Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194457 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2005, 10:15 PM »
I'm hoping to score a Bird (either color is fine by me) and I'd love to get the ABA Dr. Jay (can anyone help me out?)

I'm a little torn on the Maravich and whether I should get one.  I do think this is probably the most solid Legends series they've done in any sport, it's absolutely amazing :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 29, 2005, 09:45 PM »
Is this line dead in the US? :o

I hit a pile of Walmarts, Targets, K-mart and TRU.  Really old stuff was the best I could find, save for a few Gretzky's at TRU and a couple of Legends2 baseball figures at one and only one TRU.  Where is this line?

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 31, 2005, 02:05 AM »
Only place really carrying it is TRU right now Brent.  Target won't get them until SW stuff is minimized, Walmart is hit or miss, Gamestop gets them but only 1 case.  So yeah it's dying.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 31, 2005, 08:16 AM »
TRU and stores like Gamestop seem to be among the few that really carry Sports Picks.  The line got super hot and it seems that it's peaked.  I know they aren't as hard to find around me as they had been, and the area is inundated with collectors and scalpers.

On a related note, I've heard that Todd McFarlane is going to scale back on the number of variants that ship in a case.  I think they're trying to make the line hot again by making things harder to find.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 31, 2005, 05:14 PM »
I'd agree that is the way to do it, but I loathe the possibility given the per capita distribution of scalpers out there now.  We've even got one that takes a loss on figures ::)  Moron. 

I was just surprised to see it so pathetic out there.  We have four stores carrying the lines regularly and in case amounts bigger than Gamestop. 
TRU is good for between 2-4 cases of sports other than hockey, they carry lots of hockey still. 
Walmart is biggest into hockey, still running a lot of cases, but down from the 30-40 they used to.  I would suggest the lockout has a good bit to do with that as well as crappy, CRAPPY case assortments (hello Gretzky Legends ::))
Zellers is dumb, but they're carrying lots.  They refuse to clear stuff so they have baseball back to series 8.  Still, they bring in stuff and if you can find a store where the staff don't scam the good stuff, it can be helpful. 
Superstore has picked up the line now carrying basketball and baseball where they used to carry only hockey and football. 

Seems we have almost better shots now than you guys do :o

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 31, 2005, 08:46 PM »
I actually saw some of the NBA Legends figures tonight.  They look cool, but I'm not enough of a fan to buy all of these figures.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 31, 2005, 10:54 PM »
I'm pretty keen on the Legends.  A local guy ordered a case and he's selling me his spares of Bird and Erving.  Other than those I'd just about kill for a chase ABA version of Erving, it's just so cool.  A lot of the other chase pieces are really neat and if I stumble across a Hawks Maravich I'd be pretty pleased. 

I'm much more a fan of those eras of basketball players than I am current guys, so this line is appealing and I think the first series is so strong. 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 2, 2005, 03:26 PM »
Picked up ABA Dr. J and Hawks Pete today.  I'm trading the Pete for a Lakers' Wilt.  All I need is the White Bird.

My wife thinks this line is too funny.  She digs the short shorts, canvas sneakers, Forrest Gump knee braces, and the socks.  Actually I dig the same things also.   :P
« Last Edit: June 2, 2005, 03:28 PM by JayDouble »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 2, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I hate you Jay :'( :P  I know our Walmarts are going to get maybe one case each, same for a couple of other stores, so my likelihood of success is pretty low. 

But yeah, some of the features are so darn entertaining.  I'm not Wilt's biggest fan (something to do with some guy named Russell) but a Lakers version would be cool.  I was really tempted to order a case of this series, the first time in a long time I would have ordered a case. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 2, 2005, 11:23 PM »
The last time I ordered a case was for MLB 10 (I think).  That was the one with Jeter, Palmeiro, Mulder, Delgado, etc.  Great assortment, but I haven't wanted to order an entire case since.

Feedback

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 3, 2005, 01:21 AM »
Cases have started popping up here Brent, so I'll keep an eye out for the ABA version of Erving for ya!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 3, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Thank you :)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 4, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Actually Nicklab they already started doing the chase scale back.  Lots of people in the most recent waves of the various lines have found no chase figs in a case.  I found an NHL Legends 2 case during my C3 trip w/ no chases.  I was really starting to like finding cases w/ 3 chases in them.  Next up: the super chase fig.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 8, 2005, 01:30 AM »
Well, what an interesting series for NBA legends thus far :o

I walk into my local Zellers looking for SW stuff, nada.  I decide to check and see if they have any new McFarlane stuff and they do, Legends Bball.  Cool.  I'm getting figures (Bird and Erving regs) from a guy tomorrow that has spares from his case, so I'm saving a couple of bucks.  But I thought I'd take a look and see what they look like up close.  No expectations of finding anything because every case over the last year has come out of the back cracked with all the chase figures gone.  I pick up the figure lying face down and holy freaking **** it's an ABA Erving :o :D ;D   Naturally I bought one for $30 last week at a comic shop so  I now find one at retail, but still mighty cool as it looks like I can trade an Erving for two regs.

On the way to the gym I stop by another Zellers.  There's a box on the floor, sealed :o  I ask the customer service desk dude if I can open them and he actually phones a manager to ask.  She says go ahead and bingo! Hawks Maravich and blue Reed 8)  Very, very good day.

Still haven't seen a Jazz Maravich though.
First case was thus:
3 Erving
3 Bird
3 Chamberlain
1 Reed
1 Walton
1 Erving chase

second case:
2 Bird
3 Erving
2 Chamberlain
1 white Reed
1 blue Reed
1 Hawks Maravich
2 Walton. 

Pretty cool stuff. 8) 8)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 8, 2005, 01:43 AM »
Good stuff Brent.  Saw a couple Jazz Marovich today.