Author Topic: Star Wars: Old Friends ... Part One "NEW!"  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Swede

• Youngling
  • Burt Reynolds flew X-Wings?
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Old Friends ... Part One "NEW!"
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Hi everyone ...

I just joined JD about a week ago, I really like the site alot.  I've been working on a PN and have completed a few chapters.  I've posted them at RS in the past.  I was really suprised to recognize so many names when I came over here, and was really impressed at the custom work and PNs I've seen!  I understand that some people prefer keeping the chapters in one thread while others want to split them up into seperate topics, if I could get some feedback on what you prefer ...  that'd be great, as far as I can tell it doesn't seem like people mind seperate posted chapters too much. If you've already read these on the other site, I apologize for cloggin' up the boards with old stuff.  But if you haven't, please feel free to let me know what you think.  If you think it sucks, I can dig it ... just try to tear it apart contructively if possible  ;)

Hey Lance, when am I going to get an update on your story ... I reread them over a week ago and now I'm hangin'  ;D

Oh yeah ... total noob question, how do you get that highlighted "NEW" Icon in your PNs title?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 10:14 PM by Swede »
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Old Friends ... Part One "NEW!"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:52 AM »
SWEDE!!!

Really glad you joined JD, I hope you like it here.  A different vibe than RS (nothing against it) and I think you'll enjoy yourself.

I'm DELIGHTED you brought your awesome photonovel here.  We have a great, photonovel-friendly crowd and I hope that you get more replies here than at RS, where your work goes tragically underappreciated.  In fact, I have been meaning to write a post at RS about the lack of feedback that many stories unfortunately seem to get.  It's a shame.

(Ahem, JD-ers...let's get some chatter going here for this cool photonovel!!!)

Glad to have you here!!!  As you know, I really love this story!

Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:47 AM »
nice dialogue and plot setting

i dig the "present" part of the 3po-r2 dialogue
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:03 AM »
Cool story & great dialog! I do really like this PN (and it's following other Parts too). I'm one of the bastards at RS that reads (and really likes) your swanky PNs, but then doesn't post. SO, to correct this grievous offense:

I especially like the use of classic OT dialog. Seems to me like a lot of people try to use it, but don't often pull it off right. You do pretty well, and get better w/ each installment.

Also, I loved the flashback in p3! And the story telling flows nicely in all the parts. But what I like the most, is the use of picture-in-picture frames. I think it does a lot for the story and allows you to move things along in a less choppy / drawn-out way. Some folks try to put filler pics & descriptions in where they need SOMEthing, but don't know what to throw in. I think your comic-book style layout takes care of that need in a manner that is both efficient & pleasant to look at. The only suggestion might be to make sure that each frame is the same width, whether or not it uses pic-in-pic or not.

All-in-all, sweet job. I'm diggin' it!

-p3ndr4g0n
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:05 AM by PenDragon »

Offline Brisk Arper

• Jedi Initiate
  • ITS A TWAP!!!!
    • View Profile
    • mandalorian mercs
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 04:10 PM »
man this is really good...you really captured hans personality in the dialogue...looking forward to more......p.s. welcome to JD
in the words of a famous admiral......

ITS A TWAP!!!

Offline Swede

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:29 PM »
I hope that you get more replies here than at RS, where your work goes tragically underappreciated.  In fact, I have been meaning to write a post at RS about the lack of feedback that many stories unfortunately seem to get.  It's a shame.

Bud, you just totally made my day.  Thank you so much for the wonderful compliment.  I can't believe it, my old 1st pn has already garnished more responses from individual users in a day, than my latest edition has in over a week at RS ! ...LOL

I've never wanted to be the kid in class, jumping up and down yelling "Look at me!!!"  Yet, when a compliment or critique comes along, it's a great feeling because you know someone took the time to check out your work.  After I posted my third chapter at RS and recieved hardly any feedback, I was getting pretty bummed.  That story may not be super huge on action, but the custom fig and dioramas took me quite a while to build and paint and I was kind of proud of it when I  finished.  In the end though, I do pns for the pure fun of it.  Being able to pull out pieces of your collection and put together some crazy story from scratch ... it's like being 8 years old on Christmas morning ;D
...and when people give you input on your finished story, ...  that's just awesome!

Thanks for all your feedback guys, it really is appreciated.  I've been enjoying JD quite a bit, since I've joined.  It's hard to describe ... just seems to be a more positive vibe in this corner of the net.

jeesh, this post is rambling ...sorry ...later.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:31 PM by Swede »
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Here's some more current sculpts of some the characters:
TSC C-3PO-Ewok Diety
TSC R2-D2-Hoth
VTSC X-Wing Pilot Luke Skywalker
Besides the old figures *excluding the Gonk droid & his lil' buddy* the PN is pretty good.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:55 PM »
TSC C-3PO-Ewok Diety
TSC R2-D2-Hoth
Besides the old figures *excluding the Gonk droid & his lil' buddy* the PN is pretty good.

I don't mean to pick on you personally, Artoo, as  you are not the only person I've seen do this.

But I always think it's a little rude when people point out that they should buy better figures for their photonovels.  Not everyone has cash to burn and not every figure is easy to come by, anyway.

Hell, Endor wave 3PO?  It's just BARELY out now! 

Frankly, a cool story and great dialogue (which this photonovel has in spades) are far more important that figure choices.

Let's try to have more feedback, folks.  This is JD for crissake, not RS.  Let's keep this thread going and give some props to our new member.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Swede

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 09:18 PM »
TSC C-3PO-Ewok Diety
TSC R2-D2-Hoth

Yeah, I do know what you're saying.  I'm actually not a super die-hard collector, money's really tight at the moment and I've tried to limit myself to ANH themed figures and vehicles over the years.  If you can't tell, thats my favorite of the OT ;)
By limiting my collecting to this one movie, it really helps with ye olde' budget; especially when you have a one year old toddler that eats everything under the sun :D  Every once in a while though, I do crumble and buy a fig that is just too cool. 
But this is why you'll notice a lot of older figures in my PNs, they are just from my older collection and the characters happen to work for my story.  They really aren't THAT bad are they? ... so long as you know who the character is?  I am working on getting a newer Fett though, hopefully the 300th one.

I'll be throwing up old chapter 2 in a few days.

Before I get working on my  chapter 4, I'm actually going to do a really quick pn which will be sort of a tribute, in a way, to one of the mods on these boards ... one Mr. Jesse James.

Thank you for the input Artoo, it is appreciated ....but some older figures will be the norm in these pns :(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:49 PM »
Great stuff. Digging the dialogue, the backgrounds, the customs, everything. Looking forward to more.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Swede-Ok,but if you do get a new Fett the VOTC Fett would be a better choice,if you can find for something below $20 or higher.... :-\ When's the next chapter?

Quazzar-I understand,hell I'm in that situation... :'(. Also alot of people seem to have been finding Diety 3PO so it should'nt be that hard
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:47 PM »
where's the next chap! that was awsome i need more! lol  ;)
Momar and Fester

Offline Swede

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Hey, thanks 212 and Diddly  ;D

I'll throw up old chapter #2 this Sunday along with another PN short I'm presently finishing up ...it's nothing special, sort of done tongue in cheek.

As I said before, it'll be a little jab at one of the Mods on these boards ... it's all in fun.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Great stuff Swede, good to see it posted here.  I seem to remember it from RS a while back.

You have a unique style with this and it was a lot of fun.  The larger set that you used was perfect, it really looked like a docking bay!

A couple of the pics were slanted and might look better if you stack your camera on some books (that's what I do) or even use a tripod I guess.  And I think you could get away without using Real Stands for it.  But those are just ideas, this was fantastic and a great read.

:)

Offline Swede

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Chewie, thanks so much for the advice!
 It holds a lot of weight coming from a PN vet as yourself.  In a way,  you're actually one of the reasons I'm getting into PNs.  After reading your Enloe series, I was totally blown away at the depth of the plot and your character development ... it's fantastic.  It looked like so much fun that I had to give it a shot, and now I'm hooked  ;D

Thanks for the inspiration.

-Swede