Author Topic: Will POTF2 ever become the new vintage?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline Darth_Deastron

• Jedi Initiate
  • Let the hate flow through you.
    • View Profile
    • The Sith Empire
Will POTF2 ever become the new vintage?
« on: July 21, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Hey, I was thinking, will POTF2 ever become the new vintage figures?  Because the Kenner figs were only made 10 years or so before POTF2, and when they were less than 20 years old, they were considered vintage.  Thoughts?
FS: TSE Sith Holocron Props!  Cool heartbeat glow! PM me if you're interested.

The Sith Empire

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Will POTF2 ever become the new vintage?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:10 PM »
The POTF2 line will be 30 years old, someday. Yes. But I doubt they'll be regarded the same way the Vintage line is... Most of the POTF2 figures were butt ugly, while the Vintage line was pretty consistantly kickass.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:46 PM »
I dunno, I really, really like the vintage stuff and much of it is preferable to the POTF2 stuff, mostly because of neutral, non-He-Man poses.  But I do think that the POTF2 stuff is fairly representative of the era in which it was produced.  Buff figures were pretty normal for that time period. 

Will POTF2 ever achieve the prices vintage does?  Nope, not a chance as it was an entirely different era.  Production numbers were considerably higher and the era had changed: toys used to be sold to be played with, not collected.  When POTF2 initially came out, there was already some collectibility to vintage, though values were nothing like they are now.  But magazines proclaimed the benefits of leaving items in packages for future financial return.  Essentially there is a ton of POTF2 in star cases everywhere and limited demand because the sculpts are currently considered inferior.  For a value to be achieved, there'd have to be a)some rarity and b)limited supply coupled with strong demand.  Don't see it happening.

I do think POTF2 is unique from a display aspect, simply because of the styling and I'm keeping mine in spite of better sculpts of the same figure.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 04:47 PM »
i don't think it will, in terms of being as nostalgic and desirable.  but, i think there are already plenty of new collectors who are having to fill in the potf2 from the secondary market.   

i am not sure what exactly makes something vintage, but the biggest difference between vintage and mdern to me has always been that going and buying stuff from target is not nearly as challenging as working the secondary market.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 04:58 PM »
I think that's part of it John, but I think there's also a part that is related to the particular fashion in which items were originally sculpted.  Whether it's GI Joe, Star Wars, MOTU or anything else with a "vintage" era, I think pre-computer scanned/generated imaging for sculpts makes things vintage.  That said, I consider true vintage GI Joe to be the original 12" line, not the 3.75" stuff from the 80's.  But the argument can easily be made that there's vintage and modern Joe stuff. 

I think you need to have that gap where the product lost interest at some point or production was curtailed or ceased before you achieve that.  The modern SW stuff has simply evolved from He-Man to more realistic scans. 

Your comment though could apply to the orange carded POTF2 stuff now though - you can't find it at regular retail.  But I think the supply far outstrips that of the vintage stuff simply because of production size and how the toys were marketed in the first place - to be played with rather than collected in pristine, carded condition.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 05:19 PM »
i agree the gap in production is really the difference.  just like as a kid if you didn't get into sw until rotj you didn't consider the 1st 12 vintage.

right now potf2 is just stuff you didn't get.  even if it is 10 years old.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 07:16 PM »
The POTF2 line will be 30 years old, someday. Yes. But I doubt they'll be regarded the same way the Vintage line is... Most of the POTF2 figures were butt ugly, while the Vintage line was pretty consistantly kickass.

I have to agree. I don't see the POTF2 crowd being as nastalgic as the vintage crowd. In the end, the POTF2 figures are kind of embarassing. It's one thing to be simple like the vintage line, it's another to be stupid.

Plus, when POTF2 came around, everyone was putting a carded set away making them as common as dirt.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 09:19 PM »
POTF2 can never be vintage because there were vintage figures.

As also stated earlier, and several times, in this thread, every line from POTF2 and on a LOT of people purchased figures, vehicles, whatever and kept them boxed and the supplies of these figures was/is much higher than the Kenner Vintage days.

I'm not knocking POTF2, EP I, POTJ or any of the other lines (except the Early saga stuff....that was pure crap and actually got me to stop collecting for a while), but even though there are some figures that are extremely rare in the more modern lines I don't think I could ever call them Vintage....even the EP I stuff that I've actually heard called the "New Vintage".
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 08:20 AM »
To me vintage will always mean "came out when the movies were originally in theaters" or very close to it.  I enjoyed getting POTF figures because I was getting much more for my money than I could from the vintage market. But POTF2 can be collectible without being vintage.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 11:43 PM »
POTF2 can be collectible without being vintage.

i don't think anyone is arguing this point.  pretty much everyone who has chimed in has a complete set of potf2.  the debatable point is when or how exactly could potf2 shift to another vintage type collectible.  i think the only way is for SW to go off the market for like 10 years and then re-emerge.  then there would be 3 tiers to SW figures vintage, potf2 etc, and current stuff.  only really then would collectors have to make the decision whether to go back and collect the potf2 era stuff.  cuz right now you aren't complete unless you have monkey face leia right thru whatever the newest figure is.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 1, 2006, 06:18 AM »
POTF2 can never be vintage because there were vintage figures.

Great point Matt. The Vintage stuff isn't going to just disappear all of a sudden making POTF2 the new vintage. The Vintage line will always be there so nothing else can be truly considered vintage.

POTF2 is still considered part of the modern line because the modern line hasn't stopped since then. If the modern line were to end in the next few years and then for some reason start up in another 10 years or so (like John was saying) you might be able to make the argument that POTF2 was Vintage 2.0. But then you get into the argument that everything up until the 30th Aniversary (Or whatever the last line will be) is also Vintage. And for me it is hard to classify my buff POTF2 Stromtroopers with my VOTC and SAGA2 troopers. Unlike the Vintage figures which all display well together, you can't have a POTF2 buff figure near any of the newer stuff. When we refer to vintage right now we aren't just refering to the ANH stuff, but everything from ANH all the way through POTF.

I personally don't see POTF2 ever being held as high as the Vintage line. And I personally will never be refering to is as vintage.
"This is the way."