Author Topic: Saga-061 Super Battle Droid (Island Camo)  (Read 18313 times)

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
Re: Super Battle Droid (Island Camo)
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2006, 12:37 AM »
Am I the only one who is picking this figure up?

No, I'll be joining you. I'm getting the Clones too, but they need some damn droids to fight.
yeah im gonna pick up some more now i realy dont care  i think there a good match for a battle with barc troopers  ;D
Momar and Fester

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Since I'm not there doing this I don't mind bragging for them...  Our photos here are much higher res and clearer for details and whatnot. 

That's just some beautiful work by Jared and Matt out there, so kudos to the guys.  Check out the Hasbro Gallery for all the rest.

As far as the Battledroid...  I like it, but that's me.  I've sorta been asking for camo battledroids this past year actually (though just decent cream and red would be nice Hasbro...  ya know, ones that stand and all that).  This interesting sand/woodland cammo job is kinda cool to me.  I like that the arm's the firing pose one too.  I hope the figure is sturdy is all.  I'll buy a nice little army of these SBD's for certain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
Re: #61 Super Battle Droid (Island Camo)
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13 PM »
This figure is actually kinda cool, visually and conceptually. it may not have appeared in the films, but who's to say that the Seps didn't deploy differently deco'd droids across the galaxy to fight on different fronts? The events in the 6 films cannot be EVERYTHING that ever happened, everyywhere in the entire length and breadth of that entire million-system Galaxy, they are just a glimpse at some "major" events. If Clones can come in all of their Skittles-colored glory and you love them and buy them by the cartfull, why can't BDs? In early design sketches for AOTC, each "union" in the Sep Confederacy was supposed to have differently colored BDs so I really don't see any reason to be upset over this. Just think of them as "Concept Art" figures if it'll help you sleep better at night ;)

If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple as that. That's what I do with Clones. I don't cry about the fact that they are being released, I just don't buy them.

Maybe Hasbro is just making toys for kids to play with and not worrying about picky adult fans? Maybe they are just using alittle imagination and testing the waters for easy ways to keep the line alive between the end of the movies and the beginning of the TV shows?

(EDIT:  I edited out a large middle portion of the text of this post...  I've addressed the situation already so it needs no explanation.  Keep the discussion to toys.  The rest is just looking for a fight which I refuse to allow.  JJM)

I think this figure and his BD 2pk companions are pretty nice looking. I won't be buying them myself as I am no longer buying any Prequel-era items as they serve no real use in my "Universe" but I actually like that Hasbro is using some imagination and actually "playing" with the Star Wars Universe a little bit like Kenner did back in the Vintage days. C'mon, Mini-Rigs anyone? Imperial Troop Transport? Side Gunner? Micro-Rigs/Body-Rigs (they are referred to by both names)? All very cool, fun ideas that never saw a second of screen time but for the most part looked as if they could "exist" in Lucas' playground (there are 2 Mini-Rigs I dislike the design on, but don't begrudge them their existance). I see these camo droids in the same light. Just like I see the first wave of POTF2 Deluxe Figures. Or most any "didn't actually see screen-time" toy.

Just remember this simple little tidbit:

For every EU-hating adult that buys Star Wars figures and laments the existance of this and other "non-film" toys, there are tens of thousands of kids that may pick up these toys in the stores and think it's the coolest thing they have ever seen because they are new and different.

And they are the ones that Hasbro really makes these toys for, not us.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:52 AM by Jesse James »
Looking for EXCELLENT 1/18 scale weapons? Check out Marauder, Inc.
www.marauderinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

1 Stop Shopping For all Your Customs Needs:
www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Well said Spectre. After all, these are CHILDRENS TOYS. I always laugh my ass off when some member on RS says something to the effect of "That figure is not SA! It sucks and is a piece of ****! Is Hasbro retarded!?" or "Comic Con '06 was full of rehashes and repaints! I need new figures! This sucks!"

:P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2006, 09:31 PM »
If Clones can come in all of their Skittles-colored glory and you love them and buy them by the cartfull, why can't BDs? In early design sketches for AOTC, each "union" in the Sep Confederacy was supposed to have differently colored BDs so I really don't see any reason to be upset over this.

Because we still don't have an adequate sculpt, or adequate quantity of the super battle droids and battle droids.  I doubt there are many who wouldn't have rather seen a brand new 14 point SA sculpt of a battle droid and super battle droid in their regular movie colors, than this EU repaint of the existing ****** sculpts.

This is what we want:

Not a spiffy new camo paintjob on the old ****** inadequate sculpts that can barely stand up with poor articulation.

They're just toys. You dont actually need to buy them if you don't like them.

We're aware, but you're aware this is a collecting forum right?

And they are the ones that Hasbro really makes these toys for, not us.

I missed those legions of 4 year olds at Comic Con I guess.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:38 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Well said Spectre. After all, these are CHILDRENS TOYS. I always laugh my ass off when some member on RS says something to the effect of "That figure is not SA! It sucks and is a piece of ****! Is Hasbro retarded!?" or "Comic Con '06 was full of rehashes and repaints! I need new figures! This sucks!"

:P

I can assure you that many of us are not "laughing our asses off," and I've seen more completists declare an end to their purchasing habits than all of the previous Comic Cons combined.

Hunterofthepegs, I gotta say you really don't seem in touch with the majority opinion most of the time.  I'll leave it at that.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2006, 09:50 PM »
If Clones can come in all of their Skittles-colored glory and you love them and buy them by the cartfull, why can't BDs? In early design sketches for AOTC, each "union" in the Sep Confederacy was supposed to have differently colored BDs so I really don't see any reason to be upset over this.

Because we still don't have an adequate sculpt, or adequate quantity of the super battle droids and battle droids.  I doubt there are many who would have rather seen a brand new 14 point SA sculpt of a battle droid and super battle droid in their regular movie colors, than this EU repaint of the existing ****** sculpts.

This is what we want:

Not a spiffy new camo paintjob on the old ****** inadequate sculpts that can barely stand up with poor articulation.

New tooling costs money. These repaint/repack waves are meant to get more product into stores fairly quickly as more or less place holders until the next year's worth of product is ready to be rolled out, and to do it cheaply. Utilizing old, existing molds is much more cost effective. Hasbro wouldn't go through all of the expenses and time to make an all-new sculpt for a line-extending wave like this. It just isn't good business sense. That's not to say that there won't be an "ultimate" SA SB out there someday, just not in this particular wave. Remember, Hasbro has the license until 2018 so you still have plenty of time to see everything that you want.

And how do people not have an adequate quantity of BDs and SBDs? These figures were released en masse, and in multiple ways over the course of the last 4 years? These figures were also rather heavily packed in most of the assortments in which they shipped. The only way you cannot have an adequate amount of them is if you only bought one of them each time they were redeco'd.

As far as articulation, where would you even put 14 points on a SBD? They have no heads so that only leaves shoulders (which all SBDs so far already have), elbows (carded one has 'em, Dlx Yoda one doesn't),  knees (ditto the elbows), hips (all SBDs have 'em). That's 8 joints on the regular carded Saga one. You could probably work a rotational joint into the right wrist so the forearm could be in firing or rest position, and maybe some sort of cut at the waist (the figures design negates a ball joint here just like it does at every other joint). That's 10. What else do you need in an action figure? They're pretty well jointed for a figure this size. You want more articulation, go buy one of those butt-ugly visible joint-covered Microman figures. Unless you actually sit on the floor and play with your toys you don't really need them to be SA, and even if you do actually sit on the floor and play with your toys (I don't know how old you are, but I'm an adult so I don't play with toys, I just buy them because I like the way they look) there is a little thing called imagination so you can "pretend" that your SBD adjusts the angle of his ankles when firing his little wrist gun ;)

EDTIED to include latest remarks from Dressel Rebel:

(EDIT:  Text Edited from this post again for reasons already addressed.)

4 year olds (and kids in general) do not normally attend Comic Con unless their parents are collectors of some sort. To the general public, Comic Con is the domain of the weird obsessive adult collectors that the parents do not want their kids to grow up and become. Kids go to regular toy stores.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:02 AM by Jesse James »

www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Hunterofthepegs, I gotta say you really don't seem in touch with the majority opinion most of the time.  I'll leave it at that.

So what if he's not in touch with the "majority opinion"? That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with him, just that he has a different opinion than the "majority". He's entitled to his opinion, just like I am entitled to mine and you are entitled to yours, welcome to America.

If we all thought alike, we'd be some kind of "clones".... oh wait! That's what seems to be in vogue right now...   ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 10:01 PM by Spectre »

www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Dressel, you can pick up 3 for me.

And don't worry. I'll be building those BETTER troops right there with you.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2006, 12:15 PM »

Interesting statment (and once again, an uncalled for cheep shot) coming from someone who is out of touch with the majority opinion outside of collecting. :-X

And I will leave that at that. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Am I the only one who is picking this figure up?

Yes you are, as well as the only one who is PASSING on the Kashyyyk clone, Galactic Marine, and Parjai Trooper, as well as the only one who has the Naboo Hangar janitor in the top 5 army building figures of all time.

It must be a cold, cruel, isolated world where you are right now, my friend.  Come join the rest of us.  Ditch the droid, pick up the clones.

Heh..I find it interesting that this kid, Reid is getting punked in here like this. I don't think this 'figure' is any more 'stupid' than some of the thinking going on in this thread. Why is it than that he gets trashed for not picking up the figures that the complainers want? I find this ironic....somebody doing his part that can actually help you by removing more of these figures (you may think pegwarm?)off the pegs to give you more room to get your tons of army building clones and you wanna complain that he doesn't compete with you to get those said clones?! So you want him to ditch the droids and go for clones making less available in the SW community....?This thinking...no wonder clones can never be found..army builders want their competition to buy the same thing ::) :P.

For reference the comment about Reid being 'special'....you damn right he is ...he's
especially helping the clone army builders asses out right now by buying space on the shelf removing these droids that 'no-one wants ::)' in turn making room for more clones.

Have seen alot of folks in this thread that say they want to get this figure, I'll include myself in there. ;D. Wow there is ALOT of folks residing in that cruel, cold isolated world. ;)

The DS
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:36 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 05:17 AM »
OK, now that my time is slightly more free it's time to play clean-up I guess.

Here's the deal...  If you like it, comment on it and why you do like it.  If you don't like it, comment on it and why you don't like it.  Leave the personal crap out of this about how he/she collects or what he/she likes... 

Basically guys just cool it...  Talk about the toys and not each other, and let's let this die.

Now, my thoughts on the toy...

Personally I like it as a repaint, I don't like the figure choice though.  So it's a somewhat mixed bag to me, and upon reflection I'm concerned about the plastic as well (especially considering our recent Q&A with Hasbro this week, and their timely response on Battledroid plastic).

I am a fan of EU repaints because I'm a fan of militaria in general...  The camo style battledroids look cool to me and I'm ok with the notion of them being there just not in the films.  As Spectre also pointed out, this is a cheap repaint to crank out there to the public to fill out the year.

I'm not sure what it is with Hasbro in the last 2 years now but they do a whole lotta stuff up till the last quarter or so then they dump a bunch of repaints on the market.  This is good and bad in a way I guess.

For my money, if the figure isn't a piece of dung as far as its ability to stand on its own, I'll probably be picking up a number of them.  I am with Dressel Rebel though in my desire for a new SBD with better articulation at some point.  I can see 10 to 13 points of articulation on a SBD at some point or another myself (2 shoulder, 2 elbow, 2 bicep or forearm, 2 hip, 2 knee, 2 ankle possibly, and 1 waist).

My same opinion applies to any battledroid though, they're sorely needed in the line and in good quality as well.  The E1 BD's legs were sturdy and to me acceptable in detail...

I am a fan of some repaints, but like iwth GI Joe this kind of repainting for the sake of repainting can really get out of hand.  I think there is wisdom in the fear of that...  GI Joe went dayglo and it really was a dark time for the RAH line so that's equally plausible for Star Wars if Hasbro decides to run unchecked more or less.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I'm conflicted. We need more battle droids, but not in a wacky paint scheme. I'm not even sure if I'm going to get one to open.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 10:50 PM »
While I am not jumping for joy I will get a couple, I can see these as Kysheek (Wookie World) Droids. I would rather have regular versions but at least its something new for the droids. I am so sick of clones, the novelty really has worn off. The blue strip one, the one with green I get it already. I would rather see this than more clones.

Galactic Marine, cool.
Airbourne trooper, cool.
blue stripe clone, not cool.
Camo droids, somewhat cool.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline ATL

• Youngling
  • Cody shot my Illama
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Nothing's better than another crappy droid that they just can't get right! ;D
It seems to be that people are suckers for ****!Well I can't yell to much I'm one of them.
FOR THE REPUBLIC!
I love the 212th