Author Topic: 30AC "Capture of Tantive IV" Battle Pack  (Read 51739 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: "The Capture of Tantive IV" Battle Pack
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2006, 06:51 PM »
If it's got two VOTC Stormtroopers in it AND two RFTs (although they suck) with new heads, I'm definitely down for this set.

If it's got two CommTech Stormies and two RFTs (even if they have new heads), I'm out. 

VOTC Stormtroopers = Main Selling Point for This Set.  Now, if we could just get Hasbro to release the ******* thing on a card in the basic figure line, we'd be set.

(And don't give me that "But a removable helmet one is coming!" because it doesn't count)  :P

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2006, 08:56 PM »
VOTC Stormtroopers = Main Selling Point for This Set.  Now, if we could just get Hasbro to release the ******* thing on a card in the basic figure line, we'd be set.

(And don't give me that "But a removable helmet one is coming!" because it doesn't count)  :P

Why doesn't it count?

I read a similar comment from someone over at RS, and I just don't get it.  How is the original one better than, or preferable to, one with a removable helmet?

(And don't give me that "It's Jango underneath, and Jango sucks!" because I already agree, and two, if you don't like the head underneath, you can just leave the helmet on until the end of time.)

I asked the same question in the dedicated Stormtrooper thread, and the only answer I got was from someone concerned that the helmets might warp like they did in his Evolutions set.

So, besides that and Jango, what's not to like about the new one?  Or is that it?  What's up, Doc?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:12 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Kind of a neat set by looking at the pics.  If the Stormies are the VOTC versions, I'll definitely pick this one up - maybe a couple (if they can be found).

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I hope that there are two different head scuplts between the to RFT's. They have three to choose from.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Boxed pictures just showed up on scum. My initial reaction - WTF? ???

Dirty Stormtroopers? Sandtroopers minus sand gear? Looks like the belt is from the Evo Sandtrooper. I'm confused and very scared.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2006, 02:20 PM »
*shrugs*

A mock-up package perhaps?  However the Evo Sandtrooper is...  interesting.  The Evolutions Sandie is 100% its own sculpt, and that may be the Sandtrooper we're getting then and not VOTC Stormies...  I dunno.  I'm not guessing one way or the other, but if that's what you get, I think I can pass...  Unless I can find someone to buy a ****load of ****** Rebel Fleet Troopers?

I'd love more Sandtroopers if they're cheap enough, why not?  But 3 figures I don't want?

And no Hasbro...  once again, that RFT isn't "decent".  It wasn't decent when it came out, it's riddled with little **** flaws that make it one big flaw, and it is a dated, crappy figure.

As of now, I'm a big pass on this set, happily.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:08 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2006, 04:14 PM »
God, me too if they keep those ****** (literally) paint ops on the stormies.  How disappointing.

Boxed images are pretty spot on (at least historically) in regards to what we end up getting on the shelves.

I smell disaster.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:18 PM by ruiner »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Yeah, if the sets go to retail with those sort of paint aps - what the heck?  I don't remember dirty Stormtrooper storming the Tantive, in fact I think they were pretty shiny new :).

Offline Dark Empire Luke

• Youngling
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Repacks of the Evo Sandtrooper and a retool with Captain Antilles Head an helmet on RFT body, from the looks of it. I'll get it regardless, since I never found the RFTs at retail, though I REALLY hope they change the paint apps on the Stormies....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 04:44 PM by Dark Empire Luke »

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I was expecting clean Stormies. Pass on it now.
I remember my dream now.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2006, 05:02 PM »
And I was expecting the new VOTC stormie with revised (more proportionate) helmet.  Funny how the back of the box kicks ass but the product inside the box sucks ass.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:07 PM by ruiner »

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2006, 05:41 PM »
The dirty Stormies also seem to be missing their little frowns.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2006, 05:59 PM »
If they aren't VOTC, I'm out.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2006, 06:21 PM »
As far as the Stormtrooper sculpt goes... anything newer than 2000 is good by me. Imagine the horror if we got the '95-'96 monoloid sculpts. **Shudder**
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2006, 06:53 PM »
So, besides that and Jango, what's not to like about the new one?  Or is that it?  What's up, Doc?

Believe it or not, I'm one of those people who doesn't really have a problem with Jango Fett and/or his head being underneath all the helmets.  I'm just continually baffled by how Hasbro consistently refuses to reissue the VOTC Stormtrooper despite seemingly rampant demand. 

I guess my real problem with the Stormtrooper having a removable helmet isn't so much with the concept itself but with the execution.  Hasbro has unfortunately been using that horrid rubber on the helmets lately (with the exception of Cody and Leia Boussh this year), and the rubber tends to warp when you leave it on the characters' heads.  I noticed this with the Evolutions Clones from AOTC, and the Clone Lt. based on that mold from the new Tin set seems to have the same problem lying in his future.  Sadly, the Sandtrooper helmet is made from that same material instead of the sturdier material of the Cody/Boussh helmets, so I'm afraid that any future releases of a RH Stormtrooper (particularly one in a Battle Pack which Hasbro has essentially said they don't even try on) will use this subpar plastic/rubber as a substitute for a sturdier material.

So yeah, as usual, my gripes have more to do with poor execution than a poor concept.  If the Sandtrooper body thing is true, complete with dirt and grime, then this has disaster and shelfwarmer written all over it.

I mean, really, didn't Scruffy get paid to clean the halls of the Tantive IV?  Or was he too busy looking at "Zero-G Juggs" to clean up that day? :)