Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 193397 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #195 on: April 6, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Nick, can you please add your comments regarding what you've read about Jordan?  I'm not sure how clear my memory is, but I seem to recall reading in that poll that Jordan was a troublesome piece.  

As far as hockey Legends go, absolutely, the lockout is a go and will be long.  Easily a season as the owners are (as they claim) losing money, so losing money this way is probably just as easy to write off tax-wise.  The players are (not surprisingly) egotistical and as arrogant as the owners.  Great mix :-\  I would not be surprised to see McFarlane churn out three series over the winter.  Two series for certain, possibly a third, depending on what they see.  Canada being the wacky market for a third series?  Not sure how that would work, but given they still seem to have a hard time with US retailers picking up hockey out of season.  Wonder if they'll even go in for the Legends line without hockey actively ongoing in the NHL?

I just need my Bobby Orr figure.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 6, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I haven't heard anything specifically about a Jordan figure.  However, the party line from McFarlane about a lot of retired superstar players has been something like this:  It's a licensing issue, and each license needs to be individually negotiated on a player by player basis.  Some players will want more money than others, and some will want so much money that it would make the licensing prohibitively expensive.

I believe this to be the case with Jordan, and it may be a problem with other superstar athletes down the line.  So, if you don't wind up getting a Joe Montana or John Elway or Cal Ripken Jr, it could be all about the individual player or their representation being too greedy.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2004, 10:44 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2004, 09:03 AM »
okay, i read today that mcf has a cooperstown collection coming out, which i think is great. one problem... nolan ryan, texas rangers? where's my old school astros uniform? wait, let me guess... chase figure, 1 every 6000 cases. damn you todd.

cooperstown collection

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2004, 09:35 AM »
I was looking through an old Toy Fare this weekend and saw the Nolan Ryan which was made in 2001 I think for Toy Fair.  Never distributed though, there is also a Jose Canseco in 2002.  I'd buy that one...

AGreed that they need to make a day glow Astros Nolan ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2004, 09:44 AM »
There's been no secret about the Ryan and Canseco figures.  McFarlane showed the Ryan off as one of the first pieces that was sculpted for this line.  The holdup was because of Ryans retirement, and he wasn't covered in McFarlane's agreement with MLBPA.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2004, 09:53 AM »
Did I hear recently that Bonds in no longer part of the Players Association?

So how exactly are they handling these Cooperstown players?  Individual contracts with each person, while McFarlane has a license to use MLB's Team jerseys and logos???

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Yes, Bonds is no longer covered by the CBA with regards to merchandising.  His personal representatives now negotiate his merchandising on a case by case basis.

As for the Cooperstown series, you nailed it right on the head.  McFarlane had to negotiate the player likeness rights with the players themselves.  Then, I believe the existing deal they have with MLB lets them reproduce the uniforms.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2004, 12:00 PM »
Series 8 NFL Carded Pics

That Ahman Green looks amazing!

http://www.leestoyreview.com/news-detail.asp?ID=1058

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2004, 12:15 PM »
Very nice....I have never bought any of these figures, but might have to pick up Ahman Green if I find him (my all time favorite Husker).  Although he might be tough to find in Lincoln, Nebraska :P.  On another sportspicks note, I have been trying (via ebay) to find a Garnett sportspicks (from Series 1 I believe), and there doesn't seem to be many out there for sale, unless I just don't know how to search for them.  I always liked that figure, and it doesn't really matter to me if it is the "common" or "variant" version, but I usually can't even find the common one online.  I am "watching" one auction I found yesterday, we'll see how high it goes.  How much do these retail for (stupid question probably)?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2004, 12:23 PM »
Looks like they are selling between $14-$21...Brent or Nick might be able to hook you up with one (if they are still active at Spawn.com that is)

Most I'd bid would be around $16, there will be plenty to go around

And, there is a new KG coming out November as part of Series 7, no pics yet though

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2004, 12:26 PM »
Thanks Scott, I really appreciate it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. I heard there is one coming in Nov. as well, hopefully that will be a good one too.  I always kind of liked the "pose" of the first one released, and it would be nice to have both (or any Twolves that get released in the future...need a Spree...or a Mark Madsen :D...hee hee).  Anyways, thanks again.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2004, 12:31 PM »
Mad Dog in Sportspick glory, that would be keen ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2004, 12:40 PM »
Do NOT pay above retail for a regular of Garnett from series 1.  Basketball is death with nothing outside of a few figures generating much interest.  Variants of LeBron James, Carmello Anthony and the blue Finley that isn't supposed to exist generate decent returns (absurd for the Finley, I think one sold for close to $1000 yesterday).  Otherwise they are pretty easy to get. I'm fairly certain I can find you a Garnett from series 1 for cost and shipping if you really want it (about $15-16).  They shouldn't be very tough, in spite of the MVP award.  

I've completely negelected to post any of the pics that have come up lately and for that I'm sorry.  Sadly I don't pay much attention to anything other than hockey sportspicks as we don't get them much here.  There is some cool football stuff to be had for sure and I'm looking forward to the new Culpepper and Moss.  I traded away my loose Moss, so I need a new purple Moss.  Didn't see any point in chasing an old one with a new one coming down the pipe.  

I'll have to look at the lineups for the football series, but I somehow think my days of ordering cases are over.  Too much money and these things are now completely mass produced.  I may order one, if a series looks particularly good, but I doubt it.  

Scott, will you be wanting regs and chase/variants of Moss and Culpepper?  Trying to plan ahead ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I have a Purple Set now, thinking of picking up White Moss and Pepper...I'm guessing they like last time won't have the same jerseys though so one will be a variant

Also hoping KG is Blue because I have the Regular Home White Series 1 Version

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51 PM »
I think it's not unreasonable to assume that they'll reverse the colors on KG this time around.  Not so sure about Moss/Culpepper though.  The regulars for both Vick figures were white jerseys, black being the first variant and red being the second.  Do the Vikes have a third jersey, I don't recall seeing one?  

They'll be popular around these parts, but they both come out after the hockey Legends series and if I continue (knock on wood) to have similar luck with hockey as I've had for the past two years, I should have decent trade bait and be able to pick them up reasonably easily anyway.  

I have to wait and see the sculpts on the Twin Vikings ::) as I may or may not pick up another Culpepper.  I have both white and purple right now anyway.  I need both Moss figs to complete the Vikings.  

Still wishing they would have made an Onterrio Smith fig.