Author Topic: Do You Tip?  (Read 9431 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Do You Tip?
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Do you tip at a Chinese Buffet?

(I have a bunch of other ones to ask...stay tuned)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Tip?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Nope.  Aside from being seated, the direct service is minimal.  I assume they factor that into the price I'm being charged for the buffet.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 04:32 PM »
I do, but I usually get alot of entertainment out of the waitresses... Totally worth it, and after I leave I'm sure they feel they've well deserved it. It amuses me when they constantly refill my drink, to the point of overflowing onto the table, even if I'm obviously not drinking it in the first place. They'll practically pour it into your lap, it's kinda suspensful.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 04:36 PM »
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:45 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:42 PM »
yes, but only like 10%.  as mentioned before really the only service you are getting from the waitstaff is drink refills.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I was actually going to start a thread like this but hadn't gotten around to it yet...

I am a tipper, who isn't.  But I never tiped for take-out... if I pick the pizza up myself, buffets stuff like that.

But two of my friends who I was out with a few weeks ago gave me absolute hell for not tipping the take-out people...

I was never doing it to stiff anyone, just because I hadn't gotten service so I didn't think you were supposed to tip?  My girlfriend and other people I know thought that was perfectly normal and reasonable, but these guys made me feel like a real ******* for not tipping all these people.

They said that if there is a tip line on the credit card reciept, you're supposed to tip.

B.S. or not?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Take out was my next one.

Places like Outback that have curbside service or Chinese/Pizza places where you go in and get it...

Offline Darth Jaxx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • POTF2.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Yes I tip at a buffet, but not as generously as I do at a restaraunt.
Besides refilling my drink, they do take away the plates & utinsels when you get up for seconds and also replenish the buffet as needed.
Also, the place I frequent the most has a very friendly wait staff.

As for take-out... I only use 1 pizza joint and 1 Chinese joint. They know me and take care of me so, yes, I tip there too. But again, not as generously as at a restaraunt.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:11 PM »
Sit down it's at least 20%. Cute chicks might get a bit more, but that's because I'm a perv. If it's bad service, then the waitstaff still gets something but very little to show I've haven't just forgotten about the tip. 

Take out and buffets, I'll usually throw them a few bucks.  Curbside brings your food to you, so that merits something.  Especially in the winter when I don't have to get out of the vehicle and freeze my ass off.  And like others have mentioned, buffet places do fill your glasses up and replace your plates when you go back for seconds, so that's deserving of something extra IMO.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 05:19 PM »
It honestly never occured to me to tip when I pick something up myself.  I'm not trying to stiff anyone -- but how does ordering a pizza, me driving to get it, waiting around for them to finish it and then paying for it merit a tip for them?  What's difference between that and me walking up to the counter at any other food joint and ordering a salad/sandwich/pizza and having someone prepare it for me?   Must I tip everyone? ???
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:47 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 05:24 PM »
i kinda think the whole world has gone tip crazy.  every time i order at quiznos i notice the tip line on my reciept.  i always think i should write something like "a sandwich shouldn't cost $8", or "every taco bell combo gets a large cup".  but, i just scratch thru it.  i can't imagine tipping for something like that.  

actually, until my little brother became a pizza guy and i found out that like 2/3 of their income comes from tips, i never tipped them either.  i never really thought (and still don't) driving around passing out pizzas was worth more than minimum wage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 05:31 PM by john todd »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 05:29 PM »
A couple of months ago I had a girl's night out.  We had a few drinks and appetizers.  When our checks came, I noticed there was a line on the receipt that said "tip" -- then there was another line that said "additional tip".  So -- having a few Swamp Things in me, I filled in the appropriate tip, under "additional tip" I wrote -- "Avoid the Clap -- Jimmy Duggan" :P

Pissed me off, really. >:(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 05:30 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat as Tracy.  And I worked in the restaurant industry as a bartender and waiter for nine years.  My rules are thus:

Tip for service when it's due, not when it's expected.  If someone does a good job, give what is expected - whatever the standard in your area is.  But be wary, often those standards are suggested by the very people serving you and working in the service industry.  If someone does an exceptional job, tip them better than you normally would.  If someone does a really crappy job, leave them nothing.  Don't leave a few coins thinking you'll insult them, leave them nothing.  Why?  They'll get the picture much more clearly and won't just think you're a cheap idiot.  

Most restaurants pay their employees minimum wage and the difference they make is based on incentives or tips, as we call them.  Otherwise they starve, but you know what?  If you're crappy at serving, you shouldn't get more just because you show up.  

I can see merit in tipping at a buffet, initially I was thinking of a buffet where you walk in, pay and get pretty much everything yourself (we have those here) including your beverage which is non-alcoholic.  But I think Scott is referring to a different type of restaurant than I was initially thinking and we do indeed tip there, because we order booze with the meal and they bring water and refill it, etc.  

As for tipping at a pizza place when I pick up?  It has merit, but again, it's based on merit.  We often order from the "usual" place, so I tend to know the guys pretty well on a familiarity basis.  Do I tip them?  Yup, if stuffs ready when they say it is.  It pays dividends in that we tend to get better prepared pizza because they remember the name and that we tip.  We'll get extra toppings and have received larger pizzas for nothing in return.  But I won't tip if you tell me 30 minutes, I show up in 35 and wait 20 more.  I'll also tell you why though.  

I much prefer places where the tip is factored into the meal price and the staff are reasonably compensated.  I loathe serving staff that feel they deserve a tip though and I used to work with a lot of them.  You earn it, not deserve it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 05:35 PM »
As for tipping at a pizza place when I pick up?  It has merit, but again, it's based on merit.  We often order from the "usual" place, so I tend to know the guys pretty well on a familiarity basis.  Do I tip them?  Yup, if stuffs ready when they say it is.  It pays dividends in that we tend to get better prepared pizza because they remember the name and that we tip.  We'll get extra toppings and have received larger pizzas for nothing in return.  

for this exact reason when i go to my usual bar i will tip a little every time i get something, but anywhere else, i never tip at a bar.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 05:40 PM »
I normally tip a dollar per person at a buffet.

Eating at a restaurant I usually double the tax which is around 8%.  I'll give more if the waiter/ess is good according to my standards.