Author Topic: Photos of the collection... February 2020 Update  (Read 185244 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Finally took pictures of my collection... Updated 09.16.08
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Hmmm....I liked the earlier pics better.   :D

Rob, I hope you read all the threads on moving a collection.  Are you moving yourself or is a company moving you?

I haven't, where can I find that?  I think everything is packed well, and it's insured with State Farm, but it's all going in a truck with a moving company except for small box with the vintage figures that I'm taking in the car.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Just wondering if I'm the last  person to realize that you had used VHS tapes to form the risers for you collection.  Amazing collection Rob!  Are you planning on a similar set up in your new place?
I am not the Stig

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2009, 01:40 PM »
Just in case you weren't joking.

If you've packed averything well it shouldn't be a problem.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Just in case you weren't joking.

If you've packed averything well it shouldn't be a problem.

No no, I was serious - thanks for the link.  I'll check it out in a few minutes.  I basically put figures into sandwich size zip-lock bags, then sealed those up and put them into gallon size zip-lock bags.  There's lots of cushion just from that, but then I put all that into sturdy large boxes and added padding where necessary.  If the boxes don't get completely crushed, I'm confident that they'll be fine.  The statues are in their boxes (see photo) and I'm going to stuff those cabinets full of newspaper so they can't move around inside of them and I'll plastic-wrap the cabinets so they won't open.  Then I'm going to put the glass cabinets onto the truck against the wall, and use the book cases to sandwich them in place so nothing can fall into the glass.  I THINK they'll be safe, but I'm prepared to deal with any damage that happens...

Just wondering if I'm the last  person to realize that you had used VHS tapes to form the risers for you collection.  Amazing collection Rob!  Are you planning on a similar set up in your new place?

We're going to be renting for at least one year (maybe as many as three).  I'm taking all my shelving and will try to set everything back up, but the room is much smaller.  It definitely won't fit on one wall, I'm not 100% sure that I'll have room to fit everything at all.  It'll basically be a guest bedroom / toy room.  The cabinets with the Gentle Giant probably will have to go in another room - not sure yet.  As for the VHS tapes, I don't think it's a secret or anything... I have lots of other things in there too.  Much of it is done with painted International Delight coffee cans stacked up, and then with little planks of wood running in between.  Anything that's light weight, black, and made from something rigid enough to support figures is great stuff to use.  It helps to have various sizes and shapes to be able to build different platforms for different items.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:16 PM by Rob »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Wow, just saw that I actually posted in that thread... it's been a long time!  I've got a hell of a different set of items to move now compared to back then...

Offline Packbar

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Tolman's Toy Emporium
« Reply #95 on: August 6, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Wow. . .simply a beautiful collection.  I just found this forum and came to the collection thread first to check out what I am up against and your collection stands out.  Those shelves are amazing I don't have a great setup yet so I am simply envious.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2009, 11:34 PM »
Thanks. :)  The collection's actually more complete now, it's also actually disassembled at the moment.  I just moved and have no idea if I'll be able to fit it all into this new, small, second bedroom.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 3, 2009, 01:45 PM »
Just...WOW.

Extremely impressive, the sheer size and depth of the collection. That is a major financial commitment.

Can I hazard a guess you don't have a wife or kids?  ;D

Major props - I am utterly humbled!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of the collection... Updated 09.22.2010
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I threw some fresh photos up here for anyone who's interested.   :)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Holy hell - that is one impressive setup!!  Now I wish I would have kept up on the gentle giant busts - the display is fantastic! 
Beth

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Holy crap Rob.  I thought before you moved you thinned out your collection.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16 AM »
Wow.... simply wow....  :o
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 5, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Holy crap Rob.  I thought before you moved you thinned out your collection.

I'm late getting to this, but I thinned it out pretty severely actually.  I ditched all the 12" line, unleashed, titaniums, an entire set of about 800 carded 3 3/4" figures and thinned out maybe 300 or so army builders.  I sold the prequel legos and boxed up the OT legos...

I keep thinking about what could go next... prequel mini-busts is about the only thing that's left that I'd consider but I'm not in a rush on that sort of thing.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08 PM »

I keep thinking about what could go next... prequel mini-busts is about the only thing that's left that I'd consider but I'm not in a rush on that sort of thing.

Heh, I'm over half way through getting rid of the prequel stuff.  All my GG stuff is OT except for Mara Jade and the first Maul bust. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of the collection... Updated 02.07.2012
« Reply #104 on: February 7, 2012, 04:50 PM »
I put some updated pictures up, if anyone's into that sort of thing.