Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Cards?  (Read 26321 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 30th Anniversary Cards?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2006, 02:03 PM »
For me it's just very different than any SW packaging before it.  I dont really care for it just looking at it on the web.  I want to see what a figure and coin on it looks like which I assume they will unveil some at the SDCC.  I agree with some other comments that there seems to be a lot going on with the card itself that is kind of odd or distracting to me.  I don't hate it but I don't have a positive feeling about it either.  It reminds me of boxes that are flat at first before you fold them into a box itself.  It's just very different.  For me I like the vintage cardbacks and the OTC/SAGA2 packaging the best.  I just prefer that style over this apparently.

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2006, 03:13 PM »
I know it is doubtful, but maybe the bubble will encase the whole card or there is a second piece to the card that will enclose the bubble and even out the corners to give it a more rectangular shape.
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline DaRk_ JeDi BeN

• Youngling
  • roach squasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2006, 09:02 PM »
as also being a loose collector, I dont care about the card. I like it, but I am more worried about how will star cases change or even worse, the price!
my creativity has ran out  so I dont have a proper signature

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Woohoo!  My thread's really taken off. Oddly enough, I like these cards.  They are different, and not what I expected, but they are striking.  And that's coming from  a true OT 77 fan.

While I love the current cards, I look forward to seeing more of these.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2006, 02:35 PM »
"We chose a contemporary styling to the logo for a fresh look at the brand, and created a distressed architecture to celebrate its long heritage," says Pilot partner Chris Ford. "It was important to deliver an ownable shape to the action figure packaging in particular." adds Concannon.

Apparently they put a lot of thought in, yet didn't notice that it's just generally wobbly looking.  Of course, maybe this guy's just going over my head.  After all, I don't know what "ownable" even means.

Well if ownable means collectible, they clearly don't get it and aren't collectors themselves.  Presumably they want people to want to collect these on cards.  Again the point about too many corners.  Also look at the VOTC/VTSC, those are ownable - classic, clean and even without the included star case would be easy to maintain in MOMC condition.  Not getting it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2006, 05:52 AM »
It's different, which is about all I can say for it.  I don't hate it, but I open my figs, so.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2006, 03:21 PM »
i like but since i open my figs it realy doesnt affect me that much  ;)
Momar and Fester

Offline Vader0519

• Youngling
  • *force choke*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2006, 12:21 PM »
i like but since i open my figs it realy doesnt affect me that much  ;)

Same here. Card look/condition is irrelevant to me.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: 'Scum's 2007 report... Oh my!
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2006, 10:08 PM »
Being a carded collector, I don't really like it. It may grow on me but right now it sucks. I can see the package mangled already.

that is exactly what i am thinking about this card design. i love the 2006 packaging and while i can understand that hasbro wants to do something special for the anniversary, maybe we can see a return of the Saga Collection in '08. that'd be fine by me.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 10:58 PM »
"We chose a contemporary styling to the logo for a fresh look at the brand, and created a distressed architecture to celebrate its long heritage," says Pilot partner Chris Ford. "It was important to deliver an ownable shape to the action figure packaging in particular." adds Concannon.

Apparently they put a lot of thought in, yet didn't notice that it's just generally wobbly looking.  Of course, maybe this guy's just going over my head.  After all, I don't know what "ownable" even means.

Well if ownable means collectible, they clearly don't get it and aren't collectors themselves.  Presumably they want people to want to collect these on cards.  Again the point about too many corners.  Also look at the VOTC/VTSC, those are ownable - classic, clean and even without the included star case would be easy to maintain in MOMC condition.  Not getting it.

Chris Ford sounds like a dime-a-dozen MBA.  What the hell does it mean to "create[ ] a distressed architecture to celebrate its long heritage"?

Huh?

First, what does "distressed architecture" mean, and second, what does it have to do with anything's "long heritage"?

Chris Ford is a douche, but I personally don't care about the packaging because I'm an opener.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2006, 11:31 AM »

Chris Ford sounds like a dime-a-dozen MBA.  What the hell does it mean to "create[ ] a distressed architecture to celebrate its long heritage"?

Huh?

First, what does "distressed architecture" mean, and second, what does it have to do with anything's "long heritage"?

Chris Ford is a douche, but I personally don't care about the packaging because I'm an opener.

I don't care about the packaging either as I've become more "opener" than not...   I also don't see myself caring for much of this line anymore with Repacks/Repaints Galore coming next year as well... I'll end up with the new characters but that's about it.
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Oddly enough I'm more into buying these for the coins...possibly.  Those may pull a few more purchases from me that I otherwise would not get.  For example, I want the Kenobi and R2-D2 more for the coin than the actual figure itself. 

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Oddly enough I'm more into buying these for the coins...possibly.  Those may pull a few more purchases from me that I otherwise would not get.  For example, I want the Kenobi and R2-D2 more for the coin than the actual figure itself. 

me too, and those are the exact two figures im not the most thrilled about, too. especially kenobi. i actually kinda like the coins, i think they add value to the fig.

that is, they add value if they dont add another two bucks to the cost.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2006, 08:31 AM »
I can see how someone would like the coins because coin collecting has always been big.  Still, to claim that it adds value to the figure makes no sense whatsoever.  The figure exists regardless of the irrelevant coin pack-in.  The coins are another way for Hasbro to dick us around some more.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline IshiTib

• Jedi Initiate
  • The actual avatar is my newest figure:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2006, 02:31 PM »
i dont like the new cards very much, but maybe i will like them, when they reach stores
Sorry for my bad English, i am German.