Author Topic: Movies in the Theatre: Multiple Viewings?  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Movies in the Theatre: Multiple Viewings?
« on: June 7, 2006, 02:42 PM »
I was curious how many of you see a movie more than once in the theatre.  Of course, the Star Wars movies themselves are known to be "multiple viewing" type movies, and probably many of us have done that.  Have any of you gone to see other movies more than once, several times, or more?  Although I have wanted to on some occasions, usually I don't see a movie more than once - because the Mrs. usually doesn't like to go more than once.  Plus, in today's day and age the DVDs usually aren't too far behind.  However, on occasion, I will go a couple of times.  The movies I can think of off the top of my head that I've seen more than once are the Star Wars movies (SEs and prequels) and the Spider-Man movies.  I'm tempted to go catch X-Men: The Last Stand one more time before waiting for the DVD, and I could see going to the upcoming Superman Returns a couple of times if it is pretty good.  Overall though, its just been Star Wars and Spidey from what I can remember.  Anyways, do you go more than once to any movies, or even consider it anymore with the higher prices/quicker DVD releases?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Movies in the Theatre: Multiple Viewings?
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2006, 03:06 PM »
X-Men 3 so far for me. Plus the obvious Star Wars veiwings.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Just AOTC and ROTS.
Yo is what yo is.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2006, 03:58 PM »
There are so many freaking movies that I have to see that are collecting dust on my shelves at home, and there are so many movies in theaters at any given time that I want to see that I almost never make it to one movie twice.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Sometimes I go to a movie with coworkers or friends that my wife (or other friends) want to see, so I end up seeing it twice.  I almost never want to see anything twice in the theater.  Star Wars movies are really the only movies I pay to see more than once.
Got Clones?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2006, 04:38 PM »
ROTS- 4 times
ROTK- 2 times
Spiderman- 2 times
King Kong (2005)- 2 times

That's about it.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Aliens x 2
Titanic x 2 (the wife sucked me in on this)
Platoon x 3 
Gladiator x 2
Saving Private Ryan x 2
Pulp Fiction x 2
Close Encounters x 2 (saw the different cut when it was re-released 1980)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 02:31 PM »
I'll go to see the same movie in the theaters if the second viewing is with a friend who hasn't seen it. I'm easy that way.

On a side note, I saw Hook twice in one day. I had seen it a few days after release and decided to take my little brother the next week. Later in the day after I took my brother, my good friends really wanted to see it, so just to hang out, I saw it again that day. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 11:17 PM »
Nope,I can wait for DVDs
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 7, 2006, 12:30 PM »
Going off of the original topic a bit - but something that I recently noticed.  My sister in law and her husband recently offered to take our two nephews, 6 and 4, to go see the movie Cars at the theatre.  The 6 year old commented that he didn't want to go, opting to "buy it instead and just watch it at home".  You hear more and more how people (adults too) just "wait for the DVDs", which sort of makes me sad.  I guess ever since I was a kid, and continuing today, I've just always loved the theatre experience - seeing my favorite movies on the big screen.  Sure, its more expensive, and that has made the wife and I really only go to the movies we really want to see - and we'll wait for others - but I couldn't imagine not seeing movies like Star Wars, Spider-Man, Indiana Jones, LOTR, Harry Potter, Batman, Superman, etc. on the big screen at least one time.  I can see not wanting to pay to go multiple times, especially with DVDs usually not too far behind the release date, but I guess I always enjoy going to catch a movie in the theatre.  Does it seem like society overall is just shifting that way now, and will it change the way movies are released in the future?  Part of it, like other areas, might be an oversaturation of things too.  In the 80s when we went to movies (thinking of things like Star Wars, Indy, Goonies, original Batman), it seemed like there wasn't nearly as many releases each year - let alone each week.  That's how the original Star Wars could still be in theatres up to a year later in some cases.  Not saying it needs to be that way, the world is changing, but some part of that simplicity was nice too.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2006, 01:00 PM »
I'm one of those folks who will simply wait to buy/rent a movie on DVD, rather than go see it in theatres. I don't like being the loner who doesn't even get popcorn or a drink, but the way the theatres have been charging for snacks on top of the insanely big ticket fee - that's really the only way to do it anymore... No matter how good the movie is, I always walk out knowing that I've blown enough cash to have bought the movie and a lunch to eat while I watch it.

Back on the topic...

Movies I've seen numerous times (estimated)...

The Phantom Menace (5)
Attack of the Clones (3)
Revenge of the Sith (3)
A New Hope (3)
Empire Strikes Back (2)
Return of the Jedi (3)
X-Men 2 (2)
Kill Bill 2 (2)
LOTR: Two Towers (2)
LOTR: Return of the King (2)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 7, 2006, 03:14 PM »
Also:

X-Men 3- 2 times