Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Cards?  (Read 26330 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Cards?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Still, to claim that it adds value to the figure makes no sense whatsoever.

I got to agree with that...  ONly because Hasbro's said, these pack-ins really add nothing value-wise to the overall offering.  They're just there to draw attention and sales.  That said they have to cost something so I wonder if these things really drive sales enough to even bother like Hasbro does.  If you dropped holograhic minis this year, would SW have tanked at retail?  I doubt it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2006, 05:13 PM »
Star Wars figures do not need pack ins, plain and simple.

We survived the POTF2, OTC and ROTS days just fine without them.  Look at the banter year Hasbro had with ROTS.  I know it was a movie year but the figures rocked as did the PRICE!

$4.99 is the sweet spot for 3.75" figures, there's no denying it.  I've said it all year, drop the pack-ins (and even the stands) and let's see where we end up in regards to price.

I can tell  you one thing, zinc (die cast) is not cheap anymore - those coins that Hasbro is releasing next year with every figure aren't cheap. 

You may even notice a price increase next year (see EE.com).

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Star Wars figures do not need pack ins, plain and simple.

I can tell  you one thing, zinc (die cast) is not cheap anymore - those coins that Hasbro is releasing next year with every figure aren't cheap. 

You may even notice a price increase next year (see EE.com).

heck yes, i've been sayin that this whole time, hasbro's gonna add another 2 bucks to the price. it may not be right away, but you just wait and see, 8-9 dollar figs are not that far away. in 2008, they'll be packing them with bonus mouse droids in 20 different color variations.  :P (i do like these coins, but not as basic fig pack ins. i say it would've been nice to release these as pack ins with those very handsome tin sets. that woulda been nice.  8)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:46 PM by Snaggletooth »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2006, 12:05 AM »
Now that I've seen the first two waves packaged with this new packaging, it's not that bad. It's really growing on me.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Images of the cardbacks have shown up at our second favorite SW fan site:

Yakface Link

It looks like some of the figure cross-sell images are blacked out - a nod to the early vintage ROTJ cardbacks maybe?

???

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2006, 10:41 AM »
Now that I've seen the first two waves packaged with this new packaging, it's not that bad. It's really growing on me.

Now that I'm an opener, I really couldn't care less about the packaging or the pack-ins...  except that they add to the cost of the figures I'll want to get.   I care much more about the figures themselves and am just sick and tired of repacks and "repaints"....  Viva new characters!
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 8, 2007, 11:31 PM »
I'm still not a fan of the cards, but after seeing them first hand, I appreciate the design.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 9, 2007, 05:29 PM »
I picked up W1 this afternoon and I'm amazed that all of the corners were straight dead on perfect with no bends or dings even considering the box they came in had a smushed corner.  I was really worried about that considering there's so many corners. 

The bubble seemed very strong and I'm so happy that there's not a lick of tape on the packaging.  I really like the look of these and I may be in the minority here, but I was getting bored with the TSC packaging - it'll be back though, I'm sure of it.  It's nice to have something so dramatically new.  I haven't had enough time to inhale everything, but I'm almost tempted to crack one open when I get home tonight.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 06:10 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 9, 2007, 10:51 PM »
I guess I never commented in this thread after picking these up a couple of weeks ago, but my comments hold.  Aside from the J-hook, these are surprisingly durable at the multiple corners and the bubble is rock solid.  Moreso twenty years from now the absence of scotch tape will be a huge plus.  I can't see anything from ROTS or Saga2 standing the test of time well at all.  So long as you get these from the store clean, you can keep them that way.  Big step up.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2007, 04:59 AM »
I found a case of these today, but all the cards were bent on the right side. Fiercely bent. I suppose it was shipping damage more than anything, since I noticed these cards were a little thicker than the Saga cards.

I saw these things from a mile away. Nice eye-grabbing packaging, much like the ROTS cards.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25 PM »
All I've seen are ok, so far...  I personally like the colors and style but I sorely miss the "exclusive" background for each and every figure.  That really sorta sours me on how these look.  I'm not a carded guy to care one way or the other but I enjoyed those last cards.  I like the vibrant colors though and style of these ones.  If they'd have kept the backgrounds behind the bubble I'd be really happy with how these look actually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2007, 07:25 PM »
Im not really impressed with the cards, the SAGA cards were so COOL. 

Offline IshiTib

• Jedi Initiate
  • The actual avatar is my newest figure:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2007, 05:33 PM »
now that we got information about some more cards, i begin to like these cards more and more
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:01 AM by IshiTib »
Sorry for my bad English, i am German.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2007, 06:24 PM »
now that we got information about some more cards, i begin to like these cars more and more

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2007, 10:02 PM »
WOW! I just found my first bunch of TAC figs today. I only purchased McStormy, but these packages are something else, I'm telling you. They are probably the best Star Wars packages in the history of the line by a million miles. I love them! The bubble is very firm, which will prevent creasing and dents, the card itself is sturdier than I expected, and the coin looks unbelievable the way its placed on the card. As for the back, it's also extraordinary, and the front is extremely eye-catching and colorful. This is terrific, I was very skeptical at first, but now that I've experienced holding them for the first time, it's really quite a trip. I am a huge fan of this year, Hasbro, thank you tons!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!