Author Topic: Who wants resculpts?  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Who wants resculpts?
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:40 PM »
I've found since Hasbro has been making an extra effort to apeal to collectors lately, there are some nit picky things I'd like to see fixed or changed.

1. The helmet of the VOTC Stormtroopers is based on the ROTJ version of thier helmets. I prefer the look of the Stormtrooper helmets in episode IV. There are also additional paint aps on the Episode IV versions on the grill of the helmet. Another thing that bugs me about the VOTC Stormtroopers is the hip articulation. Please fix this so my Stromtroopers don't sit like little girls.

2. The Saga TIE Fighter Pilot, there is virtually no detail in the helmet sculpt at all. Just compare it to the AT-AT Drivers halmet and you can tell it's obviously lacking. I'd like to see this figure resculpted and redecoed with gray helmet marking matching the TIE Fighter Pilots in EpisodeIV.

These 2 figures just seem to be lacking given Hasbros current level of quality, and I'd like to see them redone. 
Fritzkrieg

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants resculpts?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:39 AM »
General Grievous
Hoth Rebel Trooper
Tebel Fleet Trooper
Hoth Princess Leia
Clone Commander Bacara
Clone Commander Gree
Clone Commander Cody
Battle Droid
Magna Guard
Ceremony Luke Skywalker
Ceremony Han Solo
Stormtrooper Luke Skywalker
Stormtrooper Han Solo
Death Star Trooper
Qui-Gon Jinn
TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi
Captain Piett
Grang Moff Tarkin
Tarrful
Chewbacca (ROTS)
Darth Vader (ROTS)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:03 AM »
There are a handful of resculpts I want... they took care of a lot of them recently with Bib Fortuna and the Biker Scout and so on.

Tops on my list is Admiral Ackbar.  A nice, highly posable version of him would rock. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 02:04 AM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 02:42 AM »
Resculpt ideas are always fun...  for me, goes something like this:

-SA Rebel Fleet Trooper...  Of course.  First one was an abysmal failure, the second one was a ball dropped on on a serious level.  A new, super articulated Rebel Fleet Trooper is a must in the line...  No goofy poses, no stupid ****, just a SA Trooper with a working holster, removable vest, and removable helmet.  Head variants, a plus.

-SA Hoth Rebel Trooper...  They've got 3 versions of this guy and they haven't gotten one right.  This trooper needs a major overhaul pronto.

-Nein Numb...  This guy's overlooked.  He's prominent throughout ROTJ's finale, he's Lando's right-hand-man, and his figure looks like crap.  He could use a major modern overhaul.

-B-Wing Pilot...  Ten Numb ain't cutting it anymore.  We need a human with removable helmet, and good articulation.

-Hoth Pilots...  You name it, it needs resculpted.  Luke, Wedge, Dak...  they are just not cutting the mustard and Luke's a pretty busy chap in this outfit so a resculpt of him is needed pronot.  Even Wedge has some action in this outfit, so it'd be nice if he got one with a Dak head/helmet variation of his sculpt.

-Biggs...  See above.  Rebel pilots have been good for a while now but biggs is like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl.  He stands out in a bad way amidst the others anymore.

-Weequay...  Call me crazy but this guy's pre-posed nature bothers me.  The sculpt's one of those ones you maybe think is ok, but I just know Hasbro can knock him out of the park.  Granted I'd like other Weequay too (skiffmaster, etc.) but the first POTF2 figure sucks so bad, it'd be nice to get a new one.

-Grand Moff Tarkin...  This is actually probably one of my top wants.  I'd love a Tarkin figure, all new, some poseability at least (It'd be great if he had AT-AT Driver-ish articulation) with his command chair.  I'd love this figure if it ever happened.  The chair alone would get me to buy multiples and I'd whip up the table myself.

-Dr. Evazan...  This guy wasn't good to begin with, and the new legs he got for the Cantina set were swizzlesticks and misshapen it seemed.  He needs a new figure with a working cross-hip holster and all. 

-Uncle Owen...  Boring as he is, the old guy ain't looking good and really he never did in the first place.

-Death Star (Imp. Naval) Trooper...  This guy's a joke on the old Imperial shelf.  we need a new SA one with removable helmet, working holster, and I'd love a grey-tuniced variation for the Death Squad Commander.

-Imp. Technician...  To be honest, I'd like it if they cast the POTJ Tech in grey, maybe tooled some new forearms for gloveless ones, and for legs they could use the Saga TIE Pilot's which I believe are accurate to the uniform.  A little kitbashing and it could be a great figure without a complete overhaul on sculpt.

-Zuckuss...  The sculpt of the first was kind of cool at the time, but I'm envisioning something closer akin to the vintage, with a softgoods coat, harness set, and some decent articulation.  This guy needs a resculpt.

-4-LOM...  Since he's not chromed out, it'd be nice to get a better articulated figure of 4-LOM for bounty hunting purposes.  Like it would be great if he could hold a gun for instance.

-Hoth Han...  The Saga figure doesn't cut it.  Too pre-posed and an ugly feature.  He only looked decent on a Taun-Taun.  I want something nicely articulated, not pre-posed, and if Hasbro figured out how to do a removable hood (softgoods or whatever it took) with a removable hat, that's a figure that would just be fantastic.

-Hoth Leia...  Leia's Hoth figure is showing its age at this point.  She's oversized height-wise, and the likeness isn't fabulous.  She could use something smaller and better articulated for her escape.

-Hoth Luke... I think it'd be cool if Hasbro re-used a lot of the Saga resculpt of Hoth Luke, but included a working holster, and articulated arms/legs.  The figure's just shy of greatness.  Re-use some parts, tool up a couple new ones, and a new Hoth Luke is born that looks great and is fun to play with.

-Snowtrooper...  This one's rumored, but it bears repeating that he desperately needs a resculpt.

-Bespin Luke...  Same as the Hoth Han actually, I really feel that his Saga figure isn't up to snuff.  The action feature and pre-posed sculpt of the legs are enough to kill the figure's quality to me.  I think Hasbro can put out something better than that today that's highly articulated, and either comes in battle damaged and undamaged flavors, or that includes different heads or some such. 

-Bespin Han...  POTJ wasn't a bad figure, but I think they've done better with Harrison Ford likenesses of late, and that figure's articulation isn't stellar at this point either.  I think if they wanted to, they could even get creative with the VTSC Han Solo sculpt, maybe a new head and arms, and put out a fantastic rendition of this figure.

-Bespin Guard...  Despite his pegwarming status from before, the figure's never been done accurately really, so it'd be cool to get a black/white head variant on a new Bespin Guard.  Even if a couple parts were re-used (the hat, obviously, maybe the arms), it'd be a good figure to redo I think.

That's a few I'd like to see resculpted, especially the army builders mixed in there and the pilots.  There's a lot to resculpt in this line to me I believe.  There's a long life in the film figures getting new figures I think, and that's without even going into the PT figures that need redone, like say, all of Episode 1's main characters pretty much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Ones I'd like to see -

- Obi Wan Kenobi (TPM)
- Qui Gon Jinn (TPM)
- Prince Xixor (SOTE)
- Gamorrean Guard (ROTJ)
- Jango Fett (AOTC)
- Owen Lars (ANH)
- Padme Amidala (AOTC Arena)
- Mace Windu (ROTS)
- Obi Wan Kenobi (AOTC)
- Zuckuss (ESB)
- Luke Skywalker (ESB Snowspeeder)
- 4LOM (ESB)
- Rebel Fleet Trooper (ANH)
- General Grievous (ROTS)
- Magna Guard (ROTS)
- Tarfful (ROTS)

I'm sure there's more, but I've kind of cut down on all the resculpts I'd like to see.

:)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Well...I don't want any new resculpts unless they will be SA. If not SA then what's the point? I read Hasbro's Q and A and they say that they don't have the resources to make all future figs SA(=BS). Why not? Surely Hasbro has done their market research to see that Sa versions sell better? Or does there research not  go that in-depth? Don't they make other lines that are Super Super Articulated per each fig? Those seem to be doing well. I think if they knocked down the fig number to approx. 50 figs a year and made them all SA..then I'd be cool with that.
If your Best line seller last year was SW and typically even in non-movie years it does well--wonder if it's in their top 5 annual line seelers...then all that said..wouldn't you make all future figs SA?

That's it Hasbro...I'm calling you out at the CC be ready!

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I pretty much have to agree with every figure that has been listed so far. I also would like to see a few other resculpts besides what has been listed. I would like to add the following:

Pondo Baba (IMHO the head never looked right plus need it SA)
Saelt-Marae (better sculpt and SA)
Captain Piett (the head was okay, but put it on a newer imperial body)
Ree-Yees (always like this figure even the vintage, just make him SA)
Orrimaarko (make him SA and I got tons of custom fodder goodness)
Admiral Motti (see Captain Piett above)
BoShek (give him SA treatment)
Ellorrs Madak (with SA this would be another great custom fodder figure)
Tessek (SA with soft goods cape & skirt piece)
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 05:52 PM »
My resculpt picks:

-SA Death Star Trooper w/ Removable Helmet, E-11 Rifle, DH-17 Blaster, And Holster
-SA Battle Droid w/ Blaster Rifle, Macrobinoculars, And Datapad
-SA Kit Fisto w/ SG Tunic, Lightsaber, Hilt, And Pilot Headgear
-SA Grand Moff Tarkin w/ E-11 Rifle, Imperial Datapad, And Mouse Droid
-SA General Grievous w/ SG Cape, 4 Lightsabers, Blaster, And Electrostaff
-SA MagnaGuard w/ SG Cloak And Electrostaff
-SA TPM Senate Guard w/ Rifle, Comlink, And Removable Helmet
-SA ANH Rebel Fleet Trooper w/ Removable Helmet, SG Vest, Holster, And DH-17 Blaster

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Well my list is pretty easy.....

Anybody who has not been Super Articulated to this point...needs a resculpt.

My priorities would be OT Army Builders and anybody in the OT who had the misfortune of having an Action Feature (almost every HAN and LUKE in the first Saga Line)

But If I have to be more definative:

Luke:
Hoth
Snowspeeder
Bespin
Ceremony (ANH)
Endor (not sure the new one is SA)
DSII
Jabba's Palace
ANH Farmboy
Stormtrooper

Han:
Stormtrooper
Hoth
Bespin
Jabba's prisoner

Obi Wan:
ANH

Rebels:
Fleet Trooper
Hoth
Echo Base Tech
Pilots (wedge, dack, Biggs, Pops, Tycho, hobbie, Jansen)
Endor (the arms of the new one suck)
Hoth Commander

Imps:

Death Star Trooper
Death Squad Commander
Imperial Officer (with Tunic, not Jumpsuit)
Snowtrooper

Fringe:

Bespin Guard (with beard and fu-man-chu)
Walrus Man
Snaggletooth (blue)

To clarify..super articulation in MY world:  Ball jointed Elbows, shoulders, knees, head (with serveral variants in Army builders), Swivel: wrists, hips, feet, legs.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 07:34 PM »
-SA Grand Moff Tarkin w/ E-11 Rifle, Imperial Datapad, And Mouse Droid

Agreed.  My favorite scene from Star Wars is when Tarkin is taking those potshots at Ben Kenobi from across the Death Star docking bay.

---

-Bespin Luke...  Same as the Hoth Han actually, I really feel that his Saga figure isn't up to snuff.  The action feature and pre-posed sculpt of the legs are enough to kill the figure's quality to me.  I think Hasbro can put out something better than that today that's highly articulated, and either comes in battle damaged and undamaged flavors, or that includes different heads or some such. 

-Bespin Han...  POTJ wasn't a bad figure, but I think they've done better with Harrison Ford likenesses of late, and that figure's articulation isn't stellar at this point either.  I think if they wanted to, they could even get creative with the VTSC Han Solo sculpt, maybe a new head and arms, and put out a fantastic rendition of this figure.

At the time of their releases (2002 and 2000, respectively) they weren't bad figures by any stretch of the imagination (Luke was a particularly nice figure for it's time).  That they are in need of resculpts now isn't a knock on them, but more a testament to how much better Hasbro has gotten in the last few years.

(Has it really been six years since the last Bespin Han?  Wow.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:36 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 07:39 PM »
Bespin Han I'd agree with...  He's not bad, just needs some tweaking.  Really maybe some new forearms with moveable wrists, and if they gave him new articulated legs, that'd be great by me...  I always liked that figure and at the time it was fantastic.

However I disagree completely on Luke...  Saga in 2002 put out some of the biggest turds in the line IMO, usually due to action features and pre-posed sculpts.  Luke's a good looking figure from the front, but the action feature still kills it for me, and while I think the articulation is good in number, the pre-posed legs make the figure all but useless for anything but action poses.  If a new, well articulated and neutrally sculpted one came out, mine would be relegated to hanging from the weather antenna...  It's a figure I've never felt was all that good, but like Hoth Han it failed not because the sculpt was bad or whatnot, but because it had an obtrusive action feature and a pose that limited its usefulness greatly.

Han though is pretty good...  At the time he was even the kind of figure that upped the standards.  But today he's just needing better poseability is all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 07:49 PM »
Hasbro has been making an extra effort to apeal to collectors lately

HUH? What line have you been collecting?

:P
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Bespin Han I'd agree with...  He's not bad, just needs some tweaking.  Really maybe some new forearms with moveable wrists, and if they gave him new articulated legs, that'd be great by me...  I always liked that figure and at the time it was fantastic.

However I disagree completely on Luke...  Saga in 2002 put out some of the biggest turds in the line IMO, usually due to action features and pre-posed sculpts.  Luke's a good looking figure from the front, but the action feature still kills it for me, and while I think the articulation is good in number, the pre-posed legs make the figure all but useless for anything but action poses.  If a new, well articulated and neutrally sculpted one came out, mine would be relegated to hanging from the weather antenna...  It's a figure I've never felt was all that good, but like Hoth Han it failed not because the sculpt was bad or whatnot, but because it had an obtrusive action feature and a pose that limited its usefulness greatly.

Han though is pretty good...  At the time he was even the kind of figure that upped the standards.  But today he's just needing better poseability is all.

Oh, I agree totally that Han has aged much better than Luke.  Still looks good--just the articulation is a bit lacking.

Luke was probably one of my favorite figures of 2002.  Action features aren't my cup of tea, either--but his was one of the least-obtrusive and least-obnoxious of them all.  The detailing was much improved over the POTF2 version, and it's still gotta be one of the most-accessoried figures in the basic line, ever.  And the extra articulation (both elbows, both wrists, and both knees) was really nice for the time, too.  But yeah, the legs were spread way too wide (careful, now), and the "battle-damaged" look was a bit over the top.

And if the rumors pan out, I'm really looking forward to see what Hasbro's done with him for next year.  Should be quite an improvement.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dark Empire Luke

• Youngling
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Jango Fett
Dark Empire Luke Skywalker
Clone Emperor
Kyle Katarn
Han Solo(Hoth)
Luke Skywalker(Hoth)
Leia(Hoth)
Dark Trooper

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 09:06 PM »
-SA Darktrooper w/ E-11 Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Rail Gun Detonator, And Removable JumpPack
-SA Jango Fett w/ Twin Pistols, Removable Helmet, Jetpack, And Pilot Headgear
-SA Geonosian Pilot w/ Removable Air Harness, Geonosian Sonic Blaster, And CIS Datapad
-SA Super Battle Droid w/ Invisible Hand Railing
-SA Dr. Evazan w/ Blaster Pistol, Barglass, And Cantina Table
-SA Uncle Owen w/ Blue Milk Pitcher, Heavy Blaster, And Grenade Launcher