Author Topic: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin  (Read 85067 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC Wave 2 - The Battle of Yavin
« Reply #255 on: April 2, 2007, 11:51 PM »
Wow!  I really like the Rebel Honor Guard and Death Star Trooper.  **** I like the entire wave.  I dont' know if I'll buy them all but do not have any gripes (or at least not many). 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 4, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Got to open up the entire set last night. Here are my thoughts.

Biggs, adequate. Nice head sculpt, nice helmet mold, but would have like more details on the sides of it. I can accept the body, but I don't think Hasbro can get away with using it for too much longer. I think new arms would have made a huge difference.

Han, another adequate figure. I think my only gripe is the swivel elbows. If this wasn't gunner Han, I'd have been okay with swivel, but I think if a new gunner seat was released, ball joint elbows would be essential.

Luke, second best figure of the wave. Sure, the head sculpt is off, but otherwise it's a solid sculpt with perfect articulation.

Rebel Honor Guard, if it wasn't for the leg stance, this would be a perfect figure. I'll have to find a way to correct it.

Boba is just cool. Best of the wave IMO. It's only flaw is the stomach compartment. The panel falls off easily because of how the waist is designed to accommodate it. I would also have liked a separate flame thrower accessor without the flame. but can't complain otherwise.

DS Trooper, biggest disappointment form me. One of two things killed this figure, either the sculptor or the articulation. Or a combination of both. There is no fluidity to the design. Each joint sticks out like a sore thumb and really detracts from the athletics of the figure. The stance is also a detraction. I have to turn each knee 180 degrees to help it not look do awkward. Sorry, but Hasbro really dropped the ball on this figure.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 4, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I think this wave looks okay, but I am passing on it. Nothing really reaches out and grabs my attention and I don't see a pressing need for anything in the wave.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 4, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Got to open up the entire set last night. Here are my thoughts.

Biggs, adequate. Nice head sculpt, nice helmet mold, but would have like more details on the sides of it. I can accept the body, but I don't think Hasbro can get away with using it for too much longer. I think new arms would have made a huge difference.

Han, another adequate figure. I think my only gripe is the swivel elbows. If this wasn't gunner Han, I'd have been okay with swivel, but I think if a new gunner seat was released, ball joint elbows would be essential.

Luke, second best figure of the wave. Sure, the head sculpt is off, but otherwise it's a solid sculpt with perfect articulation.

Rebel Honor Guard, if it wasn't for the leg stance, this would be a perfect figure. I'll have to find a way to correct it.

Boba is just cool. Best of the wave IMO. It's only flaw is the stomach compartment. The panel falls off easily because of how the waist is designed to accommodate it. I would also have liked a separate flame thrower accessor without the flame. but can't complain otherwise.

DS Trooper, biggest disappointment form me. One of two things killed this figure, either the sculptor or the articulation. Or a combination of both. There is no fluidity to the design. Each joint sticks out like a sore thumb and really detracts from the athletics of the figure. The stance is also a detraction. I have to turn each knee 180 degrees to help it not look do awkward. Sorry, but Hasbro really dropped the ball on this figure.

Anton, or anybody else that's lucky enough to have already found this, are the heads for the DS troop and Honor Guard interchangable.  Back in the day when Capt. Antilles and Admr. Ozzel came out their head could interchange easily.  That's one complaint I do have with Hasbro, if you're going to give these guys pop off heads the least you could do on most of them is make the heads interchangable.  Even the clones can't interchange their heads and they're all supposed to be the same person, basically.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Since1978

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 4, 2007, 02:14 PM »
Unfortunately they are not - somebody already commented on that over on RS...  I agree though, if they do ball joints, then the heads should be compatible from one figure to another.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 4, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Ok I got DS Trooper, Rebel, Luke and Han from Australia today..

I'll do a bit better write up later...but most everybody has covered it, but I do have some special words for the DS Trooper....

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 5, 2007, 10:12 AM »

Anton, or anybody else that's lucky enough to have already found this, are the heads for the DS troop and Honor Guard interchangable. 

No. :( First thing I tried. In fact, the DS trooper helmet is molded to fit his hair.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 5, 2007, 11:17 AM »
Those heads are pretty cool nonetheless, very good for generic civilian or Jedi customs.  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 5, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Yup as previously stated the heads don't swap...the helmets are pretty one head wonders too.

I've tried to put several heads on these (including the 28 I made for DS Gunners) and the only ones that fit and look fairly normal are....Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax which seem to fit pretty good on the Rebel...,but his helmet won't even begin to go on their head.  None fit the DS Trooper because he neck is "lurched" forward a bit.  And Moff Jerjerrod fits on the DST I need a sharpie for the hat though.

On a side note...Luke's head post is unique and can't be replaced with a VOTC/VTSC version...Han Gunner is also unique and can't be replaced with VOTC/VTSC Han heads. (I was going to put the head and hands on a spare VOTC to get the ball jointed elbows).

It is no secret that one of my favorite characters is the Death Star Trooper (Death Squad Commander to me for so many years)..this one just doesn't cut it for me.  I am not as upset with it as say Jesse is over the RFT or Chewie is with the lack of playsets, but I really wanted something different. 

Cons:
THE BOOTS ARE  WRONG for Episode IV.  Plain and Simple.  T
he Helmet doesn't fit or look right.
Wrong Weapon for Episode IV.
Awkward stance.
Neck Paint is an entirely different color than the plastic used for the head (and I am 100% in support of flesh colored plastic over painted)

Pros:
Articulation is great (I'll trade Sculpt for Articulation if sculpt is not entirelyl compromised)
Except for the boots, the Uniform is very well represented.
An Imperial without a Clone Head..REVOLUTIONARY indeed.
Possibility of a Gray one.

So don't let the negativity fool you..I'm still snagging 12-24....this will be the last time we see this guy, better get em while I can.

As for the comment that the Rebel is too much like a green plastic army man....that is the appeal or me.  He is good for what he is.  12-24 of him too.

After looking at Luke and Han's boots, I think I can be convinced that the ankles are perhaps the least important part of articulation for me.

Luke is my favorite of the bunch.  I am going to try to get pictures or hook up with Rob so he can take some.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 5, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Yeah I noticed the wrong gun too. It should be the gun the RFTs were using at the beginning.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #265 on: April 5, 2007, 09:42 PM »
After looking at Luke and Han's boots, I think I can be convinced that the ankles are perhaps the least important part of articulation for me.

I generally agree so long as the ankles aren't pre-posed.  It's tough to look at Cody and say ankles aren't important.  What's important though, more than the articulation, is that the feet are simply sculpted flat and "neutral" instead of that lean Hasbro loves to give some figures.  Cody still burns me up.  Hasbro really screwed the pooch on him.

I'd also add that, while some may disagree, I find that the waist is one joint you sometimes can look at omitting like ankles.  It doesn't bother me on the Evo Sandtrooper or Evo Clone (E2) sculpts anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 6, 2007, 09:51 AM »

So don't let the negativity fool you..I'm still snagging 12-24....this will be the last time we see this guy, better get em while I can.

Same here. I have 36-37 to get. :-X

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 6, 2007, 11:47 AM »
Ever notice how the rebel honor guard head looks alot like General Tagg from the DS Briefing set?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 6, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Just a heads up for people, portions of this wave (Han/Luke/Biggs) are currently in stock at HTS.com.  It looks like the McQuarrie Fett, Rebel Honor Guard, and Death Star Trooper are out at the moment.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 6, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Scored on this big time this morning.  Went yesterday and found Han and Luke and stashed them because pay day is today.  Went in this morning found my Han and Luke and went back over to toy isle and BAM!!!

Got 2x McFett's-left 2
1 han-3 or 4 left
1 luke-same as Han
1 Biggs-same as Han
but damn I couldn't resist all the Honor Guards and DS troops.
4 DS troops
2 Honor Guards.

Side note-with the Illum set at $4.98 there were 3 on the shelf, but 2 were missing the Padme's, box wasn't even retaped shut.  I'm intrested in the Cham driods only, should I go back and get them all even though 2 of them were still missing Padme's.  At $5 it's hard to resist especially since I haven't seen them at any of the other local Targets.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge