Author Topic: Monstermonkey's customs- 11/1 update  (Read 15991 times)

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
Monstermonkey's customs- 11/1 update
« on: July 6, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Hey guys...I've been admiring the customs on here for a while, figured it was about time I posted some of mine. A little background first-

I think I first started customizing back when I was a kid, I remember doing a few head swaps and paint changes (with that damn testors model paint that never dried- I didn't find out about acrylics until a few years later). I had such elaborate customs like "Leia Bespin's head on a Cloud Car Pilot's body" and "Han's head on the extra Gen. Madine with camo sleeves".;D  Unfortunately, these no longer exist. I really got into doing customs the right way around my big SW resurgence of '92. I did the usual- Tarkin, Rebel Trooper, Cantina Band Member- all the guys I wanted as a kid but were never made. I stuck to vintage style (I figured why waste time/money/figures on a POTF2 style custom when Hasbro will probably do one much better than mine?). This customizing kick lasted until '98 when time and space became limited. I just started up again last year, concentrating on obscure characters and original designs. I also try to take some existing figures and fixing them up to look more movie accurate.

Here's the first batch- I have about 30-50 more that I still have to take pics of, and many more on the "to-do" list. 

Bith Rebel:

I got the idea for this guy from the little Minatures figure seen in the pic. I don't play the game but saw him for a buck in a comic store and thought he looked cool and would make a nice full size figure.

Ugnaught:

I had a few Ugnaught 2 packs so I created this guy for a little variety. Just a repaint and parts swap.

The Rat-faced Imperial Officer from the beginning of SW:

Does this guy have a name? I think the decipher card game called him "Dain Jir"....but that's just silly.

Naggatoo (Space Pirate/Smuggler/Fan Fic character of mine):

I've been working on a back story for this guy and several other customs, I might even try to do a photonovel.

I'll try to update with more later on. Comments, critiques and hate mail are welcome. Hope you like them, thanks for looking!
Mike
« Last Edit: November 1, 2006, 11:33 AM by monstermonkey »

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Those are some nice customs, monstetrmonkey! I particularly like the Bith Rebel! Question though,where did his head come from??

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! The head came from the new Bith Bandmember Bust-Up, with the neck peg trimmed down a bit. The torso and arms are from Feltipern Trevagg, the gloves are from the POTF2 Garindan, and the legs are from the POTF2 Lando Bespin.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Wow, great work!  That Bith Rebel is one of the coolest customs I've seen.  I'd buy this in mass quantity if it were at retail.

Excellent customs on all of these and thanks for sharing them with us!

:)

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Wow very cool customs! I can't wait to see more of your work! The paint jobs look very clean and nice. The Bith looks just like his miniature counterpart  ;D Also love Naggatoo. Thanks for sharing and please get pics of some more of your customs :)

EDIT: Oh yea and welcome to JD
« Last Edit: July 6, 2006, 04:20 PM by CommanderKorbra »
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2006, 04:27 PM »
Fantastic work. I like your style.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Excellent customs, with very original choice of colour for the suits of those alien characters.

30 - 50 you say?  :o! Let's see 'em!  :)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 6, 2006, 08:09 PM »
Welcome, but monkey come on bro 30-50 customs.  and you only post 4 of 'em please post more ;D, by the way they look really great but for god's sake give that Imp officer some sideburns he looks naked with out them.  look forward to more.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 7, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Wow ;D! Thanks for the compliments, espcially from you other customizers. I'm a big fan of your work, too!
I'm still experimenting with lighting and backgrounds for photos (photography has always been my weak point) so hopefully I can get some good qualities pics up soon.
Here's a few more:

Hooda Badoolah

This guy is the bartender for a fanfic cantina diorama I'm working on. He's got a Burger King Kid's Meal Small Soldiers head (those big, loose-figure-for-$1 bins at the flea markets hold some real gems!) on an Ask Aak body, the boots are from some old unknown fantasy figure from the '80s.

Cro Shempus

Basically a repainted Evil Ash from Palisades with POTF2 Han Endor jacket. I'm figuring he's a bounty hunter with questionable ethics.

AC- Triple Six

This re-wired for action Protocol Droid is part of Naggatoo's smuggler crew. He's a SAGA2 3PO/Battle Droid body, gun and backpack with an 8D8 head. He's actually painted with a metallic black, with lots of wear, but the lighting in the pic washed it out  :( I'll try to take better ones!

Unnamed Smuggler

Still working on a backstory for this guy. He's a ROTS Saesee Tiin head and neck post on a Dash Rendar body, with a POTF2 Tie Pilot rifle (finally found a use for those monstrosities), old GI Joe backpack, and goggles from a BBI figure.

More to come!
Mike

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Wow, I was just skimming through these, and I have to say, the use of such non articulated pieces, and getting great results like this is amazing. What Paints are you using, the look very professional? Can't wait to see more.

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Thanks Smartypants! I try to give my customs as much articulation as I can, so I boil and pop, dremel out, cut, and add "pins" (for things like swivel wrists).

As for paints, I just use the regular craft store acrylics like Anita's and Deltacoat (I think that's the name)....for about $0.75 a bottle, you can pretty much get every color imaginable. I also use brushes of all sizes. I've always meant to get an airbrush, but never got around to it. I've done so many garage kits and customs with this method that I might as well stick to it now.
I usually seal them with Testor's Dull Coat, but recently used a Krylon matte sealer, which made some figures (actually, some parts of some figures) a little tacky....but I'm thinking its because I sprayed it on a rather humid day.  I'll re-seal them when its more mild out.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2006, 02:10 PM »
AC- Triple Six is my favorite of this bunch, the eyes look outstanding!

:)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #12 on: July 7, 2006, 02:42 PM »

As for paints, I just use the regular craft store acrylics like Anita's and Deltacoat (I think that's the name)....for about $0.75 a bottle, you can pretty much get every color imaginable.

LOL I used those once on my customs, and they couldn't take the beating my brother gave them. I Use Tamiya, but all of my customs have been darker colors, I may just have to get into lighter colors. :P

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #13 on: July 7, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Wauw! Some inpressive and very sharp customs! I love the parts choice and paint app, the look very professional!
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
« Reply #14 on: July 7, 2006, 06:06 PM »
i really like cro...there is something utapauan about him...that i really like lol
in the words of a famous admiral......

ITS A TWAP!!!