Author Topic: the miracle of epoxy resin  (Read 2238 times)

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
  • From the water we're born, and in the fire we die
    • View Profile
the miracle of epoxy resin
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:21 AM »
No high quality casting stuff yet but I did discover some neat properties of the Castin Craft 1:1 ratio epoxy resin.

THE OBVIOUS.

Its clear so the castin craft transparent pigments can be used to make hologram figures.
Its dries rock solid
Its good for practice cause its cheap

THE COOL THINGS I FIGURED OUT

I decided to experiment with it.  I did not have the Castin Craft pigments, namely white.  So I decided to try Testors acrylic white to pigment it.  It worked pretty well and gave a nice solid color.  There was one very interesting side effect.  The consistentcy changed from rock hard to soft and bendable, like pvc rubber.  Now the interesting thing is that the level of flexibility is affected by two things, one is how much acrylic paint you add and the other is if you add extra hardener to compensate for the paint.

The parjai helmet I casted came out just slightly more flexible than the normal pvc used for limbs,  so if I adjust the level of the paint and hardener I get a cheap way to cast limbs and cast torsos with plain resin.  I might even be able to use the stuff to make a two part mold, seeing as I don't have RTV or silicon.

Anyways LMK your thoughts on this, 
                                                          ken
Palpatine:Lord Vader
Vader:Master, my suit chafes
Palps:Do you use Darkside
Vader:Yes master
Palps:In time you will learn the true power of the darkside
Vader:Which is
To stop chafing in clothes

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
Re: the miracle of epoxy resin
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Good to see your playing around with the cheaper stuff instead of the expensive stuff like I am lol.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE