Author Topic: Tutorial: Adding Ball-Joint Shoulders to Non-Ball-Joint Torsos  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
I could not find a proper thread to post this in so I started  a new one. If the Mods. have a better place for it feel free to put it were it should be.

Here is a little mini-tutorial, on useing my patented Rubber Gasket Technique to attach ball-socket shoulders to non-ball-socket torsos.

Step-1 Assemble Parts

Step-2 Dremel Socket in Torso
I use a cone-shaped grinder bit for this. I also grind a small valley just under the arm-pit so the arms fold down flat against the torso and don't stick straight out from the sides.

Step-3 Making a Rubber Gasket
For this I use the rubber caps from Zoids model kits. I slice the cap in half with my hobby knife. If you drill a hole in the closed half of the cap you can make two gaskets using only one cap.

Step-4 Place the Gasket Over the Plug of the Ball-Socket Joint.
This is were the Zoids cap is the perfect choice for this technique. The rubber is very stretchy and stretches over the plug very easily. The shape of the plug insures that it will not back out of the gasket easily.

Step-5 Plug the Shoulder Into the Torso
This is a very tight fit. I use a small sculpting tool to push the excess rubber of the gasket into the torso. Any small blunt tool should work, just be careful not to use something too sharp or you'll pierce through the rubber gasket.

Here are the end results.

I hope this helps
Fritzkrieg
« Last Edit: August 4, 2006, 11:32 PM by Jeff »
Fritzkrieg

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Customizing Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2006, 10:43 AM »
wonderful WIP pics

i love those tutorials
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2006, 11:01 AM »
What a great tutorial. I would have never though to use those zoids rubber caps for this. Thanks for posting this.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Fritz - thanks for the Photo-tutorial. These are VERY VERY helpful.  I'm sure Jeff will like this thead to the master thread at the top when he gets to it.

Anyway, I did have a quesiton for the group.   I don't have any Zoids... any idea what else might work in their place as gaskets??

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Wow, great stuff! I had huge problems with version 3 of my Galactic Marine. This is ideal to solve that problem!

Zoids eh? Aren't those cyborg dinosaurs with wind-up engines? I had some when I was a kid.

I think other rubber material could work as well. We have these 0.5 liter beer bottles with a special cap, sealed off with a custom fit rubber cap. Might work great.

Or some rubber from an old bicycle tyre (inner or outer).

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Re: Adding Ball-Joint Shoulders to Non-Ball-Joint Torsos
« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Excellent tutorial! Also cool to see those desert troops in the early constructions phase!

...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Ball-Joint Shoulders to Non-Ball-Joint Torsos
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Excellent tutorial Fritz. So thats how you do it. :P

We really need more of these kinds of things, showing how to do something is always better than telling.

Thanks Fritz, I may be giving this a try in the very near future.