Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194176 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #1035 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Well this year is going to be busy. Not only for myself, but for a couple people that I know.

Myself

BASEBALL
Available in February
Cooperstown Series 4
Ozzie Smith - St. Louis Cardinals
Steve Carlton - Philadelphia Phillies (only if the variant is a Cardinals)

3-inch MLB Series 5
Jim Edmonds - St. Louis Cardinals

Available in July:
MLB Series 19
Albert Pujols 3 - St. Louis Cardinals

Friend in Chicago

FOOTBALL
Available in August:
NFL Legends Series 3
John Elway 2 - Denver Broncos

NFL Mini Team Set
Denver Broncos Defense
Denver Broncos Offense

Available in October:
NFL Series 16
Champ Bailey - Denver Broncos

BASEBALL
Available in February
Cooperstown Series 4
Johnny Bench - Cincinnati Reds

Co-worker's
FOOTBALL
Available in June:
3-inch NFL Series 5
Terrell Owens 2 - Dallas Cowboys

Available in August:
NFL Legends Series 3
Roger Staubach - Dallas Cowboys

NFL Mini Team Set
Dallas Cowboys Defense
Dallas Cowboys Offense

Available in September:
NFL Series 15
Tony Romo - Dallas Cowboys
Cedric Benson - Chicago Bears

Available in October:
NFL Series 16
Terrell Owens 2 - Dallas Cowboys

I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 20, 2007, 12:29 PM »
I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about hockey or the Devils, but the Giants probably have more NFL Sportspicks than any other team:

Eli Manning
Tiki Barber
Plaxico Burress
Jeremy Shockey
Michael Strahan
Lawrence Taylor

Is there another NFL team with 6 or more released so far?  Steelers maybe?  Some Legends plus Polamalu, Porter, Roethlisberger, Ward. 

I dunno, I think the Giants got a pretty fair shake so far.  I'm gonna want a Umenyiora and Brandon Jacobs though. 

Football maybe, but Hockey...not even a chance. McFarlane has done more Hockey than anything else. Considering alone he has made 8 different Gretzky's, hocky wins hands down.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 20, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I would've liked to have seen maybe ONE Giants player in this year's lineup.  Maybe an individually packaged Burress in the white uni, and perhaps with a Steelers chase. 

With regards to hockey, I'm talking about the Devils.  Sports Picks has been a major hit with hockey fans, but there's been so much of a focus on teams like the Maple Leafs, Avalance, Red Wings and Rangers to a lesser extent that a lot of other teams have been left by the wayside.  Mind you, a lot of WINNING teams.  In the history of Sports Picks, McFarlane has only produced TWO Devils players, Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur.  Okay, there have been a couple of versions of Marty and a team Canada version.  But what about everyone else on that team, like Elias, Gionta or Rafalski?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 20, 2007, 01:49 PM »
 ;) I'll take Bench to go with the RC and the glass from his resturant
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 20, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Thanks for the release list Dale.  I received My series 9 Amare regular variant and have series 10 Nash regular and variant en route.  At this point I only plan on picking my hometown Suns up to display with the backboards with some photo's I took of them in person.  I'll post a pic for you guys to check out when in a week or two.

I will say, Dominque for NBA Legends is a nice choice, hopefully he's donig a windmill dunk fully extended dunking like the Slam Dunk Championship.

It's also Nice to finally see a Gilbert Arenas piece - man has he been on fire.  One of my best friends is a teacher at Grant High School in North Hollywood, CA.  Gilbert was one of his students and he was sharing with me what a good student Gilbert was in school and that there was no real "hoopla" over him while he was in high school.  Just a fun fact for parents with kids - to share and motivate them to excel in sports and academics.

- edit / additional comments -

So much for the Suns only focus.  I won an auction for a Magic Legend and Series 2 Shaq.  I grew up in L.A. and have fond memories of the "Showtime era" and "Shaq era. 

Here's hoping Batman, I mean Worthy's legend piece has him going baseline and dunking.  That's what we called him with those huge bubble goggles he wore.

I spent some time looking at the phot archives of all the series.  Man some face sculpts are spot on and some have no resemblance whatsoever of the player.  I'm sure you guys know that...bear with someone who's just getting into this line.

And my last gripe is some of the motion captures.  Gilbert Arena's passing?  Common the guy with one of the sweetest release shots passing ???.  All in all these are really cool I'm just going to be choosy on which versions of players I get and care less about rarity / version or whatever.  I'm bidding on a Matrix variant and Vince Carter Raptor's variant.  Here's hoping I win those...     

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 11:10 PM by DaBigKahuna »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1040 on: January 21, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Nothing for me not 1 NY Jets player. You figure since they had a unexpected great year he would try and squeeze someone in. Still bitter about no Joe Namath figure.  >:(
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 21, 2007, 03:05 PM »
I picked up Legends Orr & Gretzky at WM today.  8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 26, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Found a mime and two white Perreaults the other day 8)  It appears my luck is in an up phase again.  About damn time. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 9, 2007, 09:26 AM »
MLB SERIES 18 PHOTOS
A Great Mix of Rookies and Young Guns
February 02, 2007
Copyright 2007 TMP International, Inc.
Major League Baseball has been blessed with an abundance of talented rookies and breakout young stars, and next May's MLB 18 lineup shows a healthy respect for these "young guns." Mix in a pair of unique sequel figures for two of the game's best players and you've got a dynamite lineup sure to please collectors everywhere.

Ryan Howard -- Philly's slugging first baseman never heard the term "sophomore slump." In just his second year in the big leagues, Howard made the All-Star Team, won the Home Run Derby, put the Phillies on his back, chased Roger Maris' home run mark of 61, and made himself a legitimate MVP candidate. The scary part? He's only 26.

David Ortiz 2 -- The most feared hitter in the game today is Boston DH David Ortiz. With a keen eye, power to spare and a flair for the dramatic, Ortiz is the driving force in the Red Sox lineup. With a personality to match his accomplishments, there is a nation of Ortiz fans that doesn't care beans about the Red Sox. Couple that with the dedicated Beantown faithful and you've got probably the most popular player in the Major Leagues.

Justin Verlander -- There are 100 reasons to respect Tigers rookie pitcher Justin Verlander, and every one of them is a mile-per-hour. Verlander is a big part of Detroit's Cinderella season -- he became the first rookie pitcher in baseball history to win 10 games before the end of June.

Mariano Rivera 2 -- The strains of "Enter Sandman" ring through Yankee Stadium, a door opens in the outfield wall and out walks the most dominant closer in the history of the game. Mariano Rivera has taken the mound under the brightest of spotlights for the last decade and delivered inning upon inning of brilliant relief -- breaking bats and killing dreams all along the way.

David Wright -- You might remember him for his airborne dive into the stands, or his barehanded stab in shallow left field, or his All-Star Game home run. David Wright is the new face of the very talented New York Mets -- coming soon to the playoffs near you.

Brandon Webb -- The new-look Arizona Diamondbacks stayed competitive all season in 2006 -- staying close to the N.L. West and Wild Card leaders while breaking in a new crop of rookies. Brandon Webb established himself as the ace of the staff, and delivered wins in 14 of his first 28 starts, matching his career-high in wins while turning in his best stats in ERA and WHIP as well.

With young talent like this meshing with established superstars, the future certainly looks bright for Major League Baseball, and for McFarlane's Sports Picks as well. MLB 18 is scheduled to arrive in stores in early May 2007.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 10, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Looks like a great wave, but my only 2 initial gripes are that Mariano is a lilttle too stocky (he's a skinny dude, love the ears though) and the likeness of Ryan Howard is pretty poor.

I'm a Yanks fan, but that David Ortiz is phenomenal!  Wow.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 10, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Okay Mariano looks good from all other angles though:

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 28, 2007, 01:11 PM »
MLB SERIES 19 PHOTOS
New Lineup Features Some of the Best in the Game
February 23, 2007
Copyright 2007 TMP International, Inc.
McFarlane Toys is proud to present MLB 19, an expanded lineup featuring a trio of young stars, two veteran aces, the leader of the world champions, and a salute to the home fans. Feast your eyes on the pageantry that is MLB 19:

Albert Pujols 3 -- The five-time All-Star continued his meteoric ascent in only his sixth pro season, leading the Cardinals to a World Series Championship while delivering career-highs in homers, RBI and batting average.

Jonathan Papelbon -- When injury claimed established closer Keith Foulke, Boston handed the job to rookie Jonathan Papelbon and the rest of the American League was immediately sorry. Papelbon didn't give up an earned run until his 15th appearance, and finished the season with 35 saves and a 0.92 ERA. The Red Sox plan to return him to their starting rotation in 2007, where he seems certain to become a top-flight starter for many years to come.

Johnny Damon 2 -- Johnny Damon only needed a plane ticket and a visit to a barbershop to arrive as the new center fielder for the New York Yankees. Damon handled the pressure of the Big Apple just fine, delivering steady defense and a strong leadoff presence while setting a career high for home runs in his first pinstriped season.

Scott Kazmir -- The Devil Rays have flown pretty much under the radar since their debut in 1998, but young fireballer Scott Kazmir has people taking notice. In just his second season, Kazmir delivered 10 wins for last-place Tampa while striking out 168 batters in just 145 innings. The future is bright for Kazmir -- I bet the Mets wish they hadn't traded him for Victor Zambrano...

Pedro Martinez 2 -- One of the finest pitchers of his generation, Pedro Martinez has garnered three Cy Young awards and 206 victories in his (almost assuredly) Hall of Fame career. After lifting a curse in Boston, Pedro moved on to the Mets where he hopes to deliver their first title in 21 years. Shoulder and calf injuries sidelined Pedro at the end of the 2006 season, but he'll be a big part of the Mets playoff push in 2007.

Prince Fielder -- Those who saw it won't soon forget. In the sixth inning of the Mets/Brewers game on Friday, May 12, Jose Lima lofted a not-so-fastball over the heart of the plate and rookie first baseman Prince Fielder absolutely annihilated it. His massive swing wrapped both arms around his head, and his eyes were just barely visible over his thick shoulder as the abused baseball screamed over the wall and ricocheted off the Road Runner banner some 473 feet away. It was a moonshot that his father (longtime Detroit slugger Cecil Fielder) would have been proud of. Fielder finished the season with 28 homers and 81 RBI and is one of many reasons Milwaukee is excited for the 2007 season.

Andy Pettitte -- The left-handed ace made his mark as a member of four championship teams in New York, pitching nine years in the Bronx before signing with the Astros after the 2003 season. After three years with Houston, Pettitte opted to return to the Yankees, signing a free-agent contract late last December.

MLB 19 is scheduled to arrive on shelves in early July.

We've also made a change to the base for our upcoming Mariano Rivera 2 figure in the MLB 18 lineup. The elaborate bullpen door base has proven to be too expensive to mass produce at our standard 6-inch Sports Picks price point. To fit within our cost parameters, the base will be scaled down and released as part of the wall. The new Mariano Rivera 2 figure will now look something like this:

Todd was disappointed the entire wall couldn't fit within our cost structure, and he considered several options. He didn't want to pull the figure, or put it on an entirely grass outfield base. He felt that offering the full base as a Collector's Edition figure would be cheesy - almost like a bait-and-switch. In the end, he chose to sign off on the figure with the smaller base, but only if we made the full base version in the lineup as a chase figure.

I like that they did the Fielder piece in the old school Brewers outfit, but saddened now that I have to find a Rivera piece with the FULL set up. It is just a cool look.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 3, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Cooperstown 4 chases so far:

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 5, 2007, 07:14 AM »
Cooperstown 4 chases so far:

I would have prefered a Steve Carlton in Cardinals rather than Roger Maris.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 6, 2007, 12:53 AM »
Superchase of Coop4.  Gold glove Ozzie.