't mind that Dirty Bird Sanders...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 1, 2005, 10:05 AM »
http://www.spawn.com/news/news2.aspx?id=12527

The guys in the Winnipeg thread over at Spawn are all pretty much pumped about that figure.  More so for the Falcons, but lots of guys want it bad. ::)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 1, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Love the pose (originally Ty Law's).  Not a big fan of the person.
Common sense isn't so common