Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Cards?  (Read 26334 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 'Scum's 2007 report... Oh my!
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Wish they had kept the '06 style, but this'll grow on me.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 'Scum's 2007 report... Oh my!
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2006, 11:55 AM »
Reserving judgement on this until I see the bubble attached. Why do I fear the bubble will be diagonally placed rectangle from lower left to upper right..partially covering the photo of the fig. represented?! The rest of the card..outline could suggest they're leaning toward this. I hope not or my neck will be sore looking at all the diagonal figs ::) :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
30th Anniversary Packaging
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 12:46 PM »
I was thinking this morning, that the rumored 30th Anniversary Tin Packs make a lot more sense now...

Same oddball angles as the card, same blend of black and silver shapes...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 12:52 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Cards?
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 12:52 PM »
good catch
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27 PM »

The basic design is a lot like the Vintage cards- blister on the left, picture of character on the right. Pretty cool.

I also noticed that the circle below the picture of the Lava Miner looks like the spot for the coin pack-in. Neat.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 02:11 PM »
It's a little too busy for my liking.  Unique for sure, but it doesn't scream Star Wars...

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Unique for sure, but it doesn't scream Star Wars...

That's my one and only problem with the packaging. I love it and all, but if the Star Wars logo was taken away, I wouldn't immediately think it was Star Wars.

Yo is what yo is.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Busy is a good word for that card :o  With Matthew and Brad I agree, it's a hodge podge design.  I'm no designer type but it looks like they had a meeting, looked at a bunch of different designs, took all the elements they liked and forced them together.

Being an opener, the corners are no big deal.  Being a guy that hunts for Canadian trilogo cards for guys in other countries that want MOMC I hate this thing.  A total nightmare as Scott and others have indicated.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 03:25 PM »
Eh, it's better than most of their designs I think.

Still doesn't matter one bit to me though, all these packages will end up in the trash.

:)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Busy is a good word for that card :o  With Matthew and Brad I agree, it's a hodge podge design.  I'm no designer type but it looks like they had a meeting, looked at a bunch of different designs, took all the elements they liked and forced them together.

Exactly.  It looks like busy ****. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2006, 10:31 PM »
The criss-crossing lines also give the card a lot of tention. Kind of makes it an angry card. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2006, 12:46 AM »
It appears as if the bubble will be smaller, meaning less space for accesories. I was pretty happy with the TSC cards, I didn't see the need for a major change...

It's a good thing I've switched to collecting loose.
"This is the way."

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2006, 01:23 AM »
Somebody else already said it, but I'm not a fan of how some of the words are sort of facing different directions.  You have to tilt your head one way to read the "A long time ago" bit, and tilt the other way to figure out the "77-07" bit inside the partially-obscured "30".

Also...

"We chose a contemporary styling to the logo for a fresh look at the brand, and created a distressed architecture to celebrate its long heritage," says Pilot partner Chris Ford. "It was important to deliver an ownable shape to the action figure packaging in particular." adds Concannon.

Apparently they put a lot of thought in, yet didn't notice that it's just generally wobbly looking.  Of course, maybe this guy's just going over my head.  After all, I don't know what "ownable" even means.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2006, 01:37 AM »
That's a bold design, to be sure.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see figures and coins placed on them, but for now, I'm not entirely impressed.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Squid89

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2006, 10:43 AM »
I don't like the weak looking hangar on top.  Don't like the cut corners and notches.  I'm an opener so it will not affect my collection, but hunting for these all year will hurt the eyes.  I also think celebrating 30 years of Star Wars should be done with something that looks like it belongs in the SW universe - this design does not.  It may be great for a designer with different elements ("distressed architecture"???? "ownable shape"????) and what not - not my field - but it doesn't seem appropriate for the target audience and marketing of the product.