Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 84508 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Battle of Yavin (Death Star) Wave
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2006, 10:45 PM »
About those jackets that Luke/Greedo and Ponda Baba wore.  I read another articles somewhere (beofre the intenet?) that stated that they were European Motorcycle jackets form the 1970s with a some small changes.  In fact, the OT had some pretty regular clothes used for the costumes.  Luke's pants were simple khakis and Han wore brand new, unwashed jeans.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
2007 Basic pics?
« Reply #136 on: December 4, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Anyone can scan their current Lees issue with pics of the newest 2007 figs for our viewing in here.., please? 8)

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: December 4, 2006, 09:44 PM »
Why in the hell are they sculpting figures with their legs spread apart so far?  The Guard and DST both suffer from Jerjerrod disease

Fett is great, hopefully it includes a poncho!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 4, 2006, 10:06 PM »
DS Trooper looks great... Nice to see a new sculpt.

The rest look good, but just not my cup 'o tea.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #140 on: December 4, 2006, 10:21 PM »
Holy Crap!  That Fett is the coolest thing ever.  Does it come with 2 helmets? Or is it a running change.  The others look awesome too!  These are so good that I'm not even upset that Biggs is not in his Tatooine gear! 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: December 4, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Holy Crap!  That Fett is the coolest thing ever.  Does it come with 2 helmets? Or is it a running change.  The others look awesome too!  These are so good that I'm not even upset that Biggs is not in his Tatooine gear! 
I think Biggs is coming in the Tatooine Wave (with Cantina Figures)

I hope there still is a Ceremonial Luke coming as well

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 4, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Why in the hell are they sculpting figures with their legs spread apart so far?  The Guard and DST both suffer from Jerjerrod disease

Somewhat, but they do have articulated knees.  The Death Star Trooper and Biggs are tremendous improvements over the previous versions.  

The Han is okay, too.  It's basically a VOTC Han Solo with some minor changes.  But I like the change in the little details like the gloves and headset.  I had thought that we were going to be getting a medal ceremony Han Solo, which is truthfully kind of boring.  This is at least a little more interesting.

The Rebel guard is cool, IMO.  The detail looks nice, and the accessories are pretty good.  I'll agree that the stance is a little wide, but it might make the figure a little more stable.

The concept Fett is kind of a mystery.  It looks like there might be some kind of a cape.  But the real thing that I'm wondering is whether or not there are there interchangeable heads?  And what's the deal with that chest plate?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #143 on: December 4, 2006, 10:40 PM »
To clear things up about the chest compartment...in one of the old Fett drawings (by Joe Johnston, if I remember) he has a flip open  rocket launcher of some sort coming out of his stomach armor.  Actually, it's almost a dart-launcher...funny that thye picked up on this.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: December 4, 2006, 10:47 PM »

Not doing things in a most movie accurate way bugs the living hell out of me, which is why I hate the stance.  Everything else is spot on, why muck with the stance...WHY!  Its ranking right up there as one of the most esoteric figures ever, not really an army builder, a really minor background character, who just stands there...I'll gladly buy two as he's an unmade character and those in my book are always welcome, but I'd much much much rather have seen either a new Tarkin or Ceremonial Leia.  

« Last Edit: December 4, 2006, 10:48 PM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 4, 2006, 11:02 PM »
I hear ya.  You might want to try doing what I've done with my own Moff Jerjerrod.  I used some of those small, clear rubberbands that Hasbro has been using and brought Jerjerrod's ankles a little closer together.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: December 4, 2006, 11:07 PM »
Oooh...

I like Han (but I always like Han).  I love the re-use of the gunner gear idea for Han.   Nice upgrade from the POTF2 versions.  :)

I like the DS Trooper.  About friggin' time for a resculpt on that one.

I like the Biggs (even if it is just another re-use of the Dutch sculpt).

I like the Rebel Guard.  If they can do this guy and the Naboo Soldier, they can officially make anyone now.  :P

Fett = EU = meh, but I'll most likely buy it anyway.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 30th Anniversary Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #147 on: December 5, 2006, 12:30 AM »
Han - VOTC Han was a fantastic figure, and these minor changes for the gunner gear are great.

Biggs - Vandar body was the best we could have hoped for. Can't fit in the X-Wing, but he'll match up with IE Wedge and VTSC Luke.

Death Star Trooper - Fantastic. Are those Obi-Wan Pilot legs? My only complaint is that the shoulders look too round, hopefully they can fix that by shaving them down (similar to the Death Star Gunner from this year).

Rebel Guard - Looks nice, and I'll get two to be guards. Maybe the action stance is to make it appeal to kids?

Fett - SA is good, but I'm not sure what's up with the chest or second helmet.

I'll pick them all up.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #148 on: December 5, 2006, 02:01 AM »
These look really good (the articulation seems to be up in general next year):

Luke: Where's Luke?

Han: Very smart use of the VOTC body.

Biggs: Again a smart kit bash that looks excellent. 

DS Trooper: Just out and out awesome.  No complaints.

Rebel Sentry: I love that they even did him; the legs are kind of WTH? but I like him.

Boba: Sweetness.  Don't get the helmet, but they put a lot into him.  I cannot wait to see Vader and Chewie now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: December 5, 2006, 02:45 AM »

Fett is great, hopefully it includes a poncho!

If it's any help. I've managed to fix the Endor Trooper legs quite well...  It's a little work but it's permanent and doesn't involve cutting or anything, just boiling and freezing, but it works dandy...

The honor guard looks to have articulated knees...  I'm giddy at the thought.  ;D  The wide stances are starting to eat a lot of stank ass though.  I wish Hasbro wouldn't try to make figures interesting on their own...  wide legs don't make them interesting to children.

Anyway, my thoughts on them all...

-Han rocks and I'd been asking for this one since VOTC Han came out...  Han w/Gloves and a headset head is fantastic.  I may even get another one to swap an extra clean head onto him with his gloves on since he does wear 'em without the headset a bit.  Perfect example of what Hasbro needs to re-use int he line.  SA all the way!

-Rebel Honor Guard...  I don't consider him nearly as boring as the Naboo guy, Jeff, but he's definitely a bit obscure.  He makes a GREAT base figure too for a Rebel Mid-Level Officer from Yavin, they just need to tool up a head with the ballcap style hat on it, or make a head with cap accessory...  whatever.

I'm curious on this guy, anyone else think his visor will come down on his helmet?  I hope so. :)  Either way, great figure...  Not what all the rumor lists were saying it was going to be (remember allt he rumors claiming it was a Rebel Fleet Trooper with the scanner pistol and the watch tower?  Guess not...).  Still, this is amazing and the wide leg stance is fixable so I'm ok with it...  Annoyed, but it's far superior to say the Endor Rebels and their shoddy arms.

-Biggs...  I'm torn.  "Dutch" is not the ideal X-Wing Pilot sculpt, I'm sorry.  He's way too tall and now Biggs is absurdly tall...  That said, I'm going to be pretty pleased to pick up this figure regardless.  I still hope for a new SA X-Winger sculpt sometime but till then "Dutch" is so-so and the headsculpt looks fantastic.

-Death Star Trooper (Imp. Naval Trooper)...  Somewhere in Texas, someone needs to change his shorts I'm guessing! :)  I love it...  The shoulders look a little different, but beyond that it looks super articulated or damn close to it with a great removable helmet and a nice generic headsculpt.  Count me in for a TRUCKLOAD of that figure.  I must build my army!  God I gotta start saving $.

Oh and the helmet sculpt...  Wow that's sweet looking. :)

-Boba Feet (Concept)...  Now, I know you're not too into him Jeff, but the concept Fett's been THE conceptual figure I've wanted since the Stormtrooper was unveiled...  And man Hasbro went to town on this one with super articulation, a flame accessory, 2 headsculpts...  I was hoping he'd have his poncho (cloth) too but it seems to not be.  I'm curious on his abdomen too and why it opens up.  Very freaky...

This wave has me happy beyond belief...  And yeah articulation on this wave at least seemst o be up, up, up up, and up...  Just as it should be for the $7 pricetag SW figures get these days.

That's an army builder's delight wave.  I'm ordering a case of those, I must have multiples!
« Last Edit: December 5, 2006, 03:01 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77