Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 84509 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #150 on: December 5, 2006, 02:53 AM »
Just adding in all 3 images here....

EDIT:

About modifying the figure's legs so the stance isn't nearly as wide...

I take some clear rubber bands ala what Nick mentioned, but I wrap them around the figure's hips...  But first, here's what I do to make the rubber band trick permanent.

I boil the figure ala a boil & pop in customizing...  Very simple, nothing major for customizing or anything...  I pull the figure out, and wrap a sturdy clear rubber band (one of the thicker ones works better) around the figure's legs at the hips so it secures his hips in the lower torso sockets VERY TIGHT.  This is to keep the hips from bowing outward in the next step, and it prevents the hips from loosening up then from stretching).

What I do then is take the figure who is very soft and pliable now at his limbs and such, and I push in on the figure's knees so I'm pushing the legs together.  Sometimes I use a small ajudstable clamp I have for hobbies (you can get these mini clamps at Sears for cheap if you're wondering).  I put the figure in a bowl of ICE water...  I do this all fairly quickly by the way.  He freezes in place and the plastic retains the shape...  It narrows the stance down, trust me.

It works on Jerjerrod, it worked on Endor Rebels too who have a horridly wide leg stance...  I've done it since the POTF2 days to get like my Ceremonial Luke to stand straight for instance. 

It's a thought...  It does improve the looks a lot.  My Endor Rebels are tolerable now...  well despite the ugly arms.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2006, 03:09 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 5, 2006, 06:54 AM »
Biggs looks like a cool figure. He'd go nicely with Zev in my snowspeeder. Han... not so much. I may get him in the hopes of the Falcon coming out again next year. Death Star trooper looks great, but I don't like his arms. Rebel Soldier is pretty neat, but my favorite has to be Boba. He looks awesome.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #152 on: December 5, 2006, 08:54 AM »
In the article it says there is a Luke coming who was not shown which is great news :)

Jesse...I have an extra Jerjerrod here, I'll give your tip a whirl, thanks ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 5, 2006, 09:05 AM »
I'm pretty excited about this wave overall, and for some new OT figures.  So far, in the first two waves, it seems like the "repacked" figures are at least good figures with some changes (the Obi-Wan in Wave 1 and the Han in this wave as examples).  That I think we can live with, especially with the figures they are using.

Han - Like Jeff, I'm always excited about a Han, and this one looks pretty spiffy.  Definitely a nice use of the VOTC sculpt, I'm looking forward to it.

Death Star Trooper - Very nice, and something I think many of us have been hoping for.  I'll be picking up several of these if possible.

Biggs Darklighter - The Vander body is a little on the tall side, but I'm happy we're getting this figure as well.  I never had the POTF2 version, and this one looks pretty nice.  Always nice to further flesh out the Rebel Pilots too.

Rebel Honor Guard - Pretty cool that we're getting this figure at all.  The stance is a little wide, but it looks nice otherwise.

Concept Boba Fett - I think this looks pretty nice.  Concept figures aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like the McQuarrie ones and I'm glad we're getting several next year.  I'm wondering what the deal is with the helmet - interchangeable or (gasp) chase?  I hadn't ever seen the opening tummy rocket thing either :).  Looks like a really nice figure though, looking forward to it.

I'm also glad to see in the text that the Luke is still on the way.  I'm curious what it will turn out like, it was rumored to be a Ceremonial Luke, right?  Overall, another solid wave from the looks of things, and if the trend of more articulation, smart re-uses (Pilot Obi, VOTC Han, etc.), and new sculpts continues we could be in for a heck of a line next year.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #154 on: December 5, 2006, 09:15 AM »
All of these figs look great IMO. I'm interested in seeing the Luke though, is it the Ceremonial Luke?

Here is some concept art of the McQuarrie/Joe Johnston Fett where you can see the flip down dart panel and the concept/alternate style helmet

« Last Edit: December 5, 2006, 09:32 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 5, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Wow, they are making OT figures next year?  Who would have thought?.........

Ok, keep in mind that at the end of this post, I will admit to buying all of this wave and multiples of most.....

Han-Love it.  They can re-issue the VOTC Han with little changes (Ceremony, Stormtrooper Belt, With Gloves, no Head-set) all day long and I will buy one of each.

Biggs-I guess this figure needs to be looked at in the entirety of the line.  Compared to the POTF2 one, this thing ROCKS.  Compared to expectations, it disappoints.  I'll snag one or two and hope that the definative Xwing body shows up one day (maybe on Wedge) and do a head swap.  Plus I like that gun.

Rebel Guard.  Wide stance can be fixed (thanks to JJ) I definately like it and will get a dozen at least.  It is ready for generic Rebel Officer status as well.  I can't tell which sidearm he has, but that will just be a bonus.  I like the almost SA too.

Boba Fett-  I am not too big on Concept figures, but this figure just blows me away.  It looks to have really good articulation.  Definately get one.

Death Star Trooper.  It looks good.  But I am not convinced this is an entirely new sculpt.  I think this is either ROTS Dooku or Evolutions Dooku with some changes (compare the knees and shoulders).  A nice kitbash to be sure and as previously stated I will get a dozen (or more, just to get the helmet)  Now as far as the boots go....this is not an Episode IV DST.....they wore lower "Jack" style boots as oppossed to these "Officer'/"Riding" style boots as seen in Ep V.  And the gun while not entirely incorrect is less desirable than the one that ole Bigs is coming with.  I am sure this is the last version of this guy we will ever get so I will take it and just be glad we didn't get the "Jumpsuit" version from Ep VI.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 5, 2006, 09:38 AM »
I'm very pleased with this wave. I agree about the leg stances though, and I will have to try the boil and freeze thing.

Looks to me like Biggs might have new or different arms at least. The right arm looks to be about the same leght as the left one, which isn't the case with the Vander arms.

The DS Trooper looks darn near perfect. Not sure about the shoulders, but I'll just have to wait and see when I get one in hand.

Love all the heads sculpts too. They look pretty sharp.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 5, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Wow, considering the amount of rehashes and repaints we got this year, this one wave totally blows me away.  Imagine how fun this hobby would be if all waves were as exciting as this one?!

Funny how they show this fabulous wave on the same page as the lame-o comic packs... ;D  talk about two ends of the spectrum.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 5, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I will buy all of those Yavin figures; two each of the DST and Rebel guy.

That Boba Fett is pretty rad.  My favorite part is the AT-ST driver head in his stomach. Isn't that what that is?  Because that's what it looks like to me.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #159 on: December 5, 2006, 11:04 AM »
**** YEAH!!! This is what I like to see when I check the SW sites! I'll be picking up all of these, and multiples of the Imperial Trooper, Rebel Guard and Boba Fett (my new Mandalorian army builder).
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 5, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Ha, is it just me or does the 2 different helmet versions have 2 different gunsas well? It certainly looks like the figure is holding them a different way (with wrist upside down or normal gun holding position) in the pic presented. Or does the gun just look different because the pic for each has the gun at different angles :-\?

Thanks Lando,
Enter the mandalorians army builders- if this is short packed as Hasbro hinted at the SDCC..then they'll be a bitch to get because of all the mandalorean army builders. It's actually perfect material for army building; if I were an army guy ..shoot I'd just paint them different colors for the different Mandalorian's armors.

The DS

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #161 on: December 5, 2006, 03:02 PM »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 5, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Wow! this is a pretty awesome wave!!  :o

I might be grabbing all of these too!! I can't believe what I'm seeing... The first 2 waves for the 30th anni are spectacular!

My only grips with concept Boba is the lack of color and the lack of poncho. Just looks like the popped him out of the mold and threw some accents on him from the pics of the actual product. Of course, he doesn't have much on the drawings either. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #163 on: December 5, 2006, 04:54 PM »
I can't tell which sidearm he has, but that will just be a bonus.

Paul, I believe that the Rebel Honor Guard is packing a unique pistol...  He has, I believe, a black version of the one Cantina Pistol...  It first came out with Bo Shek and has been re-used once or twice I think.  It's also the appropriate gun for Dr. Evazan if they'd ever remake him.  I kind of dig the change-up for "Officers".

I really hope they make the Rebel Honor Guard with a ballcap style head sometime too...  They're REALLY abundant lower level officers or somesuch at Yavin IV.  There's another similar looking guy but the uniform has slight differences (and some have ascots on) but theyr'e less common and the uniform has subtle differences.  The Honor Guard body though is perfect for the other officers which were everywhere...  almost as abundant as regular soldiers really, haha.

Oh and I noticed the visor is down on the HG's helmet already, it just is tilted back and you see the face...  I wonder if the visor is movable still though?  It looks sort of big/removable.  Either way it's cool, just a thought on it.

This wave just has me pumped for 2007... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 5, 2006, 04:58 PM »
 ;D this is awesome.  I better go into my work website and reroute my direct deposit right to Hasbro in 2007.  '07 is an Amry builder/Customizer wet dream so far.

airborne clone trooper
galactic marine
concept boba (easily repaintable for Mando army)
DS officer
rebel sentry
removable  helmet stormie
All the Saga Legends AOTC/ROTS rereleased clones
concept stormie
SA Super battle droid
rumored VTSC snow trooper

:o

I think I'll only have cash for them and nothing left over for regular main figs.  The only thing that concerns me with the DS officer is, besides the head he looks kitbashed from several figs.  let me know if you think I'm right or just paranoid.  

Legs: black version of pilot Obi
skirt: black Jerjerrod's modified with those silver box thingys.
Torso & arms: Dooku's instead of the removable hands they're the extra long gloves.

Also where does that hose on Han plug into  ???

« Last Edit: December 5, 2006, 05:01 PM by jedipurge »
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge