Author Topic: Monstermonkey's customs- 11/1 update  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Outrider

• Jedi Initiate
  • IMPS RULE
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs
« Reply #15 on: July 7, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Outstanding work!  Your figures have a fresh and unique feel and its very nice stuff!
NOTE TO HASBRO,
SA JANGO would sell quite well!

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 8, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Great looking stuff. Your fan Fic customs are very imaginative. You've also got a knack for taking parts from different lines and putting them together seemlessly. Which is obvious in Hooda Badoolah. I'd have to say that the
Bith Rebel is my favorite of the lot. I've always liked that mini, but I've never gotten around to making a 4" custom of my own. Yours looks factory. Great work!

Welcome to the fold.
Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
  • What is this... "llama" you speak of?
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs (updated 7/13- Jabba's goons!)
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys. Its great to hear, especially from some of you who's customs I've gawked over for a long time. Here's some more:

Yoxgit

Ugnaught head on a Zutton body, repainted a brighter red. The head didn't fit too well so I had to trim his collar.

Yak Face

That's right, its Yak Face, not Salt Marie or whatever that garbage is. Joe Camel here is repainted to look more like the vintage figure, and I THINK is more movie accurate (the smokey sail barge is kind of hard to see in).  Either way, the pastels of the POTF2 figure had to go. I also trimmed his coat.

Barada- Skiff Guard

I had an extra Barada lying around so I repainted him to match the one with red pants on the skiff. I also added some swivel joints to his wrists.

Geezum

I like this guy. He's so goofy looking. I just popped a Zutton head on a repainted Barada body. I really like doing the obscure background characters. He'll go great in my Jabba's Palace dio...whenever that's built.

Gailid

So, I did this custom after seeing a pic of him in Starwars.com photo archive thing. I did some research on wookieepedia and find out he was a tax collector....wow, that's not very exciting. Anyway, he's got a EU Cloud Car Pilot head (with some sculpey hair) on a Ellors Maddok body. The hip holster came from a 21 Cent. WWII figure.

More to come!!

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Really good paint work there, Monstermonkey! My favourite of this bunch has to be Yak Face. What fresh and vintage like colours! Painting his facial hair white really makes him complete. Very good.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Love the Yakface too. Also like that Geezum guy. Nice work.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs updated 7/14- Cantina patrons
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the compliments! Here's some pics of various cantina patrons. I'm hoping to have every single character who was in the cantina (between Hasbro and my own customs :o). Its a big task but I think I'm getting there.

Baniss Keeg

I've seen quite a few customs of this guy, he's pretty simple to do. Ellors head on a Tatooine Luke (the one with the mini T-16) body. Nothing too original, but he's a must have for a cantina diorama.

Arliel Schous- Defel

Being a big horror/monster fan, I've always loved the wolf men in the cantina. Its a shame they got the cut in the SE, despite Lucas thinking they looked too "halloween mask"-like, they still looked cooler than that elephant rasta guy.
He was made from a Lak Sivrak head and hands on a Ponda Baba body.

Cantina Guy

Another custom that many others have done, its the Cantina Guy. Has he ever been named or given a backstory? Everyone else has! He's made from a Bossk body, POTF2 Luke head, POTF2 Stormtrooper forearms, and some random figure's boots. The helmet is a dremmled out old Adventure People Race Car Driver head- this proves I'M OLD if I actually had/played with Adventure People.

More pics to come!
Mike

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs- updated 7/14
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Mike, I love all your Cantina Aliens.  Keep 'em coming. 

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Haha, Baniss Keeg is awesome. Great fur detail on Arliel Schous- Defel too. The Catina guy looks great - just like I remember him from the movie. Thanks for updating and please do mit again soon :)
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Thanks again, guys. Here's one more before the weekend:

Trandoshan Bodyguard/merchant (from the Outlander comic, #1)

This is just a repainted Bossk with a little holster added on his leg, but the character from the comic just looked cool. He lasted like 2 pages, then got capped in the head.
See you all Monday!
Mike

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Monstermonkey's customs- updated 7/18
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Here's a bunch of customs from ANH:

Col.Wulf Yularen

He's been done alot, I know....but it was a quick and easy custom for a background character. Bascially a repainted POTF2 Tarkin with some sculpey hair and 'stache.

RA-7 (Sandcrawler Droid)

I was unhappy with the paint scheme Hasbro gave the Sandcrawler pack-in. It seemed too flat and not silver enough. Looking at the pics in the Visual Dictionary, I noticed he had a bit of silver/chrome on him, but was really worn out. I wound up doing a few washes of silver paint over him, then a wash of black to fill in the cracks and lines. He looks alot better than in these pics, actually...the light from the flash kinda washed him out.

Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, victims of Imperial Interrogation

As gruesome as it is, I've been waiting to do these for a long time. When Palisades did their Army of Darkness line, these former Deadites were screaming to become crispy Owen and Beru. I stripped them of their gear and repainted them in more realistic burnt flesh colors.

Commander Evram Lajaie- Yavin 4 Rebel Base

Another easy custom background character. He's made from a slightly repainted Jan Dodonna body with a ROTS Tarkin head and ROTS Mon Mothma neckpost.

Lemme know what you think! Thanks,
Mike

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Yeah, making pictures with flash often hides neat details and colour from the eye to see. Still, that Sandcrawler droid does look cool, despite of the flash! And Col. Yularen looks very nice as well. He's the guy at the round table on the first Death Star right?

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Nice Update.

I really like the look of your work. In paticular the Defel. That one really appeals to me asteticly. The Paint aps on Crispy Owen and Beru are fantastic. You've also done a great job on RA-7, giving him that tarnished metal look.

Great Work keep it up!
Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 08:01 PM »
Great customs, I have a lot to catch up on.  I really like the vintage style Yakface, I've been wanting to make one of those for a few months now.  Very well done!

:)

Offline monstermonkey

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:59 PM »
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

IncomT65- Yep, Wulf is one of those background Imperials on the 1st Death Star. I always liked the way he looked, he really stood out with that white tunic and mustache.

Chewie- The vintage style Yak was actually the first "modern" custom I did after getting back in customizing. I figured I'd start off simple by doing a repaint.

Actually, I have some questions for everyone:

How do you feel when you spend the time/effort/money/blood on a custom, only to have Hasbro make it themselves? I personally hate when that happens, that's why I've tried to stick to obscure characters, more realistic repaints, and original creations. Granted, I've seen some custom figures that put Hasbro's to shame, but does it bug you? And, do you just keep your own figure or buy the "real" one? Lemme know!
Mike

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
Re: Monstermonkey's customs- 7/20: QUESTION FOR CUSTOMIZERS!
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 01:24 PM »
thats never actually happened to me becasue most of my customs are fanfic...but if it did id just keep my own...and if hasbro's was better than mine (which is likely) id just change mine some more until it was better
in the words of a famous admiral......

ITS A TWAP!!!