Author Topic: McFarlane Sportspicks  (Read 194313 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: McFarlane Sportspicks
« Reply #330 on: September 2, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Very awesome!  It's nice to see the D getting represented in Sports Picks.

And it doens't look like it'll be too difficult to track down either.  There are about 10 'Phins Seaus on ebay right now. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 3, 2004, 10:34 PM »
Well, scored my Dolphins Seau today.  My buddy collects and luckily he works at TRU so he alerts me when cases come in and we just take the players we want (obviously he gets first dibs.)  The Dolphins Seau they got was an opener, so that was mine, but then on the way home from TRU I stumbled upon a Game Stop that I didn't know existed and there was a fresh case sitting on the counter.  I got a blue Urlacher chase, white Holmes chase and momc Dolphins Seau for my buddy.  So far Ogden is the tough one to track down.  Only 1 in each case I've seen.  No chases have appeared either. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 3, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Hmm, your good fortune is my bad luck.  Retailer up here called Zellers is carrying these things now.  Managed to luck into a couple of NFL8 variants (we're behind by about a month).  Funny thing was, I knew these guys were getting them in because other stores in the area have as well.  Checked last night, nada out.  Checked today, picked up two.  Great right?  Well, except they had four cases of stock out (I counted) and the number could only represent four cases.  Since I was literally the last shopper out the night before and first in in the morning, stock guys are scamming these. 

I'd suspected as much, same thing happened with NHL8.  Precisely zero variants.  Then tonight, after the movie we stopped at another Zellers, right by our house.  Stock guys were putting out the pallets, I saw the magic blue tape, but guess what?  One case of football, one case of baseball, both ripped open, on the pallet, variants gone.  And no, no one beat me to them, I saw the blue tape while the guy was still pulling the pallet to where he left it and I checked it. 

It's pissy, cuz I'm not on the inside, but I really don't think it's a good practice for stores to allow.  Mind you everyone does it, or so it seems.  Oh well, enough bitching. 

Need a white Culpepper. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 4, 2004, 03:58 AM »
Hmm, your good fortune is my bad luck.  Retailer up here called Zellers is carrying these things now.  Managed to luck into a couple of NFL8 variants (we're behind by about a month).  Funny thing was, I knew these guys were getting them in because other stores in the area have as well.  Checked last night, nada out.  Checked today, picked up two.  Great right?  Well, except they had four cases of stock out (I counted) and the number could only represent four cases.  Since I was literally the last shopper out the night before and first in in the morning, stock guys are scamming these. 

I'd suspected as much, same thing happened with NHL8.  Precisely zero variants.  Then tonight, after the movie we stopped at another Zellers, right by our house.  Stock guys were putting out the pallets, I saw the magic blue tape, but guess what?  One case of football, one case of baseball, both ripped open, on the pallet, variants gone.  And no, no one beat me to them, I saw the blue tape while the guy was still pulling the pallet to where he left it and I checked it. 

It's pissy, cuz I'm not on the inside, but I really don't think it's a good practice for stores to allow.  Mind you everyone does it, or so it seems.  Oh well, enough bitching. 

Need a white Culpepper. :-\

With this hobby, and probably many others, you have to be on the inside somehow.  I made good friends with a dealer at our local toy show here as well as making some damn good friends via the Spawn Sports Board and because of those friends I never have to waste gas going from store to store.  We all look out for each other and hook each other up.  It has made this hobby a hundred times more enjoyable for me.  My buddy at TRU knows that I only collect certain players in which ever uniform I think looks better and he keeps his eye out for those, but of course he gets first dibs on stuff we both want.  Going into that Game Stop today was just dumb luck.  I didn't know the place was there and figured it couldn't hurt to check.  Sure enough, the guy had just finished putting the price tags on them.  I was glad that I scored a MOMC Seau so that my buddy could have one since he's not an opener like me and the Seau he got in the TRU cases was beat up. 

Let me know if you have anything for trade (shoot me an email or PM) cause my buddy Jacob found a white Culpepper today and he's gonna trade it.  Maybe you guys can work something out.  I'm trying to trade my white Holmes for an Astros Ryan right now.  Haven't had any luck scoring that fig yet. 
« Last Edit: September 4, 2004, 03:59 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 4, 2004, 02:21 PM »
I don't really agree with having someone "inside".  The buzz has subsided somewhat on Sports Picks, and through patience and trading (big props to Nataku & Morgbug here), I've managed to complete my chase collection for NFL8.  Now I only have to get regular versions of Holt and Brown.  In fact, the most I've paid is cost plus shipping recently.  Heck, I've even been passing up on variants I already have when I see them.

I've encountered the same thing with the Cooperstown series.  I do a little legwork, and a little trading, and I've got all the pieces I want.  I'm only missing Robinson at this point, but that's a minor point.  And once again, I've only paid retail cost in this instance.

I think having a good trading network is definitely a lot more valuable than an "inside".  I'll slowly but surely pick up all of NFL 9.  It'll take a little while, but I'm pretty confident that I'll have the entire series variants by the time NFL10 comes out.  This is after seriously considering buying a whole case from Killertoys and then deciding not to.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 4, 2004, 06:13 PM »
I don't really agree with having someone "inside".  The buzz has subsided somewhat on Sports Picks, and through patience and trading (big props to Nataku & Morgbug here), I've managed to complete my chase collection for NFL8.  Now I only have to get regular versions of Holt and Brown.  In fact, the most I've paid is cost plus shipping recently.  Heck, I've even been passing up on variants I already have when I see them.

I've encountered the same thing with the Cooperstown series.  I do a little legwork, and a little trading, and I've got all the pieces I want.  I'm only missing Robinson at this point, but that's a minor point.  And once again, I've only paid retail cost in this instance.

I think having a good trading network is definitely a lot more valuable than an "inside".  I'll slowly but surely pick up all of NFL 9.  It'll take a little while, but I'm pretty confident that I'll have the entire series variants by the time NFL10 comes out.  This is after seriously considering buying a whole case from Killertoys and then deciding not to.

I agree about a great trading network.  I guess it just depends on what kind of trading friends you're able to make and if you are able to find anything worth trading in the first place.  Trading isn't easy sometimes because people are just downright difficult sometimes.  My "inside" connection happens to be part of my trading circle. 

One thing that I would argue is that the buzz hasn't necessarily subsided, but that production has increased on chase pieces.  Most of the guys, including myself, who have found NFL 9 out here in So Cal are finding 2-3 chase pieces a case.  Back when there were 1 and sometimes 0 chase pieces, that's when it was a royal pain in the ass.  Increasing the chance for chase figs has brought the prices down on them.  If you look on the B/S/T board at Spawn, it seems like everyone has NFL 8 and Cooperstown chases to trade.  I won't have to worry about NHL Legends either because of all my friends here (the Kings Gretzkys are gonna get gobbled up quick out here.)  Now that I know you guys all collect, I can keep my eyes peeled for any of your needs.  If you're on the Spawn Board, drop me a PM with your name and email addy.  I've traded w/ Morgbug in the past (he's on my good traders list.)
« Last Edit: September 4, 2004, 06:14 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 4, 2004, 07:54 PM »
I expect to have lots of Legends as well.  I do have some connections and we see a lot more hockey than football, so those tend to have good odds. 

I've got so much crap to unload, having gone from completeist, to goalies complete and players I like, to only players I like.  Even with NFL8 I'm sitting on a Jamal Lewis, Tim Brown and a McNair variant.  I may keep McNair, just for ***** and giggles, since he's my starting QB for fantasy football here.  Wonder how many of my players have SP figs?  Lets see:

Tomlinson - yes
McNair - yes
Crumpler - no
Walker - no
Martin - yes
Smith - don't think so
Akers - no
Leftwich - no
Stallworth - no
Gannon - yes
McCardell - no

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 4, 2004, 08:07 PM »
I expect to have lots of Legends as well.  I do have some connections and we see a lot more hockey than football, so those tend to have good odds. 

I've got so much crap to unload, having gone from completeist, to goalies complete and players I like, to only players I like.  Even with NFL8 I'm sitting on a Jamal Lewis, Tim Brown and a McNair variant.  I may keep McNair, just for ***** and giggles, since he's my starting QB for fantasy football here.  Wonder how many of my players have SP figs?  Lets see:

Tomlinson - yes
McNair - yes
Crumpler - no
Walker - no
Martin - yes
Smith - don't think so
Akers - no
Leftwich - no
Stallworth - no
Gannon - yes
McCardell - no

If your Brown has no towel and no mouthpiece, you'll have no trouble unloading it.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 4, 2004, 08:35 PM »
I'll have to check.  It's in the trunk and the wife took the car out, so I'm in suspense right now :D

I've got a good friend that doesn't collect these, but he's a huge Raiders fan, so he may end up with it.  Unless of course he's an error piece.  ;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 5, 2004, 12:51 AM »
Okay, so now I got thinking about who I have on my JD FFL team that have Sports Picks.  Here goes:

QB, Marc Bulger    (STL) - NOPE
QB, Joey Harrington (DET) - YES
WR, Randy Moss    (MIN) - YES - 2 x 6"(one of which is from the no-helmet period) and 1 x 12"
WR, Reggie Wayne    (IND) - NOPE
WR, Roy Williams    (DET) - NOPE (rookie)
WR, Ike Hilliard    (NYG) - NOPE
WR, Johnnie Morton  (KCC) - NOPE
RB, Marshall Faulk    (STL) - YES - 2 x 6" (one from the no-helmet era & one retro Colts)
RB, Quentin Griffin    (DEN) - NOPE
RB, Mike Alstott    (TB) - YES
RB, Musa Smith   (BAL) - NOPE
TE, Todd Heap    (BAL) - NOPE
TE, Daniel Graham    (NE) - NOPE
K, Adam Vinatieri    (NE) - ON THE WAY!  The first Kicker ever in Sports Picks

Only 5 SP worthy players?  I might be in trouble.

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 5, 2004, 02:49 PM »
When guys do well on my fantasy teams, it makes me a fan of that player and usually I'll go buy his SP (if he has one.)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 5, 2004, 11:26 PM »
Sadly towel and mouthpiece both there :(

I have, if anyone needs:
white Brown
white McNair
white Lewis

all on trilogo cards.  Tell your friends.  I have no huge attachment to Brown or Lewis, McNair I may keep.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 6, 2004, 12:24 PM »
I'd be interested in the white Brown.  PM me a price.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2004, 04:38 PM »
NFL 9 is hitting all over the place.  And now, I can't a Jonathon Ogden to save my life.  I hear he's huge, too!

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2004, 10:44 PM »
WOOHOO!  Found blue pants Urlacher, 'Fins Seau & white jersey Culpepper tonight.  SCORE!

Feedback