Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2006  (Read 25795 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Comic-Con 06
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2006, 07:59 PM »
I guess I am a little underwhelmed with what we saw. Some of it, like the Galactic Marine, looks outstanding. And I think the Kashyyyk Scout looks pretty good actually, and maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but the helmet to me seems to be different? Or maybe it's just that they painted the visor so big?

All the POTF2 repacks kind of piss me off. Guess I'll be passing on some of those... I can see why they are Walmart exclusives.

Also I am very disappointed about the Battle Droids... what the heck is up with the paint pattern? Weird. Just damn weird looking.

Some of the clone repaints also kind of make me laugh. Some people are just too clone crazy, I think it's somewhat of a fad. I mean, come on... if all the clone fans out there loved Star Wars so much, where were they before ROTS? Why didn't they like the OT? Sure some are younger, but wow.

That being said though, I think that the clones were still the highlight of what we've seen. The Appo looks great and is such an improvement over the Tactical Ops trooper that it's laughable. The Galactic Marine looks like VOTC quality... and we know that the Kashyyyk Scout will have great articulation.

The Imperial Conference Room figures look great however. Looking forward to those. I just wish that Motti and Tarkin were new figures.

All the Jedi starfighters are overkill in my opinion. And a TIE with little vintage wings? Huh?????

And where is the Sith Infiltrator? V-Wing?

Here's how I see it though - a lot of weird crap that I don't like.  They took EU totally in the wrong direction here.  Some of the stuff I like a lot, others I think are pathetic.  So what I don't like, I won't get.  It will give me more money to build up the army builders that I like.  Simple as that.  I won't lose any sleep over it.

:)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2006, 08:47 PM »
What I don't get about the Marvel packs is that just recently, when asked about more Clone Wars Cartoon style figures, Hasbro said that people wanted "movie style figures."

To me, that means accuruate colors, as well as sculpts.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2006, 08:49 PM »
These are Diamond Exclusives though, they probably came and actually asked for these

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Then Diamond can keep them...bastards...
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2006, 01:44 AM »
I see the front page updated with some amazing shots of the Hasbro stuff.  Just a quick shout out to Matt and Jared and the crew back home for some incredibly clear photos.

Interesting to see just how much of a shaft Hasbro is giving to collectors with the coming boxed sets.  Fine and dandy for the OCD carded guys, but buy a box with three rehashes to get a single new figure??  Ouch. 

Between the Willrow/Yarna stunt, the above screwing of collectors (come on, three old and one new?) and the quality of product coming from other places (GG, Sideshow, etc.) it might be time to finally grow up and give Hasbro the punt.  For me anyway.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2006, 04:18 AM »
I guess we can't all think alike... ::)

EDIT: Those rolleyes are for RS, not you Morgiepoo. *smooches* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:19 AM by Jediknight760071 »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2006, 10:14 AM »
I see the front page updated with some amazing shots of the Hasbro stuff.  Just a quick shout out to Matt and Jared and the crew back home for some incredibly clear photos.

Interesting to see just how much of a shaft Hasbro is giving to collectors with the coming boxed sets.  Fine and dandy for the OCD carded guys, but buy a box with three rehashes to get a single new figure??  Ouch. 

Between the Willrow/Yarna stunt, the above screwing of collectors (come on, three old and one new?) and the quality of product coming from other places (GG, Sideshow, etc.) it might be time to finally grow up and give Hasbro the punt.  For me anyway.

I have to say that I was feeling that same way. Between Sideshow, the animated Gentle Giant staues, and Kubricks, Hasbro has not really been that impressive. I feel like a guy trying to remain a child with the Hasbro figures. I am sure i will keep buying them, but I don't think i can say they are my number 1 focus. I think Sideshow has stolen the spotlight.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:15 AM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2006, 01:08 PM »
I think that Hasbro doesn't understnd the idea of fandom.  I am a Star Wars fan, not a Hasbro fan.  If someone else makes a good SW product, I'll drop Hasbro in a minute.

While I'm bummed by what I saw, I have high hopes for 2007.   Seven new MqQuarrie (and Johnston) figs, plus 10 of the Fan's choice is 17 new figures right there.  That's enough to get me excited.

And honestly, a set of MqQurrie figures is like a gift from heaven fro me.  I grew up loving his art work, and he's one of the reasons that I have made my living as an illustrator since 1995.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Were their any fireworks at the Q&A after?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2006, 05:25 PM »
It was kind of a mix bag.  Some stuff I was like "Yay!" and other stuff was like "Ick."  Oh well.  The best thing I saw from Hasbro was the Imperial Officers pack, Imperial R5, Clonetroopers, and stuff here and there.  The biggest disappointments was a lot of rehashed, repack, repainted stuff that nobody is clamoring for like Kitik, Yarael Poof, camo droids, and the endless parade of repainted Jedi Starfighters.    IMO anyway. 

I thought the very best thing I saw from the whole show was Sideshow's Jabba The Hutt and environment.  Expensive as hell but a total annihilation of creative thinking and effort versus Hasbro offerings IMO. 

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Rob Vader's Starfighter wasn't made up, I think it was from that Dark Lord book.

I like some of the figures out in fall, the clones,astros,along with the Cantina denziens becuase I don't have them, the Sep Droids I will buy one version for camo & AB for customs & Holo Obi. The rest is CRAP!

I like all 4 known basic figures for '07.

The EE Delta pack is great.

The Imperial Meeting set is OK, they should of used the Veers body on all of the figures that don't have a modern sculpt. ('99 or beyond).

The Tin Sets have bad & good choices, really I'm gonna have to buy a ton of bad figures for a good figure or two. :-\

Really,the starfighters are getting boring Vader's will be it for me.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2006, 10:24 PM »
It's easy to get caught up in all of the new product discussion and things that were presented at Comic-Con, but I'd like to thank the JD for the great coverage again this year.

Jared has done a great job getting photos of stuff, and I think he got the first images up from the Hasbro Powerpoint presentation. I loved being able to check in real time what they were announcoing during the Q&A. I'm missing a lot of the personal observations and stories and pictures from Hooters and drunk Colman rants, but I believe they'll be shared in the next couple of days. I'm talking to you, Jamie!

Thanks for all you guys do to report and share your experiences at Comic-Con.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2006, 12:05 AM »
Yeah,thanks. There's else now.....I guess.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2006, 01:32 AM »
Rob Vader's Starfighter wasn't made up, I think it was from that Dark Lord book.

EU, made-up... same thing to me. :)

My latest thinking on all of this is that I'm not going to buy hardly any of this EU stuff.

If I stumble across some of it in cheap bins at collecting shows, I'll fill in the gaps in the collection - but this has just about killed the completist in me.

And I'm glad about that at least.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2006, 11:49 AM »
This is my first post back since getting back from Comic-con at 1AM this morning. What a ride! I think the JDer's I roomed with will attest that I was a busy camper.

Anyhow, some great stuff unveiled for sure, but it definitely made me re-think my collecting habit. I'm shocked to be saying this, but I am on clone overload now. Anything EUish(clone wise) is going to see less numbers in my collection. Clone builders, stay tuned as I prep to get rid of some of my Scorches, Shadowtroopers and SW Shop clones.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."